Kustom 36 Coupe! Picked it up at a local pawn shop for 175.

I like it, but I think it needs new tubes. The tone is a little scratchy compared to what I've heard out of these before in music shops and in youtube demos, and I'm not getting as much sustain as I feel I should.

I think one of the preamp tubes has gone microphonic - I can hear a steady hissing noise when I'm not playing, and I'm not getting any smooth tube break-up; right now, it almost sounds like solid-state clipping.

Not a problem though, just gotta buy some new tubes! What tubes do you guys recommend for this amp?

Also, biasing...I think this amp requires it. How do I do that? Should I just have a tech do it, or is it something I can accomplish with a little Googling?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I owned one just like that for a couple of years.

It's a great amp. I swapped the tubes to tung-sols and swapped the 6l6's for 5881's. Don't worry about biasing, it auto-basis's.

A great upgrade for the amp is to switch out the speaker to a C-Rex. The C-Rex smooths out the top end, and add a tight low end. I highly recommend it. Cost me $85.

Congrats, and enjoy!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Sweet. Never played one before. Have fun finding out which tubes are the best for your flavor.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Congrats on your amp

You should add a bit more of a review if you can (to keep within the rules)

I don't think you need to manually bias this amp but let me see what I can find.

As far as 'scratchiness' and the other things you mentioned, I'd lean more toward preamp tubes. I'd buy one or two JJ 12AX7s and maybe a JAN 5751 and 'tube roll' them through.

Here - see if this helps:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1352912.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+you+bias+a+Kuston+Coupe+36%3F&oq=how+do+you+bias+a+Kuston+Coupe+36%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.11074j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Edit: Or - what red.guitar said
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 17, 2014,
Quote by red.guitar
I owned one just like that for a couple of years.

It's a great amp. I swapped the tubes to tung-sols and swapped the 6l6's for 5881's. Don't worry about biasing, it auto-basis's.

A great upgrade for the amp is to switch out the speaker to a C-Rex. The C-Rex smooths out the top end, and add a tight low end. I highly recommend it. Cost me $85.

Congrats, and enjoy!

Thanks for in the info, I was really hoping it was an auto-bias amp.

And I also thought about the speaker...after poking around in it, the one in it seems/looks/sounds really low-grade, even besides the obvious degradation that's happened over the years.

I actually just "borrowed" the 12AX7's out of my roommate's broken-down Valveking. These tubes are probably 2+ years old, but the amp is still sounding much better; a ton less fizzy, and the buzzing is gone.

I'd still like for it to sound a little more tight though. The only other tube amp I've owned was a B-52 AT-112, which was basically a mesa clone, and I remember it being much less "sloppy" than this amp.

Like an idiot, I sold that amp. Still haven't forgave myself.

Either way, this Kustom was a steal at $175.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Thanks for in the info, I was really hoping it was an auto-bias amp.

And I also thought about the speaker...after poking around in it, the one in it seems/looks/sounds really low-grade, even besides the obvious degradation that's happened over the years.

I actually just "borrowed" the 12AX7's out of my roommate's broken-down Valveking. These tubes are probably 2+ years old, but the amp is still sounding much better; a ton less fizzy, and the buzzing is gone.

I'd still like for it to sound a little more tight though. The only other tube amp I've owned was a B-52 AT-112, which was basically a mesa clone, and I remember it being much less "sloppy" than this amp.

Like an idiot, I sold that amp. Still haven't forgave myself.

Either way, this Kustom was a steal at $175.

don't know why i like kustoms, but i do.

yeah, the speakers are a bit crappy in those things. i'd probably put something old in it, like a CTS squareback (that is one of the ones it used to come with way back in the day).

a eminence texas heat or legend should probably suit the amp very well. maybe even some kidna G12M variant like the creamback would go well with it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The best thing I ever done to that amp was add the C-Rex.

I found the C-Rex and the tugsols gave it a rhythm channel pretty similar to an older fender BF, while the lead channel had a pretty sold modern or vintage crunch (depending if you're using push or pull on the V knob).

I think it comes stock with some pretty low grade Russian tubes (maybe EH for the preamps?). That's how they save cost, by putting cheap tubes and speakers in. I know I ended up replacing mine within a year. I've tired JJ, tungsol, Chinese, Ruby, and EH in that amp, and I would say that the tungsols were by far the best, with the EH being the runner up. I found the JJ muddied the tone up.

I somewhat regret trading mine, but if they're going for $175 these days, I'm glad I got rid of it. I just sold mine 6ish months ago for $600 I bought it brand new in 2006/7 for $1050 I believe.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jan 18, 2014,
Nice

I really liked the one I tried
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by red.guitar
The best thing I ever done to that amp was add the C-Rex.

I found the C-Rex and the tugsols gave it a rhythm channel pretty similar to an older fender BF, while the lead channel had a pretty sold modern or vintage crunch (depending if you're using push or pull on the V knob).

I think it comes stock with some pretty low grade Russian tubes (maybe EH for the preamps?). That's how they save cost, by putting cheap tubes and speakers in. I know I ended up replacing mine within a year. I've tired JJ, tungsol, Chinese, Ruby, and EH in that amp, and I would say that the tungsols were by far the best, with the EH being the runner up. I found the JJ muddied the tone up.

I somewhat regret trading mine, but if they're going for $175 these days, I'm glad I got rid of it. I just sold mine 6ish months ago for $600 I bought it brand new in 2006/7 for $1050 I believe.

I definitely plan on replacing the speaker soon...the amp sounds pretty good now but I can hear the stock speaker holding it back. When playing licks on the high strings past the 7-8th fret on my guitar, I'm getting "ice-pick" highs, and I'm pretty sure it's a combination of old tubes and that beat-up "GreatValue" speaker.

I'm going acoustic shopping on Wednesday; will local music shops have replacement tubes? I imagine the selection might be a little thin and the price won't be ideal, but I'd like to get em' swapped out as soon as possible.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
JJ
1 - Tung Sol
1 - JAN 5751

on line

dont buy from store

www.dougstubes.com
www.eurotubes.com (in Oregon I think)
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.hotroxuk.com (in uk)
www.watfordvalves.com (in uk)