Page 1 of 2
Been having a look on the net for Australia, and good thing the Pit is filled with Australians and New Sheepshaggers.

It would take forever to fly over to Oz so I'd like to stay there a bit longer. Maybe 3 weeks or so. A friend of mine went to Sydney and posted pics on Facebook and it looked gorgeous. But what about Melbourne? Brisbane? I don't know if 3 weeks in Sydney would be too "boring" or expensive. Is Sydney awesome? Are other cities better?

Is food expensive? Is transport difficult? Would it be worth checking other cities out or is Australia too big for that? Can I touch a kangaroo?

If anyone's been to Australia as a tourist, what was it like?
I'm an Ozzy living in New sheepShagville and I have to say that NZ is far superior as far as geographic beauty and distance between sights. Oz cities are better, Sydney has the Darling harbour which has a slick and polished aesthetic and nice spots around but other than that meh and the beaches are overcrowded etc, same with Melb although seems a little more culturally rich, nice little spots down alleys et. Bris is a neat clean city but it's hot and no where to swim, also it's a little plastic. Byron bay is nice but. I don't know it is a beautiful place but you could say that about any country..and it's women
Quote by mattjamesrenn
I'm an Ozzy living in New sheepShagville and I have to say that NZ is far superior as far as geographic beauty and distance between sights. Oz cities are better, Sydney has the Darling harbour which has a slick and polished aesthetic and nice spots around but other than that meh and the beaches are overcrowded etc, same with Melb although seems a little more culturally rich, nice little spots down alleys et. Bris is a neat clean city but it's hot and no where to swim, also it's a little plastic. Byron bay is nice but. I don't know it is a beautiful place but you could say that about any country..and it's women

I don't think you could say that about Glasgow though.
Just go. It would be just as much of a vacation for The Pit as it would be for you.

Three weeks? Yeah go for it!
Why not? If nothing else, you'll be able to say that you've been to Australia.
Sydney is shite, Melbourne is the best city. Everything everywhere is expensive, but the exchange rate to the pound is good for you atm so it might not be that expensive, but it'll still be expensive. Public transport is shit everywhere but Melbourne but even that that sucks most of the time.

3 weeks in Sydney is too long, you'd need to travel somewhere. Go to New Zealand.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
yeah personally i agree Sydney is shyte. Have been to Scotland and I thought it was beautiful. Is no NZ though.
Also Ozzies are as arrogent as US Americans.
Go, and good luck man. I just hope you don't get eaten by a giant poisonous wallaby with flesh eating bacteria in its teeth. And fleas. And the fleas are also poisonous.

Have fun.
Well apparently you shouldn't expect to go see a good rock band when you're there.
Quote by mattjamesrenn
yeah personally i agree Sydney is shyte. Have been to Scotland and I thought it was beautiful. Is no NZ though.

Ah, man. Now I'm torn.
While this thread is here, can anyone say if Perth is worth visiting or not? It always looked like an amazing city
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I've been to Australia for four months and i would suggest traveling around instead of staying in one place. You're not going to Australia often so it would be a waste to just see Sydney or Melbourne.

I really liked the northern part of the east coast with The Great Barrier Riff, Frasier Island(!!!) and the rain forrest
Hard to recommend Australia as a tourist destination, there's plenty of stuff to see, but culturally I think we'd be pretty uninteresting unfortunately. Same reason why I wouldn't go to the UK or US.

South East Asia and Europe are the popular places for Aussies to go, I'd definitely recommend places like Hong Kong and Vietnam, they're a lot of fun and waaaay cheaper.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Sydney is shite, Melbourne is the best city. Everything everywhere is expensive, but the exchange rate to the pound is good for you atm so it might not be that expensive, but it'll still be expensive. Public transport is shit everywhere but Melbourne but even that that sucks most of the time.

3 weeks in Sydney is too long, you'd need to travel somewhere.

