I picked up an Ibanez Gio GAX70 for a good price and after a pickup swap, it really isn't too bad for a beginner guitar. I was having some fret buzz issues and realized that it was due to worn frets. While that's not weird by itself, it's the *pattern* of worn frets that has me puzzled. Nearly all the frets are in good shape, and all the worn ones are in one small area near the nut and on the three high strings. I'm hoping someone can figure out why a guitar would have this kind of wear pattern. The chart only shows the worn areas, if there was no significant wear, it's not listed (+ = a bit of wear, ++ = more wear, +++ = good bit of wear)

D string: 1 +++ 2 +++ 3 + 4 +
B string: 1 ++ 2 +++ 3 ++
e string: 1 + 2 ++ 3 +

What would this guitar have been used for to cause this kind of wear?
it may have been in the area it was rested against or something was resting against it

Some people play differently than others.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well now seems to me that axe was played on those frets more then others .....lol.may be slide on it not sure .but it can be more would have to see it for sure ....buzz could be old strings ,dirty string ect .......a lot to figure out ........sure there are others out there could help you sa well....I have flat top ibanze ,love it have had it over 13 years she has same worn spots on her as well....best one I have kept over the years ,,,,,,,,has pick up in her ,,,play it a lot to learn new tunes or just to pick on .best buy for the buck ......has old paper case that is fallen apart......lol. but she plays well ,has held up over many years of banging her around .....lol... take it to shop have them look at it best advice I could give ya chuck d
That's a very standard wear pattern. Especially with beginners doing mostly open chords, the 1-5 areas get all the work. If the action is a bit high, that's even more likely, because those same beginners will be "gorilla gripping" the chords (really cranking down on them, rather than using a light touch). Same thing happens if the user's been doing a lot of thrash or punk and jumping around a lot and really beating on the guitar.

Often a good tech can replace just the worn frets rather than doing a complete refret, and if you plan to keep the guitar for a while, it may be worth looking into that. Economically, however, you need to consider whether it might just be smarter to pass on that guitar and look for one that has little or no wear. Next time you'll know what to look for.
Quote by dspellman
That's a very standard wear pattern. Especially with beginners doing mostly open chords, the 1-5 areas get all the work. If the action is a bit high, that's even more likely, because those same beginners will be "gorilla gripping" the chords (really cranking down on them, rather than using a light touch). Same thing happens if the user's been doing a lot of thrash or punk and jumping around a lot and really beating on the guitar.

Often a good tech can replace just the worn frets rather than doing a complete refret, and if you plan to keep the guitar for a while, it may be worth looking into that. Economically, however, you need to consider whether it might just be smarter to pass on that guitar and look for one that has little or no wear. Next time you'll know what to look for.

I suspect you're right. I was thinking if it were used for open chords, the E chord points would have also shown lots of wear, but now that you mention that, a person *would* naturally push more sideways on the strings closer to your palm, which would do exactly what I'm seeing.

In terms of cost, it was only $50, so I can't complain too much. And the only real fret buzz comes if I play an open D chord (naturally!) and then only if I strum pretty hard. I did a bunch of saddle height and neck relief adjusting to get it pretty well optimized and it has a nice low action and is otherwise pretty decent. I keep it in my office, where I really don't want to leave a good guitar. We haven't had any break-in problems, but you never know. This is a guitar that if stolen, I wouldn't be brokenhearted. It's good enough to practice on over lunchtime, and that's all I really ask of this one.

I'm not afraid to work on things myself, so if it bugs me too much, this would be a good guitar to learn fret replacement, eventually.