Page 1 of 2
I was looking to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark V soon (made a couple threads already) but from researching a little bit more, a lot of people seem to like their Mark IV. Its almost a 50/50 split, and if not, more people seem to like the Mark IV more than the Mark V.

I just wanted to know what GG&A thought. I've looked on the Mesa Boogie boards for similar threads, but they seem to be a few years old. I figured there'd be a slightly more solid opinion on the Mark V now, and hopefully more people have gotten their hands on one.

Can anybody share their thoughts on these two amps? I'm looking for a lot of versatility, and both, from what I've read could deliver on it.

Thanks.

Edit: Cathbard, I wish to summon thee!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jan 16, 2014,
Either one is an amazing. I'd probably get the IV only because used it is a great deal since the V has been out a while.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I'm looking on ebay, and a used Mark IV is about $1400. And a used Mark V is almost nowhere to be found. They're still going for $2k used.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
They're close enough I'd take the cheaper Mark IV
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
From everything I hear, the Mark IV has the better high gain sound, but Mark V has it on everything else. I think that they are both great, but it's tough to say which would be better.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Ippon
You can snag a IV for less than 1000 and a V for ~1500, if you're patient.

This, I actually got my Mark IV combo for $850 hell of a deal

I prefer my Mark IV for high gain over the Mark V I tried a few times, but just by a hair. The V is definitely more versatile IMO.
Mark IV for modern metal sound preference.

Mark V for low gain & clean sound preference.

Both amps are excellent, that's just their slight advantages over each other air think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The most metal sounding sound I'm going for would be Dillinger Escape Plan, Russian Circles and Mastodon-esque. ...Which I guess is fairly high gain.

I plan to play everything that sounds like This Will Destroy You all the way to Russian Circles sounding stuff. And attempting to play jazz as well,
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
The IV has the better lead channel, IMO, however, R1 and R2 on the Mark V are better. The R1 and R2 on the IV share bass and mid controls, but they are independent on the V, and also have selectable wattage per channel. And while I like the IV's lead channel better, it really only has one sound, but it's a fantastic sound! The V has a few more options on the Lead channel.

I would pickup a IV and use the money "saved" for extra tubes. I use mine in tweed power, and the tubes last a good amount, but extra tubes never hurt!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by AWACS
The most metal sounding sound I'm going for would be Dillinger Escape Plan, Russian Circles and Mastodon-esque. ...Which I guess is fairly high gain.

I plan to play everything that sounds like This Will Destroy You all the way to Russian Circles sounding stuff. And attempting to play jazz as well,

Why are you looking at Marks at all? That list is screaming Mesa Roadster (or at least Tremoverb if budget is an issue).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Why are you looking at Marks at all? That list is screaming Mesa Roadster (or at least Tremoverb if budget is an issue).

Yep, if you're looking for the rectifier sound, the Marks won't do it. That's why I bought a recto to go along with my Mark, lol!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Offworld92

No most of that would need something Marshall-ish, Orange-ish or Laney-ish in tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Reincaster
The IV has the better lead channel, IMO, however, R1 and R2 on the Mark V are better. The R1 and R2 on the IV share bass and mid controls, but they are independent on the V, and also have selectable wattage per channel. And while I like the IV's lead channel better, it really only has one sound, but it's a fantastic sound! The V has a few more options on the Lead channel.

I would pickup a IV and use the money "saved" for extra tubes. I use mine in tweed power, and the tubes last a good amount, but extra tubes never hurt!

+311
Quote by Offworld92

2 very nice amps; however, I think AWACS is interested in the Mark sound.

