Hey guys,

I was wondering how you care for your guitars? I took one of my electrics in and they said the fretboard was dry. Does anybody have any suggestions out there on how I can avoid this?
I'm not sure if it will prevent it from being dry, but I use a guitar cleaning kit that has 2 spray bottles and 2 rags. One of the sprays is for polishing the fretboard, the other for polishing the body.
Humidifying electric guitars is something I'm not familiar with. Unless you are storing it closed in a case for a very long time, a climate controlled environment (like the average house) should be fine.
Acoustics are another story, as being overly dry or humid can really mess with them.

Was your fretboard cracking or anything like that? Why did you take it in?

To answer your question, mine are usually out on a rack or hanging on the wall unless I know I won't be playing them for a while, then they go back in the case. I have cases for each one. (yes, my closet in the studio area is quite full)
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I clean my fretboards with guitar lemon oil every time I give the guitar in question a setup, which is every 4-6 months or so. I've had the same bottle of lemon oil for years and use it to maintain 5 guitars... a little goes a long way!

I also use high-grade automotive wax on my guitar bodies for protection and shine, but that's because I work for a car care company and get the stuff practically for free
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
@ryanbwags, I took it in to trade it on a Les Paul and the dude said the fretboard was dry, not cracked, just dry. Thanks for the advice on the lemon oil for guitars. I'll get some tomorrow and start doing all of them. I love this forum...the help is unreal. Thanks
a "dry" board is not an issue.

he may have been trying to talk down the price on the trade in.

only use the dunlop a couple times a year.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Use Gorgomyte once a year. Cleans and treats the fretboard and polishes frets. Wonderful stuff!
"hey wait a minute. your guitar isn't tuned correctly, that's gonna lower its value dramatically."

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

lol. Funny thing is, is that I buy most of my guitars from them. He did say it like it was a bad thing. Kinda makes me disappointed. After all I've spent there I expect complete honesty. It's a 2004 Telecaster with a quilted maple body and a gorgeous blue color. It's a california model and I paid $1300 used for it from another guitar shop. It'll be interesting to see what he offers me for it.
I don't know much about guitar value. He did note that the neck pickup had been changed out. I don't think that's a big deal either personally. It's a sweet telecaster and I feel it would sell fast for them. I'm trying to trust him cause I like the dude a lot and I've been going there for years as I said.
I tend to trust a little too easily.
Last edited by Vblue at Jan 16, 2014,
ok well maybe he's cool. see if he does the right thing.
check eBay find comparable guitars.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Play it hard and put it away wet.

Sell it when it gets too dirty, buy a new guitar.

Problem, guitar owners? :p
Wipe the fretboard with lemon oil.

Should only need to be done once or twice a year.

This stuff:
Last edited by Virgman at Jan 25, 2014,
I leave them lying on the couch. I've only got one rosewood fretboard. I've got a bottle of lemon oil, used it once. Bolt-on's almost require less energy to fix and setup than to continuously maintain to get the same end result, it seems.

Humidity is really the key, especially with rosewood so your fret ends don't start popping out.
Quote by Virgman
When the fretboard with lemon oil.

Should only need to be done once or twice a year.

This stuff:

old English is basically mineral oil, which is fine for rosewood.

just don't confuse it with a "pledge" type of
cleaner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I store my guitars on stands or in their case. Use a hardcase or heavily padded gigbag every time I bring a guitar outside the house. I am careful about sudden changes in temperature and humidity. I clean them when they're dirty. Use lemon oil on the rosewood fretboards once a year. I don't bang my guitars around.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by JustRooster

Humidity is really the key, especially with rosewood so your fret ends don't start popping out.

Maple fretboard master race.