My wife is traveling to Japan (Tokyo in specific) for the next month and a half. I am hoping she might be able to find me a special guitar while she is there.

Are there special edition ESP or Ibanez guitars (or any other brand for that matter) that I should have her on the look out for?

I am specifically looking for guitars (or guitars with specific finishes) that can only be found in Japan or in a guitar shop in Japan.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
My wife is traveling to Japan (Tokyo in specific) for the next month and a half. I am hoping she might be able to find me a special guitar while she is there.

Are there special edition ESP or Ibanez guitars (or any other brand for that matter) that I should have her on the look out for?

I am specifically looking for guitars (or guitars with specific finishes) that can only be found in Japan or in a guitar shop in Japan.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

there are ESP's over there that aren't readily available in the states. edwards is one of their brands and is considered a slightly lower version than the standard ESP's but i think they are only available in japan. they also have a custom shop over there that does some crazy work.

i am not sure about ibanez.

i own a Bacchus guitar (les paul copy), they are pretty rare outside of japan and i think the quality of it is phenomenal.

.... where is greg at?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
ibanez used to do the j custom exclusively for japan (hence the name) but then started exporting them in really limited quantities. i'm sure there are some really nice j customs she'd be able to find though.
Are there specific serial numbers or markings that can denote a J-Custom?

Any idea what I should expect to pay in either US dollars or Yen?
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Also how do J-customs compare to LACS stuff?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Are there specific serial numbers or markings that can denote a J-Custom?

couple of grand.

Also how do J-customs compare to LACS stuff?

dunno, haven't compared. j-customs are pretty tits though.
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST

From a low ¥16200 to ¥378000 plus 5% national consumption tax.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
judging by the brands you named, you probably wont be into this, but Fender Japan has some different guitars and finishes.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/srDispCategoryTreeLink/doSearchCategory/11010000000/04-05/2/1

Ikebe-gakki website. Just be sure to have a bowl under your chin to catch the drool .
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Before you sink a pile of cash into a high-end Japan only guitar you should just see what you can buy in the USA for the same price.
Quote by jpnyc
Before you sink a pile of cash into a high-end Japan only guitar you should just see what you can buy in the USA for the same price.

I totally understand this thought. I am just curious about what might be there that I would never be able to find here.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by jpnyc

The OP is looking for something you CAN'T find here everyday though. You can find a nice PRS over here any day of the week, but the Japan market stuff is much harder to come by and there-fore much more interesting I feel. If I had both the cash and the opportunity to get something like that, you can bet your booty I would .
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

Quote by maXterbat0r
I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but Ibanez has the Genesis collection that's Japan-only.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/gc/

oh man that's awesome. original edge? i've been saying for ages they should just go back to the edge (or at least have some models with it). the fact they did it with the sigs suggests they know what a lot of people want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are plenty of Japanese-only ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter (such as the BH-I 24 for example) guitars. Then of course, you have the Japan-only lower models for ESP (such as Grassroots and Edwards). I'm sure you could also look into Fernandes, which I think has several models made exclusively in Japan. Tokai.... Custom guitars like Combat Guitars, FujiGen (brand)...

The list goes on. lol
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST

Thoughts? Suggestions?

my first purchase would be a History GH-T2 from the late 90s early 00s. the maple necks, are reclaimed maple from the great lakes (US) region. see them used for around $800 in shops and they are completely their own thing. fuji-gen made with cfs (circle fretting system) and special pick ups, i forget the brand but trust me you've never heard of them.

there's one on rinkya (yahoo japan auctions) for around $1000, but i doubt it sells for that.

some other suggestions would be a used Navigator LP, Ornetts LP, any old Tokai LS80-150 used from 1978-1985, Diviser/Baccus/Seventy-Seven guitars.

a Seventy Seven Albatross would be cool as hell.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by mogar
The OP is looking for something you CAN'T find here everyday though. You can find a nice PRS over here any day of the week, but the Japan market stuff is much harder to come by and there-fore much more interesting I feel. If I had both the cash and the opportunity to get something like that, you can bet your booty I would .

Do you have any recommendations? This is exactly what i am thinking!!!!
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Orville by Gibson, Navigator, Bachus, Burny, Epiphone (MIJ)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Do you have any recommendations? This is exactly what i am thinking!!!!

Do you happen to have a price range in mind? Would like to know before i start throwing things out there.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

Quote by mogar
Do you happen to have a price range in mind? Would like to know before i start throwing things out there.

My thought / hope was to keep it under $2k US.

Another forum sent me a picture of a 7 string Edward pink flying V which was awesome.

- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Last edited by ANTHONYLBEST at Jan 17, 2014,
Is this a local shop or online ordering. Forgive me for not understanding digimart.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R