Also, I'd go with the V because of the feature upgrades/versatility.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No most of that would need something Marshall-ish, Orange-ish or Laney-ish in tone

^this. The sounds you are going after don't make me think Mesa at all.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If Mark IV's could be found for a grand or less here there'd be one sitting next to me now. I still haven't even seen a Mark V in the flesh. I don't think I've met a working muso that had enough money to drop on one, they're like $5K.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I much prefer the Mark V for everything. I guess if you're going for the Mark IV sound... the Mark V really doesn't deliver on its Mark IV setting, but I don't really care, cause its low gain and mid gain kick the shit out of the Mark IV, and I never found the IV's lead channel to be particularly spectacular, anyway.

If I was considering a Mark IV, I'd just buy a Mark III. It has everything I liked about the Mark IV, in a cheaper package, plus I like the cleans better
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll have to admit, I'm not exactly sure what sound I'm going for. Most of what I play is original material. I love post-rock, Minus the Bear, Scale the Summit, Russian Circles, Opeth, and post-hardcore apparently. (Just discovered Underoath last week, and enjoyed a full concert of theirs.)

The versatility potential of the V is what piqued my interest. I am willing to spend cash on buying another amp that will make me not want to buy another amp for a long time.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I'll have to admit, I'm not exactly sure what sound I'm going for. Most of what I play is original material. I love post-rock, Minus the Bear, Scale the Summit, Russian Circles, Opeth, and post-hardcore apparently. (Just discovered Underoath last week, and enjoyed a full concert of theirs.)

The versatility potential of the V is what piqued my interest. I am willing to spend cash on buying another amp that will make me not want to buy another amp for a long time.

I would look more towards the Mark V then, the cleans are better than the IV (IMO). You might even want to check out the Lonestar. Dave from Minus the Bear uses a Lonestar and it's cleans are better than the V. It has a decent amount of gain on tap but you'll def need an overdrive pedal for the heavy stuff.
Quote by schecter ftw
I would look more towards the Mark V then, the cleans are better than the IV (IMO). You might even want to check out the Lonestar. Dave from Minus the Bear uses a Lonestar and it's cleans are better than the V. It has a decent amount of gain on tap but you'll def need an overdrive pedal for the heavy stuff.

I know Mr. Dave Knudson uses a Lonestar combo (are they all combos?) in Minus the Bear, but he also pairs it up with a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is arguably the quintessential cleans amp. And Dave Knudson doesn't use very gain-y tones, they're more low-gain, slightly broken up. Not quite the same sound he used with Botch
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS

neither is superior IMO different. yes the V has a better low mid gain, but i think the higher gain is better. i must say i have only played and tweaked with it for maybe a couple of hours but being somewhat familiar with the marks it easier. i have a MKIV head i snagged for $750ish. great amp. i use two OD's on it i have full boost from a timmy on R2 and a zendrive on Lead totally unleashes it. it doesn't need the pedals and they are on maybe half of the time.

i also scored a trem-o-verb for $700 it is MINT. i love it, oddly i really dig the sag and love the tube rectification over. its a beast. i have both channels on gain, the first channel i have low and really loose and bassy, the second channel more modern, and aggressive and a love it. i A/B it all the time with the MKIV and they compliment each other well.

IMO if you want the mesa you like. mark, or rec. everything goes from there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry trashed, the high gain on the Mark V is better? Or the Mark IV's high gain is better?

And really, what you're saying is, you can't really go wrong?

EDIT: Also, the reverb on the Mark V doesn't really do anything for me. Yes, I would like reverb (going to look for a reverb pedal after the amp purchase) but I don't get "physical/analog" reverb. Just not my thing. I'd rather have a Strymon Blue Sky
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Jan 17, 2014,
Quote by AWACS
Sorry trashed, the high gain on the Mark V is better? Or the Mark IV's high gain is better?

And really, what you're saying is, you can't really go wrong?

