I was wondering if anybody ever removed the pick guard off of their Les Paul and left it off? I'm not too big a fan of the pick guard on them. I know that leaves a couple screw heads showing.
Just curious.
Why would it leave screw heads showing? You take the screws out too, one hole is on the bottom of the guitar and nobody sees it, and the other one is very small so nobody sees it unless they're very close with most finishes.

Plenty of pictures of this online, and you can try it yourself given 30 seconds, see if you like it.
Funny, I thought I'd get eggs thrown at me for asking that question, lol. I just figured most people don't wanna deface their Les Paul. I'll check it out. I'm not one that believes you shouldn't modify a guitar.
Quote by Vblue
Funny, I thought I'd get eggs thrown at me for asking that question, lol. I just figured most people don't wanna deface their Les Paul. I'll check it out. I'm not one that believes you shouldn't modify a guitar.

The pickguard on mine has been gone for 15+ yrs and it is just fine. I took it off to clean the guitar good and I realized how much better it looked with out it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I removed mine too. Mine are nice natural wood finishes, so the pickguard just hides some of the natural beauty.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm in the minority I like my LPs with pickguards, but i still like Lps without them also.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by Vblue

Modification is a favorite subject around here. I don't think you'd encounter too much resistance to personalizing a guitar, especially in such a non-invasive way as just taking the guard off.

Here's my Lester with and without.

I CAN'T STAND les pauls without a pickguard.

Unless it has a bigsby.
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
I've never even thought of doing this, and now i find myself reaching for the screwdriver...
My preference would probably be to put the screws back in, actually; I'm probably in the minority there though. I'd just rather that than having open holes in the guitar, despite how not-noticeable they'd be; it would just bug me.

EDIT: My LP came with a pickguard, but not attached. If I wanted to put it on I'd have to drill the holes myself and I don't really trust myself to do that, and I have no strong desire to put it on anyways.
I have a gibson LP studio faded so it looks incredibly plain, moreso without the pickguard. I left the pickguard on for that reason - it doesn't get in the way or anything

I'd probably take the pickguard off a les paul that has a nice flame top or something though - wouldn't want to hide that underneath a piece of plastic.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I took the pickguard off of my LP studio around the time AFI's DECEMBERUNDERGROUND record came out cuz at the time I was obsessed with them, and their guitarist was using LP studios with the pickguards removed. I've long since outgrown them as a band, but the aesthetic still looks good to me, and now when I play a Les Paul with the guard still on I find myself knocking against it because I'm not used to having a solid object in that area anymore.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I think some LPs look really nice and classy with the pick guard on, especially if it matches the colour of the binding and pickup rings.

It makes some look really tacky in my opinion though, especially on cherry, tobacco, and honeyburst finishes.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by Roc8995
Modification is a favorite subject around here. I don't think you'd encounter too much resistance to personalizing a guitar, especially in such a non-invasive way as just taking the guard off.

Here's my Lester with and without.

man i love this guitar! i have seen pics you posted before and this LP is perfect!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Ya, you did it justice by removing the pick guard! Sweet guitar.
There's gotta be more pics out there for you guys to show...come on....
Last edited by Vblue at Jan 16, 2014,
I've been considering removing my pickguard to try and stop me anchoring my hand to it. with the body lower, it should put me off.

Just haven't gotten round to it
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Blompcube
I have a gibson LP studio faded so it looks incredibly plain, moreso without the pickguard. I left the pickguard on for that reason - it doesn't get in the way or anything

I'd probably take the pickguard off a les paul that has a nice flame top or something though - wouldn't want to hide that underneath a piece of plastic.

Think you've got this wrong

One of my LPs is the faded studio (for some reason, Gibson call them 'Worn Satin' unlike every where they were sold!), I removed the pickguard because I wanted it to be nice & plain, just showing up the natural beauty of the wood's graining. I'd probably leave the pickguard on if it had a flametop.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 17, 2014,
LP's look wrong without a pickguard.

Colours aside, any deviation from this look is wrong
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist

he clearly prefers no pick guard.
Doubt it.

First time I've even seen him play a PRS.
There are millions of pictures with JP and his LP's, mainly with pickguards on.
Quote by The Judist

One. Trick. Pony.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2014,
Out of curiosity I did a google image search to see if Jimmy ever played without the pick guard. I couldn't find one pic of him without it, which doesn't mean he never did but I bet he left them on. It looks funny to see him play other guitars other than a les paul. IMO he doesn't look right because he's so known for the Les Paul.
if you take the pic guard off and top wrap only the bottom three strings it's instant slash tone.

fact.
For customs, pickguard on, for standards, it depends on body color, pick guard color, and whether it came with it on. As most said, I wouldn't drill for one if it didn't come that way, but neither would I remove it if it came with one on, I don't like having screws or open holes on the guitar for no reason.
The Pickguard Comes Off??????!!!!!!!!

Moving on.....
You wrap the strings over the top of your one-piece bridge instead if stringing through. It's something a lot of old blues players did that's and anecdotal difference in sound. It'll change how your bends feel.
@mephaphil, my god that's a sweet looking top on that thing!
@justrooster, that is really interesting. I've never heard of that being done. I'll have to pay attention next time I see Slash playing.
That A string is showing a bit of unmaking on that there bridge...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd need a step by step to understand what you've exactly done there. Man, you guys know it all on this forum. The things you can do with a guitar. Now, I'd be happy just to learn how to play the d**n thing! Thanks JustRooster for posting that pic, I kinda get it but could never do it myself. I need a les paul in front of me and my standard I just bought is getting setup at the shop first. Cool.
I like both. It kind of depends on the color. Goldtops look better with the pickguard but a nice burst shouldn't be covered.
I hate the pick guard. I pulled it off my studio. I do not collect guitars I play them. I also dumped the Burst Bucker Pros for Seymour Duncans. Take it off and save it.