I'm in love with the Ibanez Xiphos, however after doing much research online (can't try one in store) there are a lot of complaints about the edge iii. Is the Edge iii that bad that I should avoid the xiphos? Because spec-wise other than the bridge it's everything I want (other than made in indonesia, but I can overlook that). Curious to hear your opinions.
I wouldn't avoid the guitar because the bridge doesn't get great reviews. I've been told since the mid-80's that Licensed Floyd Rose trems were cheap junk. And yet I've got a '92 Samick with one that's still going strong and doing all the things it should. It is, without a doubt, a cheap version. And yet it abides.
Yeah as long as it's usable and doesn't mess with tuning stability too bad, it's absolutely fine for me. But everything I'm reading is that it's absolutely horribly. hmmm
Yeah, it's a shame that guitar with good specifications like that has shitty bridge. Believe me, it is shitty. But if you block it, it will hold tuning well, so you could consider that.
If you're not going to use the trem, just block it. Or you could look at replacing the edge 3:

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm all for blocking the trem. I'm a very odd and picky person about bridges. I have an OFR on mine, and I blocked it. It doesn't go out of tune. However, if you want to use it, just replace the Edge III with an OFR.
Last edited by Tylander at Jan 17, 2014,
The Edge III is not a bad trem. Folks who are unfamiliar setting up a Floyd Rose get frustrated and blame it on the tremolo unfairly. Pay for a good setup, or better yet, learn how to do a good setup, and it'll serve you well.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I didn't think it was bad as everybody said it was. I'll just replace the block on it and if it ever wears down, replace it with an OFR which is my preferred bridge of choice anyhow. Thanks!
If you block it off, the Edge III can work perfectly fine, but just be wary that it still seems to be made with soft as hell metals. Just a few days ago one of the allen-screw things (the allen key you screw to unlock the string so you can take it out) broke off the bridge and left the rest of the screw lodged in the bridge in my own guitar with an Edge III. I might be an exception rather than the rule, and maybe I did something wrong myself, but I'd still recommend you to be careful around Edge IIIs.
The design of the Edge III is fine. The materials are horrible, though. A super soft alloy and it fails to hold its tuning once the knife-edges are worn out. At that point, you need to block it or replace the entire bridge. A proper setup only helps if the bridge edges aren't thrashed.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JustRooster
The Edge III is not a bad trem. Folks who are unfamiliar setting up a Floyd Rose get frustrated and blame it on the tremolo unfairly. Pay for a good setup, or better yet, learn how to do a good setup, and it'll serve you well.

I disagree.

The Edge III in my RG320 is a piece of crap and I'm very familiar with setting up a floyd rose.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com