i live in a very small town with not many musicians and the few that exist are already in bands. i have been in my current band for about 6 months now and we just played our first show a couple weeks ago. i play "lead", even though we only have one song with a solo. i am a very experienced musician and have been the lead guitarist in 4 different bands before i moved here. the songs we play are in drop c and are written in this order, CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHROMATIC HEADBANG HEADBANG CHUGGA CHUGGA CHROMATIC HEADBANG LET ALL STRINGS RING. in most scenarios, i can adjust to any style or genre, but i am the only one who stays in key and locks into rhythms. our drummer is all over the place and plays very simple "drum machine" style beats. they asked me to join their band but whenever i try to contribute to the writing process, the other guitarist get frustrated and says its not heavy enough and not "doomy" enough or its too complicated. i can slow down and make things simple to accommodate other people's styles but sometimes i feel insulted because i am obviously the only one who knows what theyre doing and they basically spit all over my ideas. most of all, i feel like my capabilities are not being used to their full extent. i have to hold back and learn riffs that make no musical sense. theres nothing i love more in life than being a musician and expressing myself through the instrument with a band. but it seems like this is the only chance ill ever get here to be in a band, and these guys have connections with producers and venue owners which helps out a lot. if you took the time to read my essay, please share your thoughts about my situation.
It's all insulting playing in a band with a bunch of egotistic charectors.lol
The last band I was in. I ended up playing bass during practice and leading
the damn drummer instead of the drummer keeping time for me.
The othe guitar player wanted to sing, play lead. blah...blah..blah.
Half of the time I had to set up and hual shit around.

I wouldnt quit just yet. Do you have more gigs? Make that one solo shine
or let it rip before and after the set. Like you're warming up or whatever.
Maybe you'll meet more people and musican as you go.

Other than that. You gatta start looking for a good drummer. You know how
hard they are to come by. Idk, maybe I gotta start hanging around churches too.lol
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 17, 2014,
Quote by WastedWill
i live in a very small town with not many musicians and the few that exist are already in bands. i have been in my current band for about 6 months now and we just played our first show a couple weeks ago. i play "lead", even though we only have one song with a solo. i am a very experienced musician and have been the lead guitarist in 4 different bands before i moved here. the songs we play are in drop c and are written in this order, CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHROMATIC HEADBANG HEADBANG CHUGGA CHUGGA CHROMATIC HEADBANG LET ALL STRINGS RING. in most scenarios, i can adjust to any style or genre, but i am the only one who stays in key and locks into rhythms. our drummer is all over the place and plays very simple "drum machine" style beats. they asked me to join their band but whenever i try to contribute to the writing process, the other guitarist get frustrated and says its not heavy enough and not "doomy" enough or its too complicated. i can slow down and make things simple to accommodate other people's styles but sometimes i feel insulted because i am obviously the only one who knows what theyre doing and they basically spit all over my ideas. most of all, i feel like my capabilities are not being used to their full extent. i have to hold back and learn riffs that make no musical sense. theres nothing i love more in life than being a musician and expressing myself through the instrument with a band. but it seems like this is the only chance ill ever get here to be in a band, and these guys have connections with producers and venue owners which helps out a lot. if you took the time to read my essay, please share your thoughts about my situation.

Just by reading your post I think you answered your own question. Of course you should quit this band what kind of bullshit are they on? You're the most experienced band member, and yet you can't even contribute musical ideas?

Don't even waste your talent there you wont grow as a musician if you stay in this band. Join a band with members that are on the same level as you or on a higher level. If you're not feeling comfortable with something then don't go along with it... Follow your intuition is the best advice I can give you i'm pretty sure it's saying to leave the band you're currently in.
Last edited by Black_devils at Jan 17, 2014,
I quIt my band for the the same reason. They thought I was some guitar god when I could improvise solos on their songs on the spot. All the songs were very poor and simplistic power chord folk metal and I was not really allowed to contribute. The drummer was very good technically but a very poor composer. Knew zero music theory or anything.
An alternative is to stay in the band but use your writing talent for your own material independent of them. Stay with them in case this goes somewhere - might get your name out - but in the meantime, form a "one-man band" writing the stuff you'd like to be playing with this band. You can get performing members later - for now, give this a try. Either way, if there really are so few musicians in your area, it's not like you could drop them and then form a new band right away.
Step one, bring a microphone and record the band rehearsal.
Step two, record your guitar and just the drums.
Step three, review the recordings with the band, when they do not have their instruments present.

It's likely they have no idea that they suck. If they don't hear that your guitar playing is tight, and something of value, then quit and let them do whatever.

It's not fair to bash on peoples abilities, such as 'only plays robotic beats'. he's probably doing his best, and nothing but lots and lots of practice is going to change that, so cut him some slack. What you do need to object to is people who don't listen to each other, or respect each others talents and abilities (you are guilty of this toob. This is something you guys all need to work on together, basic shit such as staying in time and deciding on a key. Otherwise its not a band, its just people making noise in the same room, and you should not feel any hesitatxon in walking away if you don't like that.
Are you good at getting the band gigs? are you marketing skills up to par? Do you own and or set up the PA or are you in charge of making that happen? Did you arrange for the rehearsal room that you use....

If your doing all this and are the awesome axeplayer you say than tell them to fock uff ...

....if not well then there's no u in team and they're better off without you.

Your welcome.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
If you don't enjoy the music that they want to play that is a good sign you should try to find a new band. That goes double if they don't want to let you in on the songwriting process. Unless you know them well enough to work it out things are probably not going to get any easier.

On the other hand, if you don't think you could get another band going it might be wise to try to make changes. Try talking to each member individually and see if you can get them to understand your perspective. Sometimes arguing with a group is harder than trying to solve things one on one.