PhD, not necessarily medical professionals.

When you got your doctorate, did you find a job at your host university or did you go to another one? If so by using your netwerk or just by applying to a random one?

i was hoping for someone to seriously answer the questions in OP, I need to know whether networks are important or that I can just apply for jobs at other ones if I get bored with my host university.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
ask me in a few years

In a few years I won't need your answer anymore.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
you'd make a great teacher.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
you'd make a great teacher.

I would. Looking forward to it. Think I will do themes. Every class a new theme. Star Wars, Pirates, Gay hookers.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
seriously professional trolls make the best lecturers. like, my investment lecturer was the best because he messed with the class's head constantly while teaching us valuable lessons about calculating risk.

if you are anything like you are here in the real world, your students will love and respect you.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
seriously professional trolls make the best lecturers. like, my investment lecturer was the best because he messed with the class's head constantly while teaching us valuable lessons about calculating risk.

if you are anything like you are here in the real world, your students will love and respect you.

I will make sure I will become a professor in Game Theory.

I will be a terific professor. My rise to fame will be shortlived. I will **** students, come drunk to work and streak all the time. 1000 euros for a passing grade.

edit: i was hoping for someone to seriously answer the questions in OP, I need to know whether networks are important or that I can just apply for jobs if I get bored with my host university.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm not going to get a job in my field. I don't think most people stay at their school. They look for post-docs at other universities, continue with a company they've been interning with, take up a position at a school they've been lecturing at during the summer, stuff like that. I constantly get e-mails from the NSA and from other schools with openings for tenure track positions.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm not going to get a job in my field. I don't think most people stay at their school. They look for post-docs at other universities, continue with a company they've been interning with, take up a position at a school they've been lecturing at during the summer, stuff like that. I constantly get e-mails from the NSA and from other schools with openings for tenure track positions.

Yeah I was quite surprised how all the research groups at my host universities don't seem to keep their PhDs. It just seems like a very weird system to me to train someone and then just let them **** off to who knows where and than brag about placement records.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yeah I was quite surprised how all the research groups at my host universities don't seem to keep their PhDs. It just seems like a very weird system to me to train someone and then just let them **** off to who knows where and than brag about placement records.

It's because they don't want to pay you longer than they have to. Masters and PhD students are cheap labor.
Quote by MakinLattes
It's because they don't want to pay you longer than they have to. Masters and PhD students are cheap labor.

Then I will just have to sleep with my professor for the job, don't I?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dreadnought
What a pretentious thread

Asking people advice on how to continue an academic carreer is pretentious? ok...
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Then I will just have to sleep with my professor for the job, don't I?

They might keel over halfway through.
Quote by MakinLattes
They might keel over halfway through.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MakinLattes
Then there'd be at least one opening.

It would be too suspicious.

edit: Are you going to do academic research or work for a company?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
It would be too suspicious.

edit: Are you going to do academic research or work for a company?

I'm not planning on either. If I had to choose, I'd stay in academia.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm not planning on either. If I had to choose, I'd stay in academia

I thought you were doing one atm?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm just a student.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Your network is about all-important in getting a post doctoral position, and counts for a lot of industrial applications in my field (chemistry and pharmacy).
Many job applications here are already filled internally or by someone they know when they hit the internet, and are just a fulfillment of the regulations that require job opening be posted before someone is hired. In most applications you don't even get a proper rejection as they can't be bothered sending a reply to all 100 applications, of which the majority will not even be read. Teaching positions are to my knowledge rarely posted and require you to be in touch with the faculty to find out about them.

In short, make sure you know a lot of people and they know you when the time comes. This doesn't make you have to suck up to everyone, just make sure you don't feel embarrassed if you send them an email asking how they are and how the job situation is.
Quote by Neo Evil11

Networking is always important. even if you don't make use of it.

You just gave urself 2 options. pick 1, they both look like good options to me.

I'm dont have a P(retty) h(ardcore) D(umbass) in your field, but in IT, networks are very important.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500