I am starting to play my guitar and I was wondering what would be a good song to start off with and this is my first time playing also.
Anything that fits into the "CAGED" chord system. I would start by learning chords and being semi-fluent first. Understand what you are playing (learn a little theory). I have found that people who get focused on learning songs from the beginning either get distracted/frustrated and quit, or they can become great players but know absolutely jack about their instrument and music theory. A lot people will disagree and say "screw theory" blah blah blah... But it can really hinder your capabilities as a musician down the road if you choose not to learn it
Last edited by jcthomp2009 at Jan 16, 2014,
Something you will enjoy playing and will keep you motivated. Don't get too overwhelmed with learning theory. Keep it simple and fun so you don't get too bogged down and have brain melt down.
Quote by hellybelly
Something you will enjoy playing and will keep you motivated. Don't get too overwhelmed with learning theory. Keep it simple and fun so you don't get too bogged down and have brain melt down.

Definitely correct in finding something you like/enjoy to play. And semi correct with the theory. I wouldn't ask a beginner to study modes and all.. I'm simply saying that a beginner should have a general understanding of the musical alphabet, sharps and flats, major and minor chords (possibly 7ths) (and what differentiates them) basic interval knowledge, and at the bare minimum a well rounded knowledge of time signatures/note length values.
what kind of music do you listen to?
do you have a teacher or are you winging it on the internet with Justinguitar.com or something similar?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I like to listen to country mainly and thats is what i will mostly play and i do not have a teacher and just using this sit.
if you like country, 'yer gons need a capo. try something simple like "wagon wheel"
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)