I'm looking to get a telecaster but I'm not sure what model to pick.

I play northern soul, ska, punk etc but most noteable bands would be The Who, Tame Impala, Grinderman, Red hot chili peppers.

My hands are quite small and used to playing a mexican 2009 stratocaster.

With all that in mind, what would be best value for money? Maximum budget of 600 pound but comfortable at 500, really.
Maybe a used USA with a bit more money, but really your budget is in new Mexican territory.

You could get a used one and then get some other stuff.
Try a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster. Incredible guitars, i prefer them to the Fender MIM ones.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by nmcintyre2
Baja telecaster is great but has a large neck

+1
can't recommend this guitar enough.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Hi
I owned a Baja Telecaster last year and was forced to sell it.
Now i'm trying to sell my Squier to go straight back and buy another Baja - they are absolutely brilliant. Simply the best Fender I have ever played, on and off stage.
Yes the neck takes a day or two to get used to but you do and it becomes second nature. The pickups are full of life and tone, especially the 'Broadcaster' Bridge pickup which, through a valve amp gives plenty of guts for rock tones.
I would choose this model over ANY other including all the USA and Custom Shop models.
If you can persuade a guitar shop to let you demo one through a good amp for longer than 30 minutes, you will see what i'm getting at.
Fender's best kept secret.
Hope this helps.
G&l Asat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Backtrackin'
Hi
I owned a Baja Telecaster last year and was forced to sell it.
Now i'm trying to sell my Squier to go straight back and buy another Baja - they are absolutely brilliant. Simply the best Fender I have ever played, on and off stage.
Yes the neck takes a day or two to get used to but you do and it becomes second nature. The pickups are full of life and tone, especially the 'Broadcaster' Bridge pickup which, through a valve amp gives plenty of guts for rock tones.
I would choose this model over ANY other including all the USA and Custom Shop models.
If you can persuade a guitar shop to let you demo one through a good amp for longer than 30 minutes, you will see what i'm getting at.
Fender's best kept secret.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like you work for Fender dude.
I'll take a look at the specs and some demos of it again.
I have very small hands and I'm not a good guitar player but I do own a Baja. Backtrackin is right in my uneducated opinion. Something about that guitar and the neck on it. Yes, it is bigger but it feels right. It sounds amazing even though I can't play well. You'd be wrong to bypass at least playing one. I'll never get rid of it regardless if I continue learning or not. It's a sweet telecaster!
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
Sounds like you work for Fender dude.
I'll take a look at the specs and some demos of it again.

Ha Ha, (God I wish.....)

No I am a truck driver but I do really mean it about the Baja.
I won't be able to afford one for a while now but it will always remain the best Telecaster I ever played.
I was running it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp at a jam session one night with no effects in front of the amp and it felt and sounded great.
I have big hands so the relatively big V neck fits me quite well and I can see how it won't suit some people but I found I can hang my thumb off the V and gave me a really solid grip while reaching for notes playing lead breaks etc.
I found the S1 switching a waste of time though and never used it. If I ever do get another one its the only thing I would change by having it wired 'Out' and a normal 3 way switch installed but each to their own.
The only Tele I can recommend is the Blacktop, because I've been playing it for years. I have PRS pups in it, and I pup 500k coil taps in it, very versatile. Great sound, great feel, pretty light, and it's my go to guitar
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I just came home from the local guitar shop. I have traded my squire standard telecaster in on a Fender Modern player Telecaster. Whilst I still maintain the Baja is the best Telecaster I've ever played and would love to own one again, I just don't have enough to buy one yet and I have desperately wanted something better than my squire for quite some time. I quit my job as a truck driver last week and this Friday I get all my extra pay in respect of holidays not taken etc, so with the trade in and what I have as spare cash, I could afford the modern player, which retails here in the UK for around half the price of the Baja.
It's colour is called Honey Burst but I found it looked very different in direct light than it did hanging on the wall and the colour is actually really nice. The neck is a modern C shape and a dark vintage style gloss lacquer which has always been my favourite.
Its combination of a bridge Humbucker and 2 single coils makes it very versatile and the Humbucker is coil tapped so it's easy to flick straight to a traditional Telecaster bridge pickup sound. I found it good to be able to get 'Strat' sounds out of it with the 5 way switch and I have to be honest, the rock tones using that Humbucker are a welcome addition to a Telecaster. It's looks, with having 3 pickups, took a little getting used to but it didn't take long playing it to see how it just makes a lot of sense, especially as a working gig guitar.
Had you asked me about it before I went into the shop I would have said it's not for me but once playing it I felt instantly comfortable with it and quite surprised myself, having always preferred the more traditional styles and colours. This one has a 'Belly Contour' which is something else I've never experienced on a Telecaster before but again, it was a pleasant surprise and felt totally natural after a few minutes.
The quality of build is excellent, especially the finish on the body and neck. The vintage style tuners behaved very well indeed going between DADGAD and standard tuning quickly and easily and straight off the wall it played with a very nice low-ish action, no sharp frets (In fact they are finished as good as any USA model) and all the hardware on the body is set and fixed perfectly with no errant screws or badly finished edges.
For the price tag of £364, I couldn't really ask for more and i'm really pleased to have a decent guitar that I can appreciate owning and gig with some confidence.
I am picking it up on Friday when my pay clears in the bank and after polishing the lacquer off the frets (EVERY fender needs this from new) and fitting my favourite 'Nanoweb Elixir 10 gauge strings), I will be spending the weekend coming playing it as much as I can before my fingers bleed.
I will post again next week with a 'New Guitar Day' thread to give a more detailed review of how it is and how it plays once I've got it and if I can get some studio time in the next week or two, I will try to make a video to post with it.
All I can say is go and try one. I was sure I wouldn't like that kind of Telecaster until I tried it and then fell in Love.
Love can be strange sometimes !
Quote by Robbgnarly
G&l Asat

Yup.

I've had 3 different G&L ASATs from the Tribute Series. You can get any one of them used under $400, mostly of them going for $300. They're very close to the quality of a lot of mid-range Fender Japan guitars I've played, and I'm a huge believer in the line.

Check out the line, man. There's tons of stuff on ebay as the market for these is getting bigger as people realize how great they are. They're made in the same factory that the custom Cort guitars are, so quality is high.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Classic_new/index.asp
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Classic_BBSH_new/index.asp
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/WR_signature/index.asp
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_Classic_BB_new/index.asp
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
JustRooster & Mephaphil probably know what I'm going to suggest.

Try a Reverend. I think a Buckshot, Charger, Club King (without the Bigsby), or Flatroc would be in your price range, suit your needs, and would fit your hands. They're not Telecasters, but they're based on them.

(The Double Agent would also be a good option.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster & Mephaphil probably know what I'm going to suggest.

Try a Reverend. I think a Buckshot, Charger, Club King (without the Bigsby), or Flatroc would be in your price range, suit your needs, and would fit your hands. They're not Telecasters, but they're based on them.

(The Double Agent would also be a good option.)

These actually look pretty nice.

I still haven't bought a guitar, but will definitely be needing one by April.
If you need a guitar soon, you can always pull the tried-and-true technique of going into a random guitar store, trying every single MIM Telecaster in the entire store, finding the one that best suits you, pretending to hate it (so you can talk the guy down) and then walk out with your new guitar!

My buddy got a heavily-modded MIM strat and seems happy with it. For the used price (in America, at least) they can't be beat. Or can't be beat very often, I should say.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not fender modern profile necks work for you. If you have small hands, then probably. I have large hands and find modern slim necks obnoxious to try to play. Gimmie a soft v any day.
Quote by samuraigoomba
If you need a guitar soon, you can always pull the tried-and-true technique of going into a random guitar store, trying every single MIM Telecaster in the entire store, finding the one that best suits you, pretending to hate it (so you can talk the guy down) and then walk out with your new guitar!

My buddy got a heavily-modded MIM strat and seems happy with it. For the used price (in America, at least) they can't be beat. Or can't be beat very often, I should say.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not fender modern profile necks work for you. If you have small hands, then probably. I have large hands and find modern slim necks obnoxious to try to play. Gimmie a soft v any day.

Ah I've tried this, people usually cotton on and begin to covertly encourage you to leave after a while

I think I'd rather go for the Baja now in honesty, i think I'll get used to the neck on it, and by the way people are talking about it on here it must be a nice guitar.
It's just a case of patience I guess.