EDIT: Also, the reverb on the Mark V doesn't really do anything for me. Yes, I would like reverb (going to look for a reverb pedal after the amp purchase) but I don't get "physical/analog" reverb. Just not my thing. I'd rather have a Strymon Blue Sky

better high gain on the MKIV. could be because i only played it ~2hrs, and the marks are hard to dial in.

honestly i wouldn't trade my MKIV for a MKV i don't really feel bias, the are both great amps. phenomenal amps. either way you should be hapy.

i am always looking for a mkiii, but haven't fount the right one at the right time to add to my studio

but thats not what you want, from what you are saying.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Okay, I guess the difference is what I said before is what I wanted to play. Now, I'm playing with a band of guys, and its mostly... mainstream metal? Everyone besides me agrees on stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, and maybe Atreyu.

Which is entirely different from what I enjoy listening to, but I do put my own spin on it. I think I'm also the lead guitarist too, so thats something else too
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Okay, I guess the difference is what I said before is what I wanted to play. Now, I'm playing with a band of guys, and its mostly... mainstream metal? Everyone besides me agrees on stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, and maybe Atreyu.

lamb of god both played MKIV's they switched at some point but it was for sure after sacrament. i am not sure but i think all of the above bands are 5150/6505 type of amps.

rec's are good with mixing in 6505's. that may be an option.

i don't know how 6505's go with marks. i am looking for a 5150 at the moment and if i find one soon (have the cash just not the right listing yet) i will let you know.

if you want a rec, go for the trem-o-verb, it blows most other recs to bits. i love mine. big thing with recs is just don't get a 3ch if you can avoid it.

also triples are more expensive to tube as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by AWACS

Which is entirely different from what I enjoy listening to, but I do put my own spin on it. I think I'm also the lead guitarist too, so thats something else too

Mark V is a tweaker's amp and if you get past the disappointment that some experienced due to the Mesa Marketing hype (MARK I, MARK IIC+, and MARK IV ) when it first came out, it's a very nice and versatile amp!

Check out the Road King II, too.
Well, after looking at a couple dozen reviews and demos for these amps, I'm back at square 1.

The Mark IV I could buy used for a lot cheaper than a new Mark V (obviously), so the IV would be easier on the wallet, and I can get a new cab for the price of the Mark V, with extra cash to spare. The Mark IV also seems like its been put through its paces and has built up a reputation, while the Mark V is still a bit newer.

The Mark V seems like it would have just a bit more versatility in it because Mesa/Boogie has had the experience of building the Mark IV, and hopefully got all of the best qualities out of the IV, into the V. The Mark V is 1.5x the cost of a used IV though, and I would like to buy a new cab to justify an amazing amp.

I'm stuck guys. The main styles I am planning on playing are post rock which is quite clean most times, and more modern metal. I'm on the fence, but am just leaning towards the Mark IV. Barely.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
^Why do you need a new cab? And why are you comparing used Mark IV prices to new Mark V prices?

You could get a Mesa 4x12 and the Mark V used for less than 2 grand, if you look hard enough. IMO, the Mark IV is a total waste of money, unless you can get it stupid cheap. I know a lot of guys on here will disagree with that statement, but I have never found the tone of the Mark IV to be particularly mind blowing. The Mark V is an amp I've owned before and still wouldn't mind owning again, I would not say the same about the Mark IV. I've owned pretty much every Mesa amp ever made at this point and the Mark IV is probably one of my least favorite of them all. I don't know what used prices are looking like now, but unless it's similar in price to what a Mark III would cost, I wouldn't put my money toward one... even then, like I said, i still prefer the Mark III's tone and the only reason I'd be buying the IV is because it's probably easier to sell, once I got bored of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ There was a Mark V that went for $1500 at RT recently. The cheapest I've seen it go was 1350 (mine ). I've seen a clean IV go for 800.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
... i have a MKIV head i snagged for $750ish. ...

I thought you paid 875.
Quote by MatrixClaw
^Why do you need a new cab? And why are you comparing used Mark IV prices to new Mark V prices?

