While avoiding household chores , I decided to go ahead and rewire my 2x15" Dual Showman cabinet from 4 ohms to 16 ohms to see what it sounded like.

I think I know why Eric Johnson has his Twins wired @ 16 ohms - it lowers the output a bit, but really brings out the higher frequencies and the only way I can explain it is it cleans up the signal so you can get more dirt in there. I had the Randall distortion on top of my ME-50's MT-2 and OD-2.

I don't know if I like it or not yet, it is different and will take some getting used to. New tones. I'm certainly cranking the volume higher and the bass is maxed. I'm going to max everything when there is nobody home to complain of bleeding ears. I can see using this setting for solos, so I'm thinking about wiring a switch. I'd complain about needing more power, but the cabinet would probably blow apart!

Anybody have favorable results changing impedance?

BTW - these are Celestion Trace Elliot model# TE-BS-15300-8. Not really a guitar or bass speaker, more like pro audio or PA. Think of a LOUD Big Ben with a little more British tone and tighter response. Much cheaper than the used JBL's I was going to use with a great range and they kick ass all over the Eminence-spec drivers I was using. Like I said before in another thread, they are louder and cleaner than my Randall 4x12" that melted last year. "Designed in Great Britain;" I think they were built in China.
I can't hardly tell any diffrences
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
BUT, higher impedance means more turns of wire and therefore more inductance. That should equate to less top end, not more (I can't hear it either). What you are saying does not compute.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could record the signal, duplicate it, then reamp, and reverse phase.

Then layer them exactly on top and play.

If silent nothing has changed. If you hear audible changes then it has. Super easy, and scientifically correct

I don't know exactly what happens with what you do TS though, and there could be bias by this method if there is a volume difference or something, but even then you can slowly raise volume up untill the phases allign.

Some good (free) spectrum analyser comes in handy as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 17, 2014,
Well, I haven't had time to mess with it anymore, but thought about recording or maybe even taking HD video so you can hear it. I've done wiring a million times, + to + = parallel, and + to - = series. So unless the factory got the terminals on one backward it should be good. It does make sense that I should have a fuller bottom end. I'm also thinkin' that my amp is acting up again - I thought I fixed a MID pot problem a few months ago, but I started thinking about it and it is doing almost the same thing; before it was a reverb problem.

I'll check it out...
...yep, 3.6 ohms. I put the multimeter to the patch cable before the wife and I went out. SOMEBODY feels a little small right now. There's definitely a difference - a lot less boomy with palm mutes and more highs. Maybe it's more noticeable with 15" speakers. Now I'm a little upset that I sold my Fender Champ - I bet it would sound so much better. All this time I thought it was 4 ohms. :smh: I gotta remember to mark the terminals of the reversed speaker. Maybe that's why they were discontinued and so cheap. Still sound better than my G12M-70.

Thanks for catching that, Cathbard!

Now to wait until the neighbors are asleep.