Hey

I know the "ideal" pedal to boost a dirty amp is usually a TS or a TS-type pedal of some sort. I have a Jet City JCA 22 that sometimes needs some boost to tighten up the gain channel. I've been using a MXR GT-OD (TS-based pedal) lately but I just can't stand Tubescreamers. I've had a Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage OD, MXR GT-OD, none of which were good enough for me.

I sold the MXR today and I'm looking for some suggestions for a pedal to boost the JCA's dirty channel. I'm thinking gain at around 2-3 usually, maybe going up to 5 or 6 once in a while. I'm looking for a boost to play modern hard rock and some post-hardcore, think Shinedown, Our Last Night, Sleeping With Sirens - something along those lines.

Any suggestions appreciated!

-J
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jan 15, 2014,
Try a Fulltone OCD. Has a much different, much nastier sound. I kinda like it better on some amps
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Really depends.

You could grab a Boss SD-1 for like $40 and clip out C5, that's probably the easiest mod you can do to an SD and completely changes how the thing sounds. Takes it from average to solid.

You could just go for a strict clean boost, dunno how that would react with the JCA though. BBE's Boosta Grande is great for that, love mine, but I don't think it would do too much tightening. Maybe also look for the Visual Jekyll (not the Jekyll and Hyde, the Jekyll is just the OD half IIRC).

I'll also second the OCD, although really I've never played one I've liked yet. That's odd that you didn't like the GT-OD, that's easily one of my favorite TS clones.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I had the Joyo Ultimate Drive and it was no good for boosting (at least not on Orange Rocker 30 I had at the time) but it's a fantastic overdrive into a mid gain amp tone. I'm talking about boosting alot higher gain sound.

I have a Clark Gainster built by my buddy at Pedal Projects which is my favorite and go-to overdrive. It's a fantastic clean boost but currently I'm using it for a low gain drive where it shines.

I've considered getting a straight up clean boost but i'm not sure how much that'll tighten up the gain for a more modern high gain sound.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by stratman_13
Really depends.

You could grab a Boss SD-1 for like $40 and clip out C5, that's probably the easiest mod you can do to an SD and completely changes how the thing sounds. Takes it from average to solid.

You could just go for a strict clean boost, dunno how that would react with the JCA though. BBE's Boosta Grande is great for that, love mine, but I don't think it would do too much tightening. Maybe also look for the Visual Jekyll (not the Jekyll and Hyde, the Jekyll is just the OD half IIRC).

I'll also second the OCD, although really I've never played one I've liked yet. That's odd that you didn't like the GT-OD, that's easily one of my favorite TS clones.

Well, I didn't hate the GT-OD, it's actually a damn good TS clone, way better than anything I've ever tried. I just generally don't like the mid-hump from TS pedals (though the GT-OD has less than a ts-808 or ts-9) I'm more of a transparent drive guy. I got a damn good price for the MXR that's why I decided to sell it.

Am I making a total mistake here getting rid of the TS?
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
How were you running the settings on the pedal, out of curiosity?
--

--
Did you ever open the GT-OD up and flip the internal switch? It turns the GT-OD into the Zakk Wylde which has less of a mid hump.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stratman_13
How were you running the settings on the pedal, out of curiosity?

Tone just over 12 o clock, vol anywhere from 2 o' clock to max and drive 0 to 9 o clock, usually at 0

Quote by Robbgnarly
Did you ever open the GT-OD up and flip the internal switch? It turns the GT-OD into the Zakk Wylde which has less of a mid hump.

Wellllll no, I actually forgot about that, might give it a shot before I let the pedal go - I can probably still back out of the sale. Is the Zakk Wylde any good for boosting?
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Tone just over 12 o clock, vol anywhere from 2 o' clock to max and drive 0 to 9 o clock, usually at 0

Wellllll no, I actually forgot about that, might give it a shot before I let the pedal go - I can probably still back out of the sale. Is the Zakk Wylde any good for boosting?

Yeah it works pretty decent in a darker kind of way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jonthorsigmunds

Adding a bit of dirt is a good idea.

