I need a rig for relatively low volume gigs. I've been looking at the following:

Jet City Amplification JCA22H Guitar Head
Harley Benton G112 or G212 Vintage cab
Palmer PDI-06 Attenuator

Could this give me a thick 80ies hair metal sound(like Motley Crue) at acceptable volume levels?
Sounds like a plan to me. Though I would go for JCA50h if you need cleans in band volume, (how low volume you are talking about really?) 22h may run out of headroom because the channel 1 on both is actually crunch channel. But then again it may not, I am speaking in theory now. Anyway, the lead channels on both are fantastic for 80 rock and metal tones.

What do you need Attenuator for? For gigging I really doubt you need one and at home its useful for getting poweramp distortion at bedroom volumes but do you need to have that? If preamp distortion is all you need the amp has perfectly functional volume knob to keep down. Attenuator would be a waste of money. Just my opinion though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 15, 2014,
I can always put off the attenuator for later and hear what it sounds like. I don't know if I need the 50W as I'm always going to be miced anyways. Besides, who needs a clean channel :p

EDIT: Also, I just sold my rig with a Soldano SP-77 and a Marshall 9100, and that was way too loud.
Last edited by Boz0r at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by Boz0r
I can always put off the attenuator for later and hear what it sounds like. I don't know if I need the 50W as I'm always going to be miced anyways. Besides, who needs a clean channel :p

EDIT: Also, I just sold my rig with a Soldano SP-77 and a Marshall 9100, and that was way too loud.

Then scratch the headroom part. When miced 22w will be fine. Also as a cab I'd take the 2x12 Harley Benton over the 1x12. 2X12 is closed back which works better for rock (IMHO) and it looks badass when you put it sideways and that small head on top of it. A mini-halfstack.

maybe get a decent OD instead of the attenuator.

Agreed. Get a Bad Monkey or such overdrive pedal instead. Either as clean boost or little extra kick for leads.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I've got a TS9DX, MXR Micro Amp, a DS-2 and a Way Huge Fat Sandwich. I'll try running them all through as boosts, or something.
Quote by MaaZeus
Then scratch the headroom part. When miced 22w will be fine. Also as a cab I'd take the 2x12 Harley Benton over the 1x12. 2X12 is closed back which works better for rock (IMHO) and it looks badass when you put it sideways and that small head on top of it. A mini-halfstack.

Anyway, yeah, 22w mic'd will most likely do the job.
Up for the 2x12, the sound is way wider compared to a 1x12.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ yeah sounds like you're already sorted. i'd try it without an attenuator first, as they suggested. it might be fine.

an sd1 sounds pretty good through it, i think. bit fizzier and more hair metally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2

I meant cab vertically. Its a perfect match.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Went ahead and ordered the head and 2x12. Also ordered a Harley Benton Vintage Phaser for 30€, to see if it can do some Van Halen for cheaps.
^^

It looked better before to me.
But anyway it's a bit uncomfortable to keep 2x12s vertically with the fact that you gotta find something soft to put between that and the ground/pavement.
And I'm not even sure the JCA22H is small enough to fit on top of that cab XD
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
^^

It looked better before to me.
But anyway it's a bit uncomfortable to keep 2x12s vertically with the fact that you gotta find something soft to put between that and the ground/pavement.
And I'm not even sure the JCA22H is small enough to fit on top of that cab XD

The JCA22h is about 50cm wide, Harley Benton cab vertically is 52cm wide. Its a good match. You are right about the ground though but you can always remove the legs and screw them to other side. That is, if you dont mind extra holes in your cab.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Boz0r
Went ahead and ordered the head and 2x12. Also ordered a Harley Benton Vintage Phaser for 30€, to see if it can do some Van Halen for cheaps.

Just a suggestion regarding the Palmer PDI03....while it's a great unit (I owned one for several years), don't buy one just because EVH used one. If you really need an attenuator, the THD Hot Plate will do just about the same things as the Palmer unit at about half the price. I use a THD as a dummy load box in my VH rig. Just about every attenuator will suck a bit of the liveliness & crispness from your sound anyway, unless used as a load only.
If you're really into some amazing old VH tone at any volume, pm me & I'll explain my re-amp rig (if you don't already know about those) that's basically a copy of EVH's rig on the first album.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Boz0r

should do. i think it's a phase 90 clone. that's what i got mine for, anyway (VH) and I haven't felt the need to get another phaser, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?