Hey guys i have been trying to get some nice 80s metal distortion and have a few questions. Do guys who use pretty heavy distortion use low to mid amp distortion and then boost that to a heavier level with a pedal? If so what would be a nice distortion pedal to get a more 80s metal tone as my peavey ultra 112 isnt really getting it.
yeah i'd set up my amp for distortion and then boost it. boss sd1 is a good option, sounds pretty 80s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^This.

Other pedals you could look at would be a Tubescreamer type pedal (a Digitech Bad Monkey is a solid choice) or I've liked the Proco Rats I've used
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Use your crunch channel on the ultra then try a clean boost
like tc spark, bbe boosta grande etc. I got good results that
way.
Ok but will that overdrive type pedal boost my amp to get that heavy metal sound like say metallica?
You should have no problems getting Metallica levels of gain with just your amp. The Ultra is a pretty high gain amp on its own
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hm weird doesnt seam like i can get the amount of gain or type of gain with just the amp alone
Are you using the Ultra channel or the crunch channel?

The crunch channel has plenty of gain to do 80's metal/hair metal and the Ultra channel should be able to pull off 90's hi-gain to modern no problems. It is not a Nu Metal amp, but it gets pretty heavy on its own.

Now a TS or other type boost can help shape your tone and give you a tad more gain/compression but you should be able to get near those tones with the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm alright so i guess ill put a the boost a little bit lower on my list then.
I agree with rob; the only reason you'd need the boost with a Peavey Ultra is if you like the flavor it adds to the tone as opposed to the gain it adds.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I say a tubescreamer-type pedal like Bad Monkey, SD-1 or Maxon OD should be in every tube amp owners pedal board not necessarily because of the extra gain but because of its sound tightening properties. Its just such a nice effect. Peavey Ultra should have plenty of gain on its own so you should not absolutely need it but the tightness and midrange growl tubescreamer provides is IMHO excellent for Thrash.

Bad Monkey or Joyo/Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive are so cheap anyway that you dont lose that much if you want to experiment with one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 16, 2014,
hmm..... I use an Ultra and can't say I've had any problems getting the early Metallica sound out of it even without an overdrive. a tubescreamer style overdrive will help tighten it up some though as mentioned. also what EQ settings are you using as that tends to be an issue with Ultra users not used to the active eq.
TS, are you not getting high gain out of your amp at all? You could have a dying preamp tube(s) somewhere.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well i have been messing with the eq a lot and i will say i have improved my tone a good amount and i am just about to order a WGS vet 30 and a tung sol 12ax7 so ill see where that brings me.
Well now that i know for sure that the ultra has the gain i need i guess i need to ask what kind of delay should i get. i know it is pretty important and adds a good thickness to the sound but all the delay pedals are so expensive. what do you guys think?
Quote by katalyzt13
The Boss SD-1 is like THE distortion pedal of the 80's....

I was there. The only two overdrives anybody had in the 80's was the OD-1/SD-1 and the TS-808/TS9 and there were as many of one as the other. Most had both.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I was there. The only two overdrives anybody had in the 80's was the OD-1/SD-1 and the TS-808/TS9 and there were as many of one as the other. Most had both.

I had all 3 LOL

OP make a new thread for the delay. I use one for leads but it's not essential to play Metallica. if you want kirk then a wah is