Hello everyone, I recently had the feeling that my distortions aren't quite cut for the job and I was recommended getting a fuzz. I really like the QotSA tone, along with other stoner rock bands. I currently have an Epi LP Custom plugged into a Boss DS-2 and a USA made DOD Death Metal along with Small Clone chorus and a Joyo Digital Delay. Bottom line, it would be nice if the pedal was affordable, had a fat thick tone and preferably no octave ones.

Thank you
Can't go wrong with an electro-harmonix big muff pi or a proco rat.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

for hard stuff?

my go to suggestion is a blakemore effects dues ex machina. one beast of a fuzz with a lot of flexibility and good tone.

http://blakemoreeffects.com/?page_id=30
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Black arts toneworks pharaoh will help you get that stoner sound IMO.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I had the same problem when I used to have BOSS DS-2. So i went to a guitar store and looked for everything that fits. I Finally chose Electro Harmonix Graphic Fuzz!

with EHX Graphic Fuzz u can adjust EQ setting and got different kind of distortion u like. I have been satisfied with its sound, especially using fender stratocaster or telecaster JA90. =) maybe you should try one.
There is quite a difference between fuzz, distorion and overdrive. These terms are often mixed up. I suggest going to a store like Guitar Center or somewhere that has a nice selection of pedals that you can try. You may find that "fuzz" is not what you are really looking for. I have a big selection of overdrive pedals for overdrive and distotion but my only real "fuzz" is an old Maestro pedal from the 60's and I hate that old sound. I like early 80's Ibanez pedals like TS-9 or TS-10 but they can be pricey these days and these are really overdrive pedals. While these are great pedals Ibanez also made a few in the 90's that you can pick up fairly cheap on Ebay like the Ibanez TS-7. It sounds very good and can be had for about $30.00 on a good day. It's one of those pedals I think will be coming up in collectability very soon. Fuzz is a very different animal. As for price you may want to try the Behringer "Super Fuzz" or "Ultra Fuzz". These sell for about $25.00 each. Personally I generally like Behringer products and even though the cases on these pedals are plastic they are very thick and durable if put on a pedal board or treated with a small amount of care. Behringer simply clones other manufacturers pedals so if you want a Boss, Ibanez, DOD or other pedal and want to pay a third of the originals value you can generally find an equivolent Behringer clone that sounds just as good for less than $30.00 new. Go to YouTube and check out people doing reviews of any pedals you are considering. Most likely someone has done one and you can hear what it sounds like.
What era qotsa? A lot of their stuff sounds like a fuzz face or superfuzz variant. What wattage tube amp do you have? In my experience you have to have quite a bit of headroom to really make big muff type pedals really shine, but fuzz faces love being pushed into low wattage overdriven amps. So that's what I recommend. Particularly the new mini fuzz faces, I got a germanium one and it's kick ass.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
If you got the money, musket like 667 suggested. If you need something cheaper, muff w/ tone wicker or Big muff pi.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Trex tonebug fuzz, I have tried many fuzz pedals and I feel in love with this one straight away
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by adambauman31
seymour duncan tweak fuzz is a good lower priced option.

No. If you really want a fuzz on the cheap go with the bi-yang muff clone. But if your strapped for cash Big muffs go for like 50 bucks used.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jan 16, 2014,
Thanks for all the replies, btw, I like old the QotSA era (from QotSA to Lullabies) and my amp is a 100W Fender Frontman 212R, not the ideal thing for distortion, but oh well..
Quote by adambauman31
I picked up a Tweak Fuzz on sale and could never warm up to the sound. It sounds thin to my ears.
Mojo Hand FX Colossus Fuzz, one beast of a fuzz that can do it all. Does heavy distortion to creamy fuzz to ground-shaking-window-rattling-madness
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jan 17, 2014,
That Mojo Hand FX Colossus really sounds great but it's too rich for my blood, besides, in my country it ain't easy to get such particular brands..
Quote by adambauman31

That’s just a Fuzz Face clone with a voicing switch. Terrible for metal.

OP, just get a Big Muff. If you want the bassy tone of the boutique pedals just get the Bass Muff, it’s a Sovtek Muff variant and so are the bassy boutique fuzzes. Right now you can probably score a used Big Muff Pi cheap because people are replacing them with the new nano version.