Title says it all. Tax returns are coming, and I'm debating these two. Clearly I'm looking for a good metal amp, that can do cleans as well. I hear the mesas are hard to dial in a good tone. Or is that just for time freaks? Also, I'm a little worried buying used, because, it's used. Info helps. Thanks.

Edit: More specifically, I was looking at the Peavey 3120.
Last edited by Tylander at Jan 15, 2014,
Which Peavey? Also,

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.

I'd take the Dual Rec out of those two
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Rectifiers take a little time to dial in, I highly recommend downloading a manual if you get one. They explain how the controls work and all that jazz, they're not exactly straight-forward. I'd rather have a Recto than a 3120, personally.

If you're worried about buying used, pick one up through eBay or Guitar Center so you have some buyer protection against a lemon
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Off the bat, for metal I would say the Rectifier, but you need to complete the questionnaire Ippon posted first.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Budget: About $1500

Genre: My inspiration is John Schaffer from Iced Earth. My favorite bands include As I Lay Dying, Scar Symmetry, Children of Bodom, Iced Earth, Killswitch Engage. Bands like that.

New/Used: I guess either is fine. I wouldn't buy used without some sort of return policy on defective equipment.

Home/Gig: This will be for home use. I have a garage I can play in. So, noise isn't a factor.

Closest City: I live in Washington. So, the closest city is Spokane. Either that or Seattle.

Current Gear: I have an LTD V-50, B. C. Rich Deluxe Jr V, A Zoom 2.1 multi effects processor, fed into a Randall RX120RH Half Stack.
Does that budget include the cab?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You need to decide which sound you want to listen to over years of playing this amp. Do you want the cool buzzsaw grind of a Peavey or the warmer and less abrasive grind of a Mesa?
Used is a better investment, you can resell it for the same price you got it for. They're both good amps, I don't think you'd regret getting either of them. Try youtube'ing both amps to see what their general sound is like.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
The Recto would serve you well. Also look at the 5150III, or even a used Splawn
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I like a warm, tight sound. But, I also like saturation to go with it. As for the price altogether, I hadn't planned on buying a new cab. Since I already have one.
^Hot Rods are hella cool amps!

If you're looking for saturation, steer away from the Quick Rod. That's the primary reason why I got rid of mine, although a Splawn Nitro might interest you

EDIT: The Quick Rod does that Marshall 'thang remarkably well and cuts through a band setting like no other, they're a very legitimate amp. However the controls were some of the most ass backwards ones I've ever used, the treble on 0 sounded more open and trebly than any other setting for instance. I wished the clean channel was louder as well, when compared to the OD channel
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 16, 2014,
The Nitro's more of what I had in mind, should've specified.

Also, if you can find one to demo, Kranks are worth a try. They're love/hate, but you might like it. I can get tones similar to what you want outta mine

Of course I have become a bit of a fanboy
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
The Nitro's more of what I had in mind, should've specified.

Also, if you can find one to demo, Kranks are worth a Try. They're love/hate, but you might like it. I can get tones similar to what you want outta mine

Of course I have become a bit of a fanboy

I would love a Krank Revolution. They're hard to find though. I think that's what As I lay dying used on their Shadows of Security albumh. And that tone is amazing.
Krank is still selling off a very limited supply on their site. Cheap too. Snatch a used Krank cab somewhere if you can too, top knotch stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

As a long time Peavey fanboi and a recent Mesa Rectoverb convert I will tell you to get the Mesa for what you play. More saturation with articulation and tightness to spare.

Also, what speakers are in your cabinet? Don't assume that will be a keeper just yet. A kick ass tube amp through a so so speaker cabinet = so so tone.

I think a really need a decent 212 closed back cab should be a priority with your new amp head.

That said, you will need probably at least $300 base budget for that.

Did you see these on your craigslist? Any interest here?

Jan 13 Mesa boogie triple rectifier multi-watt reborn $1350 (Coeur d Alene ) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 4 Mesa Boogie DC-5 $650 (Deer Park) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 4 Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12" 50 watt combo tube amp $1200 (cda) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 3 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL and 1960 Lead cab $1000 (CDA) pic map musical instruments - by owner

Jan 13 Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne 2x12 90w combo amp $1050 (Missoula) pic musical instruments - by owner

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 16, 2014,
    Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
    As a long time Peavey fanboi and a recent Mesa Rectoverb convert I will tell you to get the Mesa for what you play. More saturation with articulation and tightness to spare.

