Okay, here's the deal:

I'm currently playing on my Ibanez S570 (25,5") using Elixir 10s in Eb-tuning, but I'll probably replace them with 11 cause they feel a little too loose (I've been using them for E standard before).

I'm planing to buy an Ibanez RG 7-string, same scale. I'd keep it in standard tuning (BEADGBE) and would probably use 10s.

So the question is: Would the tension of the strings on my 6-string guitar on Eb-tuning with gauge 11 be the same as the first 6 strings of the 7-string guitar using 10 gauge on standard tunig? More or less? To me it's a matter of comfort because I'd like to be able to switch between guitars and thus between tunings without having to get used to a different tension again.

I've been trying to figure out myself using string tension charts and calculators, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Jan 17, 2014,
Your fingers are much more sensitive than mine. If never notice a difference over half a step. I use 10s for E standard and 11s for C standard
11s for C standard?
Maaaan that's loose!

Anyway, I think they will probably be pretty similar in feel, though using different string brands and series', it's kinda hard to say for sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Anyway, I think they will probably be pretty similar in feel, though using different string brands and series', it's kinda hard to say for sure.

Well, I'll be probably using Elixir Nano Webs, as I usually do. I already checked on Thomann, and they have them as both 10s and 11s for 6-strings and 10s for 7-strings.

Quote by Tantamount

Now that's EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thanks a lot! *adds to favourites*

Edit: Just checked it out, the values are pretty much identical, with differences less than 0,5kg (1lbs). Problem solved! Thanks again everyone!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Jan 17, 2014,