now i went through some stuff and found my old strat (1995 MIM, the one i have now is great. i need a second.

so now i am wanting another strat.

i am not totally sure if i am going to start looking seriously or casually.

WHAT? Fender (only). not squier. yes i know some of their guitars a decent. but NO. no to G&L. it didn't fit me right.
WHERE? FL Tampa Bay region
ALSO... i will not buy what i cannot play in person unless GC has a perfect one on their used inventory i can return.
BUDGET? ideally $<700 age doesn't matter
WHAT ELSE? the flatter common fretboard (IIRC 9.5"?) not the 7" or whatever
ALSO: ONLY MIA or MIJ
FRETBAORD: ideally maple, this is not a firm thing.
USED. USED.

i am more looking at models that would fit my liking, i play in stores all the time, but i want to go in there with a little more direction. i don't like going trough a dozen guitars, mainly a few.

something i may decide to sway on certain specs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
well at that price point you are kinda limited. American Standard or one of the Highway 1 models. Japanese are nice but not really available to you locally for playing unless you luck out. you may want to see is any Strat Plus's are around as they can be had for around the money you want to spend. what sound are you after?
Not ignoring your "Fender only" post, but did you ever try the Godins?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think an American Standard is your best bet. I know you specifically said you needed a USA made Fender, but have you tried the Classic Player Fenders? (MIM) A lot of people love these, might be worth a try.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I think an American Standard is your best bet. I know you specifically said you needed a USA made Fender, but have you tried the Classic Player Fenders? (MIM) A lot of people love these, might be worth a try.

actually a valid idea worth investigating.
i am wanting american. maybe price range can go up. i have seen used MIA STD strats for as low as $500, i almost bit at an HW1 for $450 but thought about it overnight and it was gone in the morning. i do like the HWY1's i have played.

as far as MIA standards, what year range should i be looking at? i know they have changed a lot in he last even as short as five years. price new changed a few times IIRC.

is japanese a dead cause? i don't mind age on guitars, just as long as the frets are good or a quality refret has been performed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by monwobobbo
actually a valid idea worth investigating.

i will check them out.

i will look this up, but what seperates them from the MIM std's.?

i will likely change pickups and if i feel i want to change aesthetics if i want to (nothing permanent)

does it go beyond the MIM's in a huge way or just a bit?

but IMO i would have no problem throwing another hundred for a quality MIA over an MIM, but i will give them a shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i will check them out.

i will look this up, but what seperates them from the MIM std's.?

i will likely change pickups and if i feel i want to change aesthetics if i want to (nothing permanent)

does it go beyond the MIM's in a huge way or just a bit?

but IMO i would have no problem throwing another hundred for a quality MIA over an