Also, what speakers are in your cabinet? Don't assume that will be a keeper just yet. A kick ass tube amp through a so so speaker cabinet = so so tone.

I think a really decent 212 closed back cab should be a priority with your new amp head.

That said, you will need probably at least $300 base budget for that.

Did you see these on your craigslist? Any interest here?

Jan 13 Mesa boogie triple rectifier multi-watt reborn $1350 (Coeur d Alene ) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 4 Mesa Boogie DC-5 $650 (Deer Park) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 4 Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12" 50 watt combo tube amp $1200 (cda) pic musical instruments - by owner

Jan 3 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL and 1960 Lead cab $1000 (CDA) pic map musical instruments - by owner

Jan 13 Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne 2x12 90w combo amp $1050 (Missoula) pic musical instruments - by owner

Nice list. Pricing, kinda whacked.
      The speakers in my Randall are the stock speakers. I don't know what they are. But, I was deliberating on getting a 212 cab. Since I already have a cab, I didn't give to much thought into buying another. I guess I should take that into price and consideration. No, I didn't see those Craigslist listing.
      http://krankamps.com/parts.html

There's the way to go if you want a Rev

And if you wanted to cheap out, it seems like I remember the cheaper Randall cabs being of decent quality. Throw some better speakers in it and it should be serviceable
      Gibson SG Standard
      Cort Explorer
      Squire Tele
      Krank 1980
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Traynor YCV 50 Blue
      Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Jan 16, 2014,
      Quote by classicrocker01

And if you wanted to cheap out, it seems like I remember the cheaper Randall cabs being of decent quality. Throw some better speakers in it and it should be serviceable

That's amazing. I would be able to buy that tomorrow.
      If you go for that, be sure to get the + series. Much better amps. Be warned though, Kranks are a beast all their own, they have a very distinct sound. I think you'd like it, but try one if you can find one
      Gibson SG Standard
      Cort Explorer
      Squire Tele
      Krank 1980
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Traynor YCV 50 Blue
      Peavey Vypyr 75

I think a more comparable Peavey would be a 6505/6505+/5150. At least with the + model, cleans are decent and can be more than decent with the right tubes and eq'ing. I don't know about the non-+ model.

For high gain, it's tough to beat a 6505/5150. Out of all the times I've played Dual Recs, I've never been able to get quite satisfied with their br00tz tones, compared to a 6505. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and others will probably feel differently. But those two would be a better shootout than the 3120 vs. the Dual Rec.
      Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
      (My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
      Quote by Flux'D
      ^Hot Rods are hella cool amps!

If you're looking for saturation, steer away from the Quick Rod. That's the primary reason why I got rid of mine, although a Splawn Nitro might interest you

EDIT: The Quick Rod does that Marshall 'thang remarkably well and cuts through a band setting like no other, they're a very legitimate amp. However the controls were some of the most ass backwards ones I've ever used, the treble on 0 sounded more open and trebly than any other setting for instance. I wished the clean channel was louder as well, when compared to the OD channel

All true
      Out of those two? I'd definitely go for the Recto... The 3120 is just a XXX with EL-34s in the power section, and I'm not really fond of that amp. If you like the 3120, just buy a used XXX for like $400 on Craigslist

Quote by Flux'D
      Rectifiers take a little time to dial in, I highly recommend downloading a manual if you get one. They explain how the controls work and all that jazz, they're not exactly straight-forward. I'd rather have a Recto than a 3120, personally.

I've always heard this, but never found it to be the case.

The only Mesa amp I've ever owned or played that was difficult to dial in was the Mark IV, that thing's EQ is deceiving. Literally the weirdest EQ settings I've ever used were on that amp... My Rectos, I just EQ like normal and they sound great

Quote by classicrocker01

It's too bad they never had the Rev+ up, to my knowledge. The original Rev1 is okay, but the Rev+ kicked ass IMO. Seriously, the most unique sounding midrange on any amp I've ever owned. Really cool amps.

Still, that's a pretty good price on a new Rev1, but I see Rev+s all the time on CL for less than that. Usually you can find the Rev1 on CL here for ~$400. Krank has never had a particularly great reputation, since they practically screwed themselves at inception. Their amps can be had for dirt cheap on the used market.
      Quote by Dave_Mc
      I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
      Quote by jj1565
      maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
      It says they can convert them to the + model
      Gibson SG Standard
      Cort Explorer
      Squire Tele
      Krank 1980
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Traynor YCV 50 Blue
      Peavey Vypyr 75