Hi guys,

A few years back I sold most of my equipment due to the fact that i had lost interest in playing guitar and needed some quick cash. Recently I decided to to join in a studio/recording project (starting in a few months). I will have to buy: a new guitar, a ME unit (not for recording, just for playing) and a usb interface that will work with mac. The recording will all be done digitally, so no amp and/or mice advice needed. Genre will be progressive rock, post rock, experimental stuff (think tool, coheed and cambria, dream theater, mars volta, cult of luna, baroness, mastodon,...).

Guitar: thinking about spending about 350eu (used).
options:

- charvel model 4
- ibanez RG350 dxz
- esp/ltd mh-201
- Gibson the paul (about 150eu more expensive)
- epiphone firebird VII (also 150eu more expensive)

ME- unit (would like to spend about 150eu (used))
options:

- boss ME-50
- boss GT-8
- line 6 pod live

usb interface: I don't know a lot about these, so all suggestions are welcome, was looking to spend about 150eu on this.

Please share your thoughts and experience with all gear mentioned above. New/used alternative suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks for helping!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_The_Paul

brief but interesting. i am kind of wanting to play one now... lol.

charvels are great guitars, i am unfamiliar with them in general to a certain degree. MIJ only though IMO.

i would skip the ibby. shitty trem. don't stay in tune due to excessively quick wear and then you don't stay in tune.

i don't like the minibuckers that are like in the firebird, but i am not sure if all models have it.

no idea on the ltd.

they are all pretty different.

for MFX, get the best PODHD you can.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For interfaces, go to the recordings forum and read the interfaces sticky.

For effects, you should also consider a Zoom G5.

I'd choose the Gibson out of those guitars.

You may also find a Peavey Vypyr Tube would be a good investment.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

i second the gibson

not a zoom fan in general myself, but gary knows his tone so i will yield that to him.

vypyr tube could also be a good thing
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for replying,

Will look into the gibson a little further, I used to own a gibson lp studio from the 90's. Bit afraid though it won't handle the genre/bands listed above, any opinions on this?

As for the ME, I already own a zoom MFX rack unit, so i'd really like something else this time. Why do you suggest the line 6 over the BOSS? The amp presets, effects,...?

Thanks for directing me to the interface sticky, really helpfull!
Quote by GaryBillington

Concerning the VYPYR tube: I still have a bugera 333XL head lying around. So I think i'll have this one re-tubed and buy myself a 1x12 cab and a tubescreamer (I remember I liked the crunch channel much more than the heavy one) when I have some more budget available.
On guitars: in the same price range as the Paul and the Firebird, you should be able to find a used Velocity (HSS) or Freeway SA (HSH) by Godin.

http://reverb.com/item/49839-godin-velocity-amber-flame?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CKSS_de5h7wCFXMV7AodRjUAeQ

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FreewaySABK/

Both are high quality, and should deliver most of the tones you want.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I thnnk the pod is pretty good for amp modelling, but if the main goal is effects then I'd go with boss.
Quote by hendrikvdst
Thanks for replying,

Will look into the gibson a little further, I used to own a gibson lp studio from the 90's. Bit afraid though it won't handle the genre/bands listed above, any opinions on this?

As for the ME, I already own a zoom MFX rack unit, so i'd really like something else this time. Why do you suggest the line 6 over the BOSS? The amp presets, effects,...?

Thanks for directing me to the interface sticky, really helpfull!

A Gibson will handle pretty much anything you need it to. It's an excellently versatile guitar.

I used a Boss ME50 for several years, it's great for delays & modulations, but it's not very good for OD & Distortion - I only liked about 2 of the options available. While I liked the fact it is primarily set up as 3 separate pedals, this can at times be a disadvantage if you needed to switch between different effects on the same pedal (i.e. from chorus to phase, or from one OD to another). This can be worked around by using the patch function, but the patches aren't that easy to manage and there is a very noticable lag when switching between them. The GT series is a slight upgrade, but you're still looking at older technology that other companies have improved upon.

Line 6 have been among the best multi effect manufacturers for a while now, so they're always a solid recommendation. Zoom were always a few steps behind, until they released their current range. They obviously decided they needed to catch up, and the G series (i.e. the G3 and above) is a serious contender to the Line 6 crown (the G1 & G2 should still be avoided, they are a hangover to Zoom's budget effects of the past).

It's also worth noting that the Boss ME50 is not an amp modeller. It's purely an effects pedal. I'm fairly sure the same goes for the GT series. The Line 6 & Zoom pedals both include amp modelling.