You could get a Mesa 4x12 and the Mark V used for less than 2 grand, if you look hard enough. IMO, the Mark IV is a total waste of money, unless you can get it stupid cheap. I know a lot of guys on here will disagree with that statement, but I have never found the tone of the Mark IV to be particularly mind blowing. The Mark V is an amp I've owned before and still wouldn't mind owning again, I would not say the same about the Mark IV. I've owned pretty much every Mesa amp ever made at this point and the Mark IV is probably one of my least favorite of them all. I don't know what used prices are looking like now, but unless it's similar in price to what a Mark III would cost, I wouldn't put my money toward one... even then, like I said, i still prefer the Mark III's tone and the only reason I'd be buying the IV is because it's probably easier to sell, once I got bored of it.

New cab? I don't know. I guess I just wanted to get a new one.

Used Mark IV prices compared to new Mark V? Because thats what is available to me. I am located in central Manitoba, Canada. The nearest city is 5-6 hours away, the city I usually got to is 8-9 hours away. The used market in my entire province is small. And I don't really want to buy from the U.S. if its possible.

A used Mark IV in Ontario is $1300. A new Mesa Mark V is $2300. I cannot find one on kijiji in a 1000km radius of Toronto. All the Mark V's on eBay are still around $2200; they all are seemingly being sold by stores, and not by individuals though.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I had a Mark IV for a few months and have owned a Mark V for roughly two years now.

The IV, as mentioned is great at the high gain stuff. Relatively easy to dial in once you know how it works too. Everything else in my opinion was poor at best.

The Mark V is a different beast. Clean all the way up to mid gain is there pretty much right away, but the high gain stuff really takes some time to figure out. It's not that those tones aren't there and it's not that the Mark IV has better high gain tones it's just that it's much harder to dial in the high gain on the V than the IV. The bass is extraordinarily finicky and there's a fine line between no bass and completely muddy flubby bass.

If all you want are those high gain tones then go for a IV. Otherwise get a V.
Quote by AWACS
New cab? I don't know. I guess I just wanted to get a new one.

Used Mark IV prices compared to new Mark V? Because thats what is available to me. I am located in central Manitoba, Canada. The nearest city is 5-6 hours away, the city I usually got to is 8-9 hours away. The used market in my entire province is small. And I don't really want to buy from the U.S. if its possible.

A used Mark IV in Ontario is $1300. A new Mesa Mark V is $2300. I cannot find one on kijiji in a 1000km radius of Toronto. All the Mark V's on eBay are still around $2200; they all are seemingly being sold by stores, and not by individuals though.

In that case, i wouldn't buy either. With the exchange rate, you're still paying ~$1200 USD for the Mark IV. I know you're not wanting to buy from outside of your region, but there's no way I'd pay that much for a Mark IV, when you could buy one from the US for $400 less and have it shipped to you for much less than $400, plus it's made in the US, so you shouldn't have to pay customs fees...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I may just have to put Mesa's on the back-burner for a while...

Any other amps you guys would recommend for versatility? Something with a good clean 1st channel, and a more modern metal sounding 2nd, or 3rd channel?

Edit: Preferably from here: http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=departments&DepartmentsID=215&FilterCost=2
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Jan 21, 2014,
I still stick by my Mesa Roadster suggestion. DEP uses Dual Recs, I'm pretty sure Mastodon has used Dual Recs in some capacity (blended with other stuff, as they pretty much blend tons of shit to get their tone). You can definitely pull off Russian Circles with a Roadster (I've seen them live).

The Road King II has even much better cleans than the Roadster, but it's a prohibitively expensive amp for most people. The Roadster is a really good financial stopgap.

You can also get an Orange Thunderverb 50 for the same price. Monster of an amp, but might not do DEP.

If you can find them used, you could get a Marshall SL-X for dirt, and some kind of Fender Deluxe for cleans (Hot Rod III on the cheap). Just make sure you get a noise gate for the SL-X, they're noisy ****ers (but a ton of fun to play. So much raw gain.).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 21, 2014,
I'm not a big fan of the Mark IV, it's a cool amp but the Mark III does it better for me and is easier to dial in. I still think the III is the best Mark they've made (especially when comparing used prices), and they're available in so many variations that favor whatever your specific needs may be.

