Hey guys, I'm going to College and I am thinking of bringing my acoustic guitar with me. It isn't anything expensive, I got it at a pawnshop, I enjoy it a lot though I'm just wondering if anyone has experience bringing acoustics to college with them or playing in front of people. At my house, I can just play by myself, but I'm really nervous at the thought of people hearing me play, I can play chords and know a few songs but I'm definitely not an awesome guitar player, I started with electric and just picked up an acoustic like a month ago, I'm getting better but I dunno why I'm so nervous about it. I don't wanna come across as the guitar guys that just play to get laid I guess, I dunno.

Sorry for the lame questions and such, I just want some opinions on the matter.
I'm a lot like that- I don't really like to play for/in front of others.

However, you have an electric...if you want to play without being noticed, play that, unplugged. Or through a portable digital modeler.

And besides, having a guitar in college can be a great icebreaker...and not just with the ladies. Other players will want to jam and/or all shop with you.

So embrace it, don't fear it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2014,
Quote by acousticjamming
Hey guys, I'm going to College and I am thinking of bringing my acoustic guitar with me. It isn't anything expensive, I got it at a pawnshop, I enjoy it a lot though I'm just wondering if anyone has experience bringing acoustics to college with them or playing in front of people. At my house, I can just play by myself, but I'm really nervous at the thought of people hearing me play, I can play chords and know a few songs but I'm definitely not an awesome guitar player, I started with electric and just picked up an acoustic like a month ago, I'm getting better but I dunno why I'm so nervous about it. I don't wanna come across as the guitar guys that just play to get laid I guess, I dunno.

Sorry for the lame questions and such, I just want some opinions on the matter.

I took my guitar with me to college when I was pretty much at the same stage as you - I'd been learning for about a year. It was one of the best things I ever did - it enabled me to meet other guitarists and brought on my skills rapidly.

Oh - and it helped me get laid

Oh - but that was 45 years ago
I didn't play guitar in college... well actually I was in college when I first picked up the guitar, but was almost done... so I didn't actually learn any guitar until later. However as for playing in front of people... I had the same trepidation as you. I didn't even want to practice if people were home, or whatever. But I started playing and singing where a singer/songwriter friend of mine was the only one listening.... and after a while started not worrying about who heard me practicing and stuff.... and then I played for an actual audience. Once I did that.... well I got kind of an endorphin rush out of playing for people. I never was an awesome player or singer, and I'm still not... but I'm no longer afraid at all to play for people and I actually love to perform. I perform regularly now for online audiences and go to open mics around my area when I get the chance.

Basically what I'm saying is just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and play when you want to play. Don't worry about the people.. they aren't judging you the way you think they might. Some will like what you do, some might not, and some wont' pay any attention. But they really don't matter.... and once you do it a few times... the nervousness fades and you can have fun with it. It'll give you the chance to meet others who play music and the chance to play with others... and at least to me, that is when music is the best.. when there are others playing with you and people around enjoying the music. It's all about people. Playing alone in your room is fun, but it's magnitudes more fun with others
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm a lot like that- I don't really like to play for/in front of others.

However, you have an electric...if you want to play without being noticed, play that, unplugged. Or through a portable digital modeler.

And besides, having a guitar in college can be a great icebreaker...and not just with the ladies. Other players will want to jam and/or all shop with you.

So embrace it, don't fear it.

college is what got me to play in front of others, I always thought I sucked but everyone else thinks I'm amazing.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Thank you everyone for your responses, I woke up this morning and looked at it and was like, I think I'll just leave it home but after reading these I think I'll definitely bring it along.

I've always had a weird stage fright, shy thing going on, that would be cool to get rid of I think.
Honestly, some people never overcome stage fright.

However, that hasn't stopped some of those people from becoming world-famous performers. Barbara Streisand is infamous in this regard- her stage fright has caused her no end of trouble, including scrapped tours. Still, there is no question tht she does get out there & perform.

It isn't so much that she has conquered it, but that for short periods of time, she manages to bulldozer through the fear she feels.

So. As the saying goes, you can eat an elephant one bite at a time. Don't take your struggle with stage fright as a single massive conflict, but rather, as a project you can manage with a series of small victories.

Maybe you never fully conquer it, but you may be able to make it sit in the corner for a few hours at a time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/05/celebrities-with-stage-fright_n_3022146.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2014,
definitely bring it. it'll be better to have it and not play it than to not have it and want to.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i had a question regarding college and my guitar the other day. i was worried about bringing my guitar to college for fear of it being stolen or broken. a seasoned guitar player told me that what i should do is buy myself another guitar. buy it cheap, but with a good neck. now make the guitar look like shit, do whatever you can to distress the guitar without actually harming it. sand it a little, put stupid stickers on it, spill nail polish on it, whatever. this way nobody will think its worth anything, but you still have something to play. i thought it was some good advice worth passing on :]
Many of my friends in college were music majors with very expensive instruments. Of all the robberies on campus, not a one involved an instrument: the thieves were after cash, jewelry and portable electronics. Dorm thieves travel lightly.

The only people I know who have had instruments stolen lost them at gigs or from their homes.

I brought it along! Chilling in dorm right now, played a bit earlier, it was fine. :P

Don't know what I was freaking out about.
Quote by Mainer
I brought my acoustic to college with me, almost everyone else on my floor of the dorm I'm in plays too! I've met some cool people!

Great - enjoy the life - but do some work too!