However, now I've said all that - you need to ask yourself if you really need it. You said you already have a rack mounted effect unit. You also said this is going to be a studio project. You're going to be getting an interface anyway. Maybe the answer could be to use software modelling for all your effects and amp models? There's another sticky thread in the recordings forum dedicated to these that is also worth reading if you go down the interface route for your recording needs.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 18, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
On guitars: in the same price range as the Paul and the Firebird, you should be able to find a used Velocity (HSS) or Freeway SA (HSH) by Godin.

http://reverb.com/item/49839-godin-velocity-amber-flame?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CKSS_de5h7wCFXMV7AodRjUAeQ

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FreewaySABK/

Both are high quality, and should deliver most of the tones you want.

Been looking into godin, the only ones I could find used are the:

- signature summit ct
- g series USA
- G4000 USA (specs about the same as the ones you listed)

Any thoughts on these? G4000 lookin' really nice
Quote by GaryBillington
A Gibson will handle pretty much anything you need it to. It's an excellently versatile guitar.

I used a Boss ME50 for several years, it's great for delays & modulations, but it's not very good for OD & Distortion - I only liked about 2 of the options available. While I liked the fact it is primarily set up as 3 separate pedals, this can at times be a disadvantage if you needed to switch between different effects on the same pedal (i.e. from chorus to phase, or from one OD to another). This can be worked around by using the patch function, but the patches aren't that easy to manage and there is a very noticable lag when switching between them. The GT series is a slight upgrade, but you're still looking at older technology that other companies have improved upon.

Line 6 have been among the best multi effect manufacturers for a while now, so they're always a solid recommendation. Zoom were always a few steps behind, until they released their current range. They obviously decided they needed to catch up, and the G series (i.e. the G3 and above) is a serious contender to the Line 6 crown (the G1 & G2 should still be avoided, they are a hangover to Zoom's budget effects of the past).

It's also worth noting that the Boss ME50 is not an amp modeller. It's purely an effects pedal. I'm fairly sure the same goes for the GT series. The Line 6 & Zoom pedals both include amp modelling.

However, now I've said all that - you need to ask yourself if you really need it. You said you already have a rack mounted effect unit. You also said this is going to be a studio project. You're going to be getting an interface anyway. Maybe the answer could be to use software modelling for all your effects and amp models? There's another sticky thread in the recordings forum dedicated to these that is also worth reading if you go down the interface route for your recording needs.

Well, I would use it mostly for the amp moddeling features. I'd use it to play with headphones or via monitors, since I won't always have the mac around (my brother also uses it to produce DnB and house music). So the line 6 should be the best option?
Quote by hendrikvdst
Well, I would use it mostly for the amp moddeling features. I'd use it to play with headphones or via monitors, since I won't always have the mac around (my brother also uses it to produce DnB and house music). So the line 6 should be the best option?

That definitely means you don't want the Boss.

Line 6 or Zoom are pretty even, personally I prefer the Zoom but a lot of people think the other way.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by hendrikvdst
Been looking into godin, the only ones I could find used are the:

- signature summit ct
- g series USA
- G4000 USA (specs about the same as the ones you listed)

Any thoughts on these? G4000 lookin' really nice

The G4000 USA and Summit CT should be just fine if you see one you like. You might also look for an xtSA.

Also, try looking for used Godins found in North American stores, because I know some of those retailers DO ship internationally. And I did see some the other night- I just used those particular links because they showed the specs, which most of the used ones had no such data.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The G4000 USA and Summit CT should be just fine if you see one you like. You might also look for an xtSA.

Also, try looking for used Godins found in North American stores, because I know some of those retailers DO ship internationally. And I did see some the other night- I just used those particular links because they showed the specs, which most of the used ones had no such data.

I'll have a look, thanks, but think it's a bit of a gamble to have it sent all the way here (I'm from Belgium), if they decide to put import tax on it, I'll be looking at a few hundreds of euros extra.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Just a quick note to add to this: If you import from a country outside the EU, check your countries laws on import taxes. They can sometimes mean a bargain ends up costing you more than if you'd just paid your own countries prices.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Here's another vote for the Pod HD. You might consider getting the bean model (the non-"X" version is currently going for around $199 at a few places here in the states since the "X" model is either here or around the corner). It's very compact, and can sit on your desk; sort of easier to use; if you don't need a foot pedal all the time, it's a great choice. You can always add a separate foot pedal if you start running live. If you can find one of the old XT or X3 versions for $80-100, you're also doing well.

You might want to take a peek at one of the Variax JTV-89s; they were being run out at pretty decent prices (around $899) for a while; I think Line 6 wanted retailers to dump then-current stock in order to make room for the JTV-89F (Floyd-loaded model, non-reverse headstock). The 89 will take the newer HD models (via firmware update) and can be used with the whole Workbench software thing. It's got 24 jumbo frets, a 16" radius fretboard and some pretty decent pickups, so it's a good guitar in its own right.
True, true.