Hi everybody!

I'm in need of help to better understand and hopefully you fine people will help me find what's wrong with my wiring in my Jackson KE3.

Firstly, the volume pot was on it's last legs and the 3-way toggle was becoming "weak" in switching positions, had to use some force to switch between pick-up positions. So it was time for a replacement and I purchased a new 500k volume pot and 3-way toggle and at the same time, decided to give shielding a go.

I've shielded both pick-up cavities and the control cavity & cover. I've made two wire's soldered to a small terminal from the pick-up cavities and I've screwed them each down to the bottom of the cavities and they meet inside the control cavity alongside the tremolo ground wire.

Now I've wound all "cavity shield" and tremolo wire's together along with the grounding wires from the pick-ups (green & bare), jack ground and 3-way toggle, wrapped and soldered onto a terminal and have screwed that into the control cavity wall. From there another wire from the terminal to the back of the volume pot.

The only noise I get is buzzing or nothing but the volume pot making a scratching noise from the amp when I turn the volume up or down.

Here's a (bad drawn) diagram of the wiring I've done.

Here's a real photo of the wiring.

I've tried to eliminate each component and so far they work and I've tested them with a multimeter and read out continuity and resistance. The pick-ups show reasonable resistance give or take 3/4 - + Ohms.

The only thing I can think of if I've been overzealous with the grounding into one terminal but I tested each grounding point for continuity and suffice to say there's a connection.

Thank you for your time and hopefully I can finally resolve this problem

Psyoletic
Last edited by Psyoletic at Jan 17, 2014,
A scratchy pot usually means a dirty or bad pot. Or maybe a bad solder joint.

I think you said that was a new pot but my statement remains. I'm not a wiring expert though.

If you still do not find resolution try in here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I think you said that was a new pot but my statement remains. I'm not a wiring expert though.

I'll have to rip one out of my other guitar's and give that a try. I have done a multimeter test and the resistance was 440 Omhs so not great to start with considering it should be a 500k pot.

I've made sure all solder joins are shiny and applied some pulling to each join to make sure they're good joins.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Looks like you grounded the signal wire at the 3 way. Look at the center lug on the 3 way- you have it grounded at a pot. It should go to the input jack.

The back single lug of your 3 way should be grounded. You have it run to your volume.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I am thinking R45VT is right. You have ground and hot swapped on the switch.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by R45VT
Looks like you grounded the signal wire at the 3 way. Look at the center lug on the 3 way- you have it grounded at a pot. It should go to the input jack.

The back single lug of your 3 way should be grounded. You have it run to your volume.

Quote by ryanbwags
I am thinking R45VT is right. You have ground and hot swapped on the switch.

Well I'll be damned, it works thanks to your beady eyes! Switched the wires and boom I hear the beautiful twang of de tuned strings.

If I better understood electronics in general I guess I could of avoided it but I followed this as my guide.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_3w

Thanks again!! Really appreciate it!

Psyoletic
Glad you got it fixed. We've all fudged a wiring job once or twice.

Part of the learning process.

And always happy to help a fellow Jackson player.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
ug worked?

i mean: UG WORKS!!!

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Just to mention I did try a working volume pot from another guitar and still no avail, but thanks for the idea!

Quote by R45VT
Glad you got it fixed. We've all fudged a wiring job once or twice.

Part of the learning process.

And always happy to help a fellow Jackson player.

Aye and thanks, Jackson just feels at home to me. My first guitar was the BC. Rich Ironbird Platinum Series and it was great until I picked up my KE3 in a charity shop for £100 would you believe it! Considering Kelly's are somewhat scarce in my lands (UK) I just had to buy it.

I'm after another Kelly without a Floyd rose so I can down tune less painstakingly but there a bugger to find.

Quote by gumbilicious
ug worked?

i mean: UG WORKS!!!

I can't say I would know having only been here a few days.
Damn that is a score on a KE-3. We can't even find'em here for that price unless it's beat to hell and back.

Metal machines don't need a tone knob.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr