Greetings,
I have a pretty dumb question. I'm very new to stacks and how to properly choose the right speaker output.
So: I have a Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series 300 Watt 16 Ohm Box from the 80s which I got for very little money. I already have a Marshall AVT150 Head with one 4 Ohm and one 8 Ohm speaker output. Since I got it with a matching AVT Box I never thought about what it is about ohms and just plugged it in without any problems.
But will the AVT150 Head work with the JCM Box? I have absolutely no idea and I no knowledge about electronics, resistance or anything. I suck at math, electronics and science
Any advice would be great.

Note: I do not plan on using the AVT Head together with the JCM Box in the future. I'm upgrading my entire equipment and will get a new head. I just got the box and want to try it (or maybe not, depending on what you say)

Short: Head with 4/8 Ohm speaker outputs and 16 ohm box. Do they work together?
Last edited by Reinima at Jan 15, 2014,
Yes you can use it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry for ignorance and I'm not trying to threadjack, but what are these "boxes"? I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
He's talking about 4x12 cabs. He is just calling them a box
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It actually won't matter a lot but just use the 8 ohm output on the amp and you'll be fine.
Some of those JCM800 1960's rock. Take a look at what speakers are in it and tell us. You'll have to remove the back board to do it. Even the worst ones are good boxes though and should be fine for whatever head you end up buying, depending on what head you go for. Maybe not the best thing for something like a Recto (but even then it will be ok) but it could be the ideal cab for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Take a look at what speakers are in it and tell us.

he said it was a 300 watt rated cab, wouldn't that make the speaker T-75's?

did celestion have other 75 watt rated speakers back then? i know they had quite a few speakers i had never seen from that era (like the G12-80)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Absolutely correct, gumbi.
I'll blame this hot weather for my oversight.

Those are not the cab everybody wants, well everybody after a vintage tone that is, but they are a very good cab nonetheless. I have effectively the same cab but the JCM900 version which has the switchable jack plate but otherwise identical. I've gigged with it for about 20 years. They're a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 15, 2014,
Thanks for your help!
I'm from Germany and we refer to cabinets here as boxes, so I'm sorry if that was misleading.
The cab is filled with T-75 speakers.
And I'm going for a vintage kind of sound and just saw this cab for about 300 euros and had to buy it. It's in great condition for its age (mid 80s).
Haven't decided on an amp so far, I'm still trying out different heads but that's not part of the discussion here. Anyway thanks!
The T-75's will probably do you just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification