So i have this 90' gibson les paul studio that ive owned for a very long time, love the guitar, so anyways im a big metal head so a few years back i bought a set of SD black outs and swapped in for the stock humbuckers in the les paul. thought to myself well i'll never need these again so ill sell them. well shit. now i want to convert my les paul back to a passive pick up'ed more "rock" or "punk" sound if you will than metal. SO what are good replacements for the stock gibson buckers or am i better off just hunting down a set of stock ones and putting them in there? will most likely pick up a shitty 6 string and throw the black outs in there just so i have something nice to dick around with in higher tunings than my 7 string(s). looking to do some random jams with some people maybe taking it to open mic possibly doing covers for money type deal…somethings gotta support the habits
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
The studios have always used the ceramic pickups, 490s. If you liked them, you can certainly buy them. Theres about a hundred different pickups you could buy from many companies depending on what you want, if you not set on the exact same. Gibson pickups are maybe a bit overpriced, and like most things id consider looking for a used pair in good condition.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I'm guessing you had the 498t and 490r set (which are alnico V and II, not ceramic). I wouldn't buy them unless you found a good deal used. They are way overpriced new compared to SD and DiMarzio. If you liked them and can find them cheap go for it.
yeah i was thinking ill just go used i suppose i could try out some different combos too. i was thinking about just keeping it all gibson and stock thanks tho!
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w