I just bought an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV bass. I have done nothing to it, its still in its "factory settings" as it were, I was just curious if tuning the bass down to Drop C would be harmful to it? I've heard some horror stories with bridges and necks being messed up because of detuning.

That being said, when is it not okay to change the tuning of a guitar/bass?
yes you can, but you might want thicker strings and action, neck relief and intonation to make it sound right.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 15, 2014,
Basically you "should" do everything Robbgnarly said, but it will be ok if you don't
Try it and see how it works. If the strings are too floppy you’ll need bigger strings. To do that you’ll probably have to get a guitar tech to file out the nut slots so you can use the bigger strings.
Neck relief is something you should know how to do anyway, especially for a bassist. Even changing brand of strings can throw out the relief on a bass because there is so much force involved.
Every musician should know how to adjust their instrument, it's all part of the craft.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MaxTraction
I just bought an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV bass. I have done nothing to it, its still in its "factory settings" as it were, I was just curious if tuning the bass down to Drop C would be harmful to it? I've heard some horror stories with bridges and necks being messed up because of detuning.

That being said, when is it not okay to change the tuning of a guitar/bass?

You are going to have to go to a pretty heavy string gauge if you want to go all the way down to Drop-C. That is a 34" scale bass, and in Drop-C, a standard .105 "E" string is going to be pretty floppy. Make sure that any heavier gauge strings you choose will fit in the nut slots. Sometimes, you need to open those slots when you go to the heavy gauges on a bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by MaxTraction

Before you do it, drop in on forums like TalkBass. I don't see serious problems with the bridge or neck, but I'd reconsider whether you really want to bother doing that with a four-string.

Probably better to simply pick up a used five string; the low string is already at a B.

Honestly, you're already The Bass. And you don't have to be tuned identically to the guitar players in your group in order to Bring The Blunder. ...er...thunder?
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 16, 2014,
Another consideration is to buy a pedal that does drop tuning... that way you can d regular or standard tuning and step on a switch for something lower without altering your bass.
Thanks for the responses. I'm not a metal player by any means... I find its to be kind of a wash sometimes. I'm filling in for a metal band, so this change would be temporary. I think i'll do whatever I can to stay in E standard.