Page 1 of 5
http://fox13now.com/2014/01/07/farmington-man-hopes-to-be-among-those-to-colonize-mars/ (with hilarious video of this dork talking and the woman news anchor laughing at him for being a dork)

Ken Sullivan is a finalist from Farmington. He is married and has four children ranging in age from 6 months to 13 years old.

“My wife thinks I’m crazy,” Sullivan told Fox 13 News.

Those chosen remain on Mars for the rest of their lives.

Sullivan said he’s OK with the commitment, noting that previous explorers and settlers like Columbus and Mormon pioneers took greater risks, going to places unknown never to see family or friends again.

“I’ll be able to email my kids”, he said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ken-sullivan-will-leave-wife-for-one-way-trip-to-mars-2014-1

Ken Sullivan, a 38-year-old medevac pilot living in Utah, is delighted to have been selected as a finalist for a one-way trip to Mars.
The one person who's not so jazzed?

Sullivan's wife, Becky, whom the Mars hopeful apparently did not consult before submitting his application, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

The mission to colonize Mars, called Mars One, won't launch the first human crew until 2024. Although the journey is still long off — with several more chances to be cut from the roster — it's already weighing heavily on the Sullivan's relationship.

"The question is do we get divorced now or get divorced later," Ms. Sullivan told the Tribune. "If I stand in the way of his dreams and passions, then we get divorced now, so I have to be supportive."

Mr. Sullivan not only has his wife to think about. He also has four kids. The youngest is 6 months and the oldest is 13.

"Hopefully there isn't too much hatred of my being selfish in pursuing a dream that isn't theirs," Sullivan said about his family.

Would you leave your loved ones and live on Mars for the rest of your life if the opportunity came up?
selfish as **** and he knows it

pretty much the same as abandonment, except for the e-mails but lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
selfish as **** and he knows it

**** selfish

"Oh yeah let me forfeit a one in a lifetime experience to visit another ****ing planet so I can stay here on some farm in Utah with you and die old and miserable''

lmao oh yeah sure he's so out of his mind
pinga
Getting bullied in high school because your daddy fucked off to Mars is gonna be an absolute madness
Quote by genghisgandhi
except the govt is definitely gonna see that his family is well off.

some good money doesn't really replace the lack of a father and a distraught mother

Quote by Cb4rabid
**** selfish

"Oh yeah let me forfeit a one in a lifetime experience to visit another ****ing planet so I can stay here on some farm in Utah with you and die old and miserable''

not out of his mind. it makes sense for him, of course that'd be what he wants to do. but i guarantee it isn't or won't be what his wife and children want. thus it's selfish as hell
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Jan 16, 2014,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
some good money doesn't really replace the lack of a father and a distraught mother

Fuck yeah it does. Damn my dad pissed off for free, I'd feel way better about it if I could have afforded a new Xbox when it came out damn
Quote by willT08
Getting bullied in high school because your daddy fucked off to Mars is gonna be an absolute madness

who would bully someone for that lol?
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

but it's not exactly 'pretty much the same as abandonment, except for the e-mails'
I wonder what his skin colour will turn into after he lives there for a while.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by genghisgandhi
who would bully someone for that lol?

Well in the private school she'll go to on those government funds I'd assume only having 1 parent would be a decent reason to take the piss out of someone. Them leaving for another planet just to be away from you would make it even easier lol
Quote by Cb4rabid
**** selfish

then don't have four ****ing kids
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by genghisgandhi

but it's not exactly 'pretty much the same as abandonment, except for the e-mails'

yeah. how is it different? he didn't have his wife or children's consent to ****ing leave for the rest of his life

the thing about being a husband and father is you kinda gotta be there. at least as a father.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Jan 16, 2014,
Imagine being that guy who tells EVERYONE that their dad "had the chance" to go to Mars. That'd be so shitty. It'd be better for them now if he left