+1

Down in Victoria, it's been above 40 degrees every day since monday. If you are coming to Australia in Summer, stay along the coast.
RIP Gooze

cats
Sydney sucks but i guess tourists love it for the Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc. it's worth stopping there for a few days. Melbourne is definitely much better and the best city in Australia. Check out the Great Barrier Reef and some other cities too.
I wouldn't recommend the cities, after all they are just cities same as anywhere else.
Places like Shark Bay, Cape York, Esperance or the Whitsundays are where it's at. Quiet, gorgeous and great fishing at all but Whitsundays.
They're also all touristy places with all the tours and that shit, if you get into that.
Last edited by mybanez at Jan 16, 2014,
I'm going down there in a few weeks (Feb 22) to watch the Rugby. Flight there, watch the match, flight back. Must be mad
Australia's expensive. Go to an Asian country, you'll get alot more out of it for way less. If you're adamant on coming to Aus, I'd recommend the Gold Coast (For the theme parks and beaches), Melbourne (For the food and music) and Sydney (For the Opera house and harbour bridge etc). Bring plenty of moolah though.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
you should ditch your wife and kids and go to mars
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
you should ditch your wife and kids and go to mars

I would, if I had a wife and kids.
If you want to fly over that way for 3 weeks, take a trip through south east asia. Indonesia, Malaysia/Borneo, Philippnes and across to Vietnam, Laos, Thailand if you have time, east through China and fly back from Hong Kong

Suuuuch a better trip than just to Aus. You'll meet more interesting people, see more interesting things and it'll have a way bigger impact on your life than seeing the same things you can see at home (big cities etc)
Aus looks fucking shite. If you're heading over that way you may as well go to NZ instead
Quote by raoooos
Aus looks fucking shite. If you're heading over that way you may as well go to NZ instead

New Zealand looks like Scotland without the shite towns.
BREAKING NEWS

Philip_pepper coming to NZ
Spaztikko going on holiday at coincidentally the same time!!!
If you're going to Australia, you're going to need a fair bit of cash to make it worth your while. Melbourne's a great city to go to as a tourist, and there's plenty to see in Sydney. If you're planning on going a little later in the year (around May - July) go to the Northern Territory (it's way too hot and rainy to visit there this time of year). There's not a great deal to do in Darwin, but Kakadu National Park is great, and Katherine Gorge is absolutely stunning.

But it is a ridiculously expensive country. If you want budget in this area of the world, go to South-East Asia. Awesome and cheap.
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Quote by raoooos

Location Scotland

If you head to the Gold Coast, don't stay in the shitty tourist area of Surfers Paradise because it is a hellhole and there are many far better beaches on the Gold Coast. Check out some other places there, nice beaches in the Coolangatta/Burleigh Heads area and maybe hire a car and drive down to the NSW North Coast too. Public transport is terrible here.
Quote by Philip_pepper
You guys are talking about things being "expensive". How expensive we talking about?

$4.50 for a loaf of bread. ~$10 a pint. Standard meal and beer will cost you near enough $25
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Come to NZ and drink with out 8 year olds.

Also everything here is way cheaper because our dollar sucks.
Hey mate. I live in Melbourne. I can't say I'd recommend coming to Australia. Not cause it's bad or anything, but you can get a good dose of more culture for less cash in a handful of different places. New Zealand is almost as expensive too, a little cheaper.
If you really want to come then I recommend the North-East state of Queensland. It's warm all year-round, there is the great barrier reef (which HAS to be seen) and lovely towns up the coast such as Port Douglas, Noosa, Cairns. If there is also the Whitsundays which are gorgeous islands with plenty of cheap accommodation choices. There's also a tacky Miami-esque burb known as the Gold Coast, which some people like. You MUST take a road trip to Byron Bay in NSW. One of the best towns in OZ and really decent people. Good cultural focal point.
Sydney is alright, but outside of saying you've been there, not all too flash. Kinda pretentious too.
Melbourne I love. The best food, music, festivals, sports events (nothing says OZ like an AFL game) and it's not too far from Great Ocean Road which is something to behold. Alas, this all costs money.
Anyway, some stuff to think about.

EDIT: You can see kangaroos in the wild everywhere and you can wallaby's in sanctuary's. Trust me dude, you don't wanna touch a 6 foot red kangaroo.
Last edited by chiliwillifreak at Jan 17, 2014,
Quote by jambi_mantra
$4.50 for a loaf of bread. ~$10 a pint. Standard meal and beer will cost you near enough $25

**** yeah

Quote by mattjamesrenn

I can confidently say that we are worse.
Page 1 of 2