Looking for advice on PA vs Acoustic Amp. I have no experience with either system. Nothing to gig with just something I can take out back for a party at home or possible have the ability for someone to sing along (is that even possible with an acoustic amp). I run Taylor guitars. My budget is to stay under $1500. Closest city is Detroit, MI. Thanks in advance guys.
A small mixer and a powered PA bin or two is definitely the best way to go. No question about it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if you want to sing through it too then i'd definitely recommend a PA.

you have plenty of options if you go that route, depending on how loud and how much versatility you prefer. you could go small with a powered monitor or two and possibly a little mixer for input to them.

you could also go with a small PA system. i have a cheap one, a phonic, with 2x10 cabs and a 200 powered mixer head with 6 channel input. you could go bigger if you like.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Could you elaborate any more. What features I should look for or must have? Brands that are good or should be avoided. Any other info that a first time buyer should know. Thanks
Powered bins and a small mixer are a bit easier to move around and set up, although a powered desk is ok too. That's what my PA is, but that's for a full band setup.
You can't go wrong with Yamaha bins if you can afford them. Good working man's gear. Not overpriced but good, honest kit. Same with the mixer, Mackie is very good too.
You need to look for one with some XLR inputs for the mikes.

There's a law in sound reinforcement work called the n+1 rule; n is the number of inputs you have, n+1 is the number that you need. So go for more channels than you think you'll ever need. Trust me, it's a law.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by drizzt26
Could you elaborate any more. What features I should look for or must have? Brands that are good or should be avoided. Any other info that a first time buyer should know. Thanks

depends totally on what you plan on doing. if you only want it to play some acoustic guitar out of then you really don't need much at all. one powered monitor will do ya, since your budget is so high i'd buy something nice like a QSC or Mackie, i'd prefer a 15" speaker version.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c134--Active_Powered_PA_Speakers

you could go two powered monitors, that way you could run them in stereo and play normal music through them (just using one would force you to be mono and that is ok too).

if you want you could also get something like a 8 channel mixer. once again i'd probably go with a mackie.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX8

something like that.

you could get a full on PA, which pretty much implements all the above stuff into one package. yamaha, mackie, QSC all have good stuff. something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-emx512sc--a15-pa-package

of course you could go real niche. i have a channel strip (preamp, EQ compressor) and i run that into a mixer and then it goes out to a power amp (1000 watt crown) and run that out to some speaker cabinets.

really there are tons of options, just depends on what else you want to use it for and how complicated you want it to be.

edit: stuff you need? really just the essentials if it is for acoustic: a guitar, a pickup, and then the PA setup outlined above. anything else is not necessary but who knows, you may want an LR baggs direct box. they sound nice, but aren't necessary.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 16, 2014,
The last rhythm guitarist in my band has that same Yamaha rig which he uses for acoustic solo stuff. We even used it for the band a few times. Normally running my bigger bins with his head but in a small pub we used just that setup entirely, bins and all, and it did the job fine. It's a good little rig.

Edit: Actually no. That has 15" bins, his has the 12" ones. That's a better system again.
TS, buy that one. Really, just buy it. It even comes with a couple of mikes. Just buy it and don't look back.
To be clear, this one:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
The last rhythm guitarist in my band has that same Yamaha rig which he uses for acoustic solo stuff. We even used it for the band a few times. Normally running my bigger bins with his head but in a small pub we used just that setup entirely, bins and all, and it did the job fine. It's a good little rig.

Edit: Actually no. That has 15" bins, his has the 12" ones. That's a better system again.
TS, buy that one. Really, just buy it. It even comes with a couple of mikes. Just buy it and don't look back.
To be clear, this one:

i did a link to that exact same package.

yamaha is solid stuff.

-ae
In my first band we had a Yamaha powered desk. It fell out of the back of the trailer at 60 mph and cartwheeled down the road, the roadcase exploding and scattering all over the shop, We used it the next week, one pot was dodgey on one channel, that's it. As I said, it's working man's gear.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by drizzt26
Looking for advice on PA vs Acoustic Amp. I have no experience with either system. Nothing to gig with just something I can take out back for a party at home or possible have the ability for someone to sing along (is that even possible with an acoustic amp). I run Taylor guitars. My budget is to stay under $1500. Closest city is Detroit, MI. Thanks in advance guys.

Unless your home includes a large hall & your garden is the size of a field, an acoustic guitar should be enough on it's own without any extra amplification.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Unless your home includes a large hall & your garden is the size of a field, an acoustic guitar should be enough on it's own without any extra amplification.
Your parties must be awfully civilised.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm a very civilised chap

Maybe the large hall & field size garden is a slight exaggeration, but an acoustic guitar on it's own is more than enough to cover most things you'll ever want to do at home. He's only looking for the ability to play so someone can sing along, more often than not that is just going to be purely acoustic.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Its several factors, between my wife's large family, the pool in the background, and kids running in the backyard screaming….an acoustic guitar can get drowned out by the noise. This is really true if I try something finger style. Yes, my wife loves to sing. Win. Win
Last edited by drizzt26 at Jan 16, 2014,
I love my yamaha stagepas. they have 300, 400 and up.

i got mine on a deal maybe 3 years ago.
use it to play with friends, or practice at home, it's compact, but can handle a few people.

if you're not going to spend a grand on the bigger yamaha, then consider a stagepas.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 16, 2014,
Quote by drizzt26

Another tack, since others are moving you toward PA speakers, etc., and that's all good.

Acoustic guitars usually need amps that feature lower lows and higher highs than most electric guitar amps. In order to power those lower lows, you'll usually find they have a bit more power than you'd expect (a good thing) and they're usually not tube amps (power distortion, sag, etc., not required with an acoustic.

One of the very best acoustic amps around is the Carvin AG100D. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG100D

While there IS an adapter built in that allows you to put this up on a speaker stand like a PA, and there IS an available extension speaker with the same specs as the amp, it works very well as an amp for around the house as well. 12" speaker in a ported enclosure plus a tweeter, so it's got a 20-2KHz range. The three channels are actually designed to handle guitar, bass, and voice mike. Built in FX, an output for quiet headphone playing or for feeding to a mixer in a larger system. And so on.

A friend of mine uses one of these with a TC Helicon Voicelive (harmonies) and a Taylor for solo stuff. He's actually taken it out to one of those outdoor walking malls and used it with a keyboard player and a drum machine and run some electricity from one of the stores and the extension speaker and the two of them sound pretty amazing.

Edit: Prices: The AG100D is $429, and you can get it covered with other colors of tolex than green <G>. The extension speaker http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/acousticseries.php is $249. Both will go up on speaker stands.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 16, 2014,