As far as amps with excellent clean channels and solid high gain channels..
Framus Cobra/Dragon
Mesa Tremoverb, Road King, Royal Atlantic
Peavey JSX
Soldano Lucky 13 (basically a cleaned up Hot Rod Plus)
EVH 5153
Randall RM100
Titan Custom
Peters Halo with a Gryphon, Chimera, Hydra channel

With the budget you have, there's a gazillion options . That's just a quick list I thought up off the top of my head.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Personally, I think the MKV is much more intuitive than the Mark IV, without any shared controls - AND, more options. There are a lot of tones the MKV can cover that the IV doesn't. Both great amps...
Quote by Offworld92
I still stick by my Mesa Roadster suggestion. DEP uses Dual Recs, I'm pretty sure Mastodon has used Dual Recs in some capacity (blended with other stuff, as they pretty much blend tons of shit to get their tone). You can definitely pull off Russian Circles with a Roadster (I've seen them live).

The Road King II has even much better cleans than the Roadster, but it's a prohibitively expensive amp for most people. The Roadster is a really good financial stopgap.

You can also get an Orange Thunderverb 50 for the same price. Monster of an amp, but might not do DEP.

I've owned all of these amps, and actually prefer my current Roadster over either version of Road King I've owned. Don't get me wrong... the RK is a cool amp, but it has a ton of features I'll never use. The Roadster is perfect for what I need and sounds just as good.

Funny enough, I actually traded a Thunderverb for my Roadster. Really cool amps, quite dug its sound... but it really doesn't have a dedicated clean channel and I much preferred one over the other. Cleans can be had, but it's not very flexible. I'd go with a Rockerverb, unless you want doomy sounds. Love that amp.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a Mark IV, I'd just buy a 50w EVH 5150 III... Not exactly the same sound, I guess, but a better clean channel, a better crunch channel and a lead channel that's just as good. It also only costs $1000... new
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I pretty much hate the 50W 5150 III. It has good clean and mid gain tones, but the modern high gain isn't there. I think the 50W version puts the 100W version in a bad light, which is the version that does have that modern tone (see: Gojira's & Periphery's latest albums).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I pretty much hate the 50W 5150 III. It has good clean and mid gain tones, but the modern high gain isn't there. I think the 50W version puts the 100W version in a bad light, which is the version that does have that modern tone (see: Gojira's & Periphery's latest albums).

I'll half agree with you there. I didn't find the 50w to be as exciting as I remember the 100w, but I still think it does high gain fairly well, I just didn't find it particularly wow'ing (like the Mark IV). For the price though, there's not much else that can compete with it in sound and versatility. FWIW, there's a ton of guys on the Sneap forum with the 50w making some awesome metal records with it, so it can clearly do it well... I just prefer my original 5150 for those high gain tones
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
So I may have to make yet another "recommend me an amp" thread...

Ideally, I want an amp that will be my last amp, or, that I could enjoy for decades (fingers crossed) before I would want to be another one, because of tone, not for reliability issues. Dillinger Escape Plan may be an outlier for a sound that I want. I would like to cut through the mix (wouldn't we all like to ), and have the amp be quite articulate as well.

In my mind, and this could totally be false, a lot of Orange amps are great for rock, a little less great for metal, and not so great with cleans.

Marshall looks interesting too, I know they're not used too often with modern metal, is this for a reason? There's something like a Super Lead, but that seems more rock than metal to me.

Karnivool, one of favourite bands seems to mainly use 5150's and a Super Lead. Opeth is another band that I'm starting to dig, and Mikael Akkerfeldt just switched over from Laney to a Marshall JVM for Heritage (iirc). Thoughts?

Thanks.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Page 1 of 2