I did not realize that in addition to tube break up you have speaker break up too.

I understand the concept, but I am curious how speaker break up affects tone vs how tube break up does.

I guess to simplify my question: what tone would you get if your tubes were over driven and breaking up, but your speakers were not?
I think it's a bit logical;

Speaker breaks up > it's machanically being forced to do weird sh*t, the overdriven sound comes from speaker parts that can't keep up with the "power" > speaker will make a cold, sharp noise

Since the speaker is at it's maximum, the other parts are "forced" to NOT get to their full potential

Tube breaks up > less machanical parts that can fail > tube will make a better noise
Even if the tube breaks up, the speaker can be halfway it's potential, thus making the overdriven sound, sound much better, much warmer and smoother

It's the same when you're having a cheap set of speakers that you crank up while listening to music or so, it'll give you a horrible overdriven/distorted sound. While if you'd put - for some weird reason - a tube in the circuitry from your mp3 to your cheap speakers, you'd get the same distorted sound, but much smoother.
Last edited by AmirT at Jan 15, 2014,