Run the volume full up, that's where you'll get the bass tightening. I'd run a bit more gain if you really need the extra dirt.

The Wylde OD in my experience is pretty bad. Really dry and no real character.
--

--
Quote by classicrocker01
Try a Fulltone OCD. Has a much different, much nastier sound. I kinda like it better on some amps

Second'd. My OCD is kind of a go-to pedal.
Maybe if you want a clean tightening boost, you could look at a Timmy. Never played one, but sounds like it might be something you'd dig.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Green Rhino. TS clone with more tweaking available, including a curve knob for mid emphasis.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 15, 2014,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ For that price, it's worth a shot. Never played one, but they seem to be well liked.

By the way Cath, super relieved new tubes did the trick on the SL, I was gonna be bugging you for help otherwise
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

It's almost always the tubes, Dylan. That's why I always tell people that they should have spares. I even usually take spares to gigs - and yes, I have had to do tube swaps at a gig. Took me less time than going out to the truck to grab the backup amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd forgotten what tube failure sounded like, I haven't owned a tube amp in a couple years and have only had preamps go out on me. And the EH's in it were pretty new

In the last 5 days I've gone from only a Vypyr to 4 nice tube amps, so I'm a bit overwhelmed anyways
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

This was the plexi, yes? What did you go with?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JJ's. It was what I could get tonight. They're kind of my too-lazy-to-do-research fallback tube. No idea how their EL34s compare to others, but they seem nice and warm to me.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

JJ EL34L is the go over their EL34. Bigger, beefier, stronger, just better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Forgot to type the L, that's actually what I ended up getting. Good fit for the amp
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been looking at the Soul food Cath, seems damn close to a Klon and is dirt cheap. Might pick one up when I go to the US in april. I'll give the MXR another shot tonight with some more volume and a bit of gain, I don't need more dirt though, the JC has TONS of gain on tap, just want a bit tighter sound.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Any more ideas what could be a good replacement for the GT-OD? The EHX Soul Food looks damn nice but I've never tried a Klon (or a Klone), how is it at tightening up high gain?
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Don't know about klons but a good eq and
a clean boost is a good place to start.
From what I have gathered the soul food works well as a clean boost, but does not actually boost the signal all that much nor is it aggressive sounding. It is a light, transparent boost.

You might want to look at the Rawk Works Light Drive or Night Drive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
From what I have gathered the soul food works well as a clean boost, but does not actually boost the signal all that much nor is it aggressive sounding. It is a light, transparent boost.

You might want to look at the Rawk Works Light Drive or Night Drive

Oh god, too many options! GAS, GAS, GAAAAAS!
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Xotic EP booster sound really good on a EVH 5150iii...
The OCD is in fact nasty as a boost. adds a lot of balls and hair, and with the tone knob and HP/LP you have a lot of options. Way more push than a ts9
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
The OCD is in fact nasty as a boost. adds a lot of balls and hair, and with the tone knob and HP/LP you have a lot of options. Way more push than a ts9

I decided to give the OCD (well okay, Joyo Ultimate Drive - the working mans OCD) another try. I ordered one, we'll see how it does when it arrives

thank you for your kind input UG!
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
cant wait to hear how it sounds!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
cant wait to hear how it sounds!

Me neither, I didn't love the OCD through my Orange Rocker 30 - but that might very well be 'cause that amp doesn't take all drive pedals that well. The JC however LOVES drive pedals.

Can't wait to try it out!
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Hang on, you don't have an EQ pedal. Buy an MXR 10 band.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hang on, you don't have an EQ pedal. Buy an MXR 10 band.

I do have an ancient DOD Eq from the 80's. Works just fine
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Oh, ok then. Have you been using it as a boost?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use an Danelectro Fish n chips. Cathbard recommended it so much from thread to thread that I bought it. Couldnt be happier with the cheap boost in the fx loop. I now use a ts9 as my main boost and use my OCD for a mid gain setting, but that is always changed up depending on my mood lol
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, ok then. Have you been using it as a boost?

Not really, I've never gotten the hang of using EQ's as boost. Got any tips for me?
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...