hey guys, possibly quite a silleh question, but can someone give me some advice in regards to lowering the action on my les paul? would it be better to take it to a shop or would I be wasting my money?
A professional set up never hurts.

You'd save some money doing it yourself, and i'm sure there are tutorials on youtube about it, but if you're absolutely uncomfortable with doing it yourself or have never done it before, taking it to a shop would probably be the best option, especially if it's a guitar you really care about.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by DankyKay
hey guys, possibly quite a silleh question, but can someone give me some advice in regards to lowering the action on my les paul? would it be better to take it to a shop or would I be wasting my money?

there are two screws on the bridge for lowering the strings.

look at the first page of the setup guide,
green link in my sig.

you can ask questions in there if you'd like,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I did it on my strat a little bit, but for another guitar I had it setup by a tech and I was very happy with the results. For an electric it's not very hard but you probably should check your neck first and go from there. if your neck is not setup very well to begin with you''ll probably be wasting your time.
Quote by DankyKay

You could certainly take it to a shop but it's very easy to do yourself, especially on a LP.

Normally when doing a set up you would firstly check that the nut slots are cut correctly and secondly check that the neck relief is correct. Unless something very unusual has happened to the guitar in the past it's often reasonable to assume that these two things are OK.

If so, all you then have to do is adjust the two bridge screws to get the desired action. Retune the guitar each time you have adjusted the screws and play it for awhile to ensure you have no fret buzz etc - continue adjusting as necessary until it's how you want it. You will probably want the bass strings to be slightly higher above the fretboard than the trebles.