EDIT: I really think having the chance to be a name that will never be forgotten through human history is a decent enough excuse to leave Utah yano
I think some of you guys are underestimating how badass emigrating to another planet is.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by willT08
Imagine being that guy who tells EVERYONE that their dad "had the chance" to go to Mars. That'd be so shitty. It'd be better for them now if he left

or it'd be pretty cool to be like "my dad didn't go to mars because he wanted to stay here with me"
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Hydra150
I think some of you guys are underestimating how badass emigrating to another planet is.

yeah they probably have some good pubs up there #LOL #NOT
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
or it'd be pretty cool to be like "my dad didn't go to mars because he wanted to stay here with me"

They already can't say that because he wants to go
Quote by willT08

They already can't say that because he wants to go

umm, yeah because he sucks and i hate him

i was referring to a theoretical decent human being
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Wanting to lead humanity into new worlds seems like a decent thing to do whether you've got a wife and kids or not. Some things are more important than family
For Mars? No.

One way trip to Europa or some shit? Sign me up. I wanna know what's going on with that freaky ice moon. Mars is just rocks and stuff though. You've seen one pile of red rocks, you've seen them all. You'd be bored after 5 minutes so all you get is bragging rights and the only people you've got to brag to are all also currently on Mars so what'd be the point even?
Quote by willT08
Wanting to lead humanity into new worlds seems like a decent thing to do whether you've got a wife and kids or not. Some things are more important than family

Nah other people could have done it exactly as well
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by willT08

Maybe if you're a shitty father, perhaps.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by homeless-john
You've seen one pile of red rocks, you've seen them all. You'd be bored after 5 minutes so all you get is bragging rights and the only people you've got to brag to are all also currently on Mars so what'd be the point even?

nah but you can totes email your old school friends though and be like "sorry bro I can't make the reunion I'M ON FUCKING MARS"

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Nah other people could have done it exactly as well

Maybe Mars needs a paternal touch that a non-family man couldn't bring exactly as well
Quote by Hydra150
nah but you can totes email your old school friends though and be like "sorry bro I can't make the reunion I'M ON FUCKING MARS"

Yeah but if enough people do it then it'll eventually become the equivalent of going on a gap year to volunteer in some third world country.
Meh. Men and women abandon each other and their families all the time. At least this guy will be contributing to science and not just drinking in a titty bar.
Quote by homeless-john
Yeah but if enough people do it then it'll eventually become the equivalent of going on a gap year to volunteer in some third world country.

Sure, but you're still amongst the first. You get to put 'space pioneer' on your CV.
Quote by homeless-john

first of all excellent analogy, second do you know how long people are gonna be talking about Neil Armstrong?
this thread is like a phycologists who studies the effect of broken home's wet dream
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've never been to Mars but I imagine it's quite lovely.
Quote by Hydra150
Sure, but you're still amongst the first. You get to put 'space pioneer' on your CV.

You can but the only people that can hire you are also on Mars so it's no more valuable that putting "I LIVE ON EARTH" on your CV here.

Quote by genghisgandhi
first of all excellent analogy, second do you know how long people are gonna be talking about Neil Armstrong?

Hell of a lot longer than they'll be talking about Buzz Aldrin.
Quote by WCPhils
this thread is like a phycologists who studies the effect of broken home's wet dream

People from broken homes are bigger supporters of scientific inquiry and adventure apparently. Maybe because we had to play outside rather than playing with our dads in our pools, I dunno.
I was gonna give him shit, but he's also getting as far away as possible from Utah. For that, he's got my approval.

But seriously, that's fucked up.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by homeless-john
You can but the only people that can hire you are also on Mars so it's no more valuable that putting "I LIVE ON EARTH" on your CV here.

Nah, with the right communications infrastructure you can take telecommuting off-planet

the future of outsourcing is martian
i hope he rots in misery and guilt and boredom and regret the rest of his life while he's supposed to be marveling
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Page 1 of 5