I realize this isn't exactly a new amp day thread. But I thought I'd share the renovations I recently did to my trusty amp....

What could it be?...

Ready for business...

And the whole rig....

Totally happy with my end result! My grandfather is actually a master cabinet maker and built the box for it (wood is fir). I put some oak tabs inside for attaching the front and back panels. Just before drilling holes for the name plate panel, I decided to instead use industrial velcro -- now I can easily remove it to get to the preamp tubes from the front! (V4 was a real pain to get to before, as it was situated directly behind the reverb tank). I wanted to go for a "barnwood" look and it ended up just as I had envisioned. I used Rustoleum "weathered gray" for the stain, then two coats of polyurethane. It looks way better in person.

I'll try to post some clips later of how it sounds through my 412 cab vs. the original 112 cab. This was not a very difficult project and very worthwhile. The best part is that my 112 "cab" is still intact so I can more easily transport it on lengthy trips away from home and still enjoy my amp without packing the 412 cab. Enjoy!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jan 16, 2014,
Woah, pretty ****in' nice indeed.

But it needs more leds
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
pop some rubber feet on the head shell, for stability.

looks great!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Agreed on the feet!

Pretty cool idea on the front panel... Honestly, I'm surprised amp companies don't do that, that's actually a great idea!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Probably because velcro has a limited life, though they seem happy to use it on their amp covers that generally will see a lot more use.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Killer.

So, when needed, you intend to pull the chassis out of the headbox and put it into the combo, reattach speaker and hit the road?

Nice!

Nah, I'll just grab the head and 112 cabinet and use them like a mini-stack. I've got a bunch of extra Celestion speakers, so I just left one in the combo shell. Next project will probably be to remove the headbox from my combo so it's just a smaller 112 cab. I'll need to re-do the wire from that so it ends in a 1/4" jack or just put a jack plate on its back. However, the 412 configuration sounds so much better I'm not in a big hurry to do that project.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by GABarrie
Probably because velcro has a limited life, though they seem happy to use it on their amp covers that generally will see a lot more use.

I doubt that's the reason, honestly. Velcro can last a very long time and it's easily replaced, if it does wear out. I wouldn't expect people to be taking the grille on and off every time they plugged their guitar in

I mean... Soldano and other companies like Lopoline have been using velcro to attach the front grilles on their cabs for years and I find that to be a GODSEND for recording, as it's insanely easy to match up a mic to the speaker. It's probably more likely that a simple screw costs less than velcro, so they can increase their margins more, plus not many people would utilize the feature as much as they would on a cab, but still... surprising to see no one's thought of it.

t'd be especially helpful on amps that have knobs in the back... Instead of doing that, they could relocate them to the top of the chassis and you could just pull off the front grille to easily access them - they also would have less risk of being moved during transportation/damaged during shipping there, too This would even be a good idea if they only did on the back of an amp... No more having to unscrew crap every time you want to get in there, just pull off the grille and go.

Interesting idea, nonetheless!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet! It's always fun to see this type of project posted. I made a case for one of my bass amps that I removed from a combo and it was a slow, but fun project. I stained the wood a dark ebony color and put a few coats of poly on it. Came out great! Anytime anyone would see the amp, even a corner of it, they'd be asking about it. That's how sharp this thing looked.

Rubber feet, metal corners, maybe a handle or few (I love the way they did it on the Thermion- http://weimprovise.net/news_imgs_v2/ibanez/x_thermion.jpg).

LOL- I've actually wanted to get a 6505+ because they are so cheap and so excellent for metal... also partially so I could make an awesome case for it.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Jan 16, 2014,
Nice one, funnily enough, i'm doing something very similar soon, recently spent about £50 or so on tolex and other materials (why is tolex so expensive compared to the US? )
Closely based on what this person has done:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530322&highlight=6505+ivory

Have to say, not such a fan of the finish, but maybe it looks better irl.

Also, other than what people mentioned about the feet, to me you're missing a fundamental, a handle

Reckon i'll try to screw the front grill on with screws facing the front, myself, as it is with the back of the amp.

HNAHD!
Quote by ambler3

Holy Mother of God that is insanely beautiful.

I am so tempted to bump that thread with a congrats but I Report people all of the time for necrobumping and I don't want to be called a hypocrite
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Holy Mother of God that is insanely beautiful.

I am so tempted to bump that thread with a congrats but I Report people all of the time for necrobumping and I don't want to be called a hypocrite

I know, there is just something that is so hard to beat about white amps, especially when there are dark/black components dotted all over it.
The led faceplate reminded me of this

Love LED faceplates.

Awesome job man, it looks great.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 16, 2014,
Looks great man, very nice job

I've gotta ask though, did you install a handle of some sort?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I prefer tolex but it looks nice man get some feet and corners on there!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Flux'D
Looks great man, very nice job

I've gotta ask though, did you install a handle of some sort?

Nope. I might install one in the future, but I don't absolutely have to have one. It's not like I can carry my 412 cab AND this at the same time anyway. I'm hoping to find a very nice looking cabinet handle that is also sturdy enough to trust.

I will install some rubber feet as soon as I find some that look good.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Ippon
Badass work by grampa!

Haha! If he only knew the mayhem he had a hand in creating....
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Ippon
Grandparents live for that shit. It's also a way to troll their kids, payback, etc.

For sure. He is over 80 years old and has been retired for 20+ years. All he does now is make furniture/cabinets and give them away. He refuses to take payment for anything he does. He made a solid oak TV/entertainment cabinet for my wife and I that is just amazing. To buy something like it we'd have had to shell out $2000+. He has done similar projects for everyone in his extended family. Always remember to appreciate your grandparents/parents/etc. folks!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood