Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new delay pedal, seeing as my old one barely works anymore. I just don't really know where to even start looking seeing as there are so many different ones out there.

For instance, here are some songs/bands I'm really into that use delay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyATIjZ-oyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-SAdTo8T0 (The bit at about 0:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSChCEb4iZs

I'm at the point where I'm taking songwriting more seriously and I'd really like to put some delay in my songs.

Oh, and I'd probably be able to spend about $250 at the most
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Never go wrong with an aqua puss
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
If you've got $250 to spend, why not get a tc flashback x4? Its got a lot of different delays.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You want a delay with tap tempo and dotted 8th capabilities. There are a lot, depending on your budget

So what's the budget?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Depends on your budget really. If you have $250 or so there's nothing wrong with a TC Flashback or a line 6 DL4. I've used a DL4 for a while now and I can't imagine not having it.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
I love my Flashback and dream of a Flashback X4. The Flashback is just sooo good!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
consider the tC regular flashback. its pretty awesome.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ibanezguitars44
You want a delay with tap tempo and dotted 8th capabilities. There are a lot, depending on your budget

So what's the budget?

About $250.

And thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll start looking into some. Appreciate it!
Guitars:

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black

Tc electronics nova delay, flashback x4

Line 6 echo park

Boss dd7 or dd5

Those are all good options.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
At that budget you really just have to listen to stuff and find your preference. You can get a good handful of great pedals.

The Flashback X4 or the Nova Delay are great pedals.

I personally think Line 6s delays sound the best, I use an M9 (instead of the DL4).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't have a delay at the moment, but if I were to buy one I'd get the Line 6 DL4
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went with the Flashback x4, should be here today. Pretty excited!
Guitars:

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black

nice. thats one heck of a pedal. jeez.

are you using the stock adapter? make sure you have pedal power if not. i dont think a 1 spot daisy will cut it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Well with way too many delay pedals, The TC Flashback spoken of here is the heater!. ...very small footprint, looper & 10 delays from tape delay emulation, to TC's studio monster the 2290~! The X4 was just too big for my needs, but the FBack is probably the best new one for $. Second is EH Deluxe Memory Boy IMUO~! good luck~!
I'd go with either a TC Electronic Nova Delay or Line 6 DL4. I had the Nova Delay and it was great, I switched over to the DL4 cause I wanted to access the banked delays without having to scroll.
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Tc electronics nova delay, flashback x4

Line 6 echo park

Boss dd7 or dd5

Those are all good options.

I've got both of these and they both do a pretty damn good job for me.
Although I use the Nova Delay more often than I do the DD-7.
I'm actually thinking about selling the DD-7 and getting something else (Not delay related)
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 23, 2014,
I can definitely join the Flashback recommendations, this thing is not a pedal, it's a (virtually indestructible) portable portal to outer space.