So my cousin came to me today and said that
she want to start learn acoustic guitar as a goal for the new year
She came to me because I play electric guitar but I have no idea about acoustics
thats why I want to ask you guys for a few ideas

What are some guitars that you guys would recommend (Either New or Used)
for under $200. That is good for beginner / girl with small hands.

Thanks in advance.
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
How old is she? That will play into what we recommend. Also, keep in mind that in that price range, the quality is not expected to be all that good. Buying a sub-par quality guitar can do more to discourage a new player, rather than encourage them.
Quote by KG6_Steven
How old is she? That will play into what we recommend. Also, keep in mind that in that price range, the quality is not expected to be all that good. Buying a sub-par quality guitar can do more to discourage a new player, rather than encourage them.

she is 26.
I already told her that cheap guitar will sound cheap
as I have personal experience with this when I purchase my electric guitar.
but she still insist to buy to buy a cheap one, because she is afraid that she will give up if its too hard for her.
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
a cheap guitar that doesn't sound cheap... Yamaha's fg700s.
it's $199. new. there isn't a person here that wouldn't say that it's not the perfect starter guitar. solid top, good tone. an all-around decent guitar for the money. nobody's ever going to mistake it for a Taylor or a Martin but it will hold it's own against guitars that cost twice as much and more.
i would recommend spending $50 and getting it prefessionally set up after buying it... as i would with almost any new acoustic guitar buy. as you kkow, when you buy a new electric, it's set up for mass consumption. it'll need to be tailored a bit for easier playing.
the Yammie and some lessons from a good teacher( if not, at least intriduce her to Justinguitar.com on Youtube) and she'll be good to go.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
+1 for the FG700, solid construction, stays in tune, sounds decent. Its hard to find anything in that price range that rivals it.
Quote by ghobby
+1 for the FG700, solid construction, stays in tune, sounds decent. Its hard to find anything in that price range that rivals it.

Yes, you could do a lot worse.
Having a good setup, even on a cheap guitar, can make all the difference. If the FG700 has good construction, then I'd go for it. If she sticks with it, she'll eventually want something better.
Thanks for all the above reply. Seems like the Yamaha FG700 is the way to go.

But just one question.
When you guys say go to the store and have it setup.
Do I just tell her to bring her guitar to GC and ask person
"Can you set up my guitar for me ?" and they will know what to do ?
Ibanez S570B WH
Peavey vypyr 30
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The guitar shops will know what is meant by set up. You can also get it done when you buy the guitar, they might do it for free or at a reduced price.
of the fg700's that i've tried, you could slide at least 2 quarters between the strings and the 12th fret before being setup.that is done on purpose as the manufacturer has no clue what your intent with it is. it's a lot easier to lower it than to raise it of course and they take that into consideration. a good setup will have the action(string height) down to just over the thickness of a quarter at the 12th. it'll also be done without getting any fret buzz on the rest of the neck. that will make playing it much easier as she wont have to push down so far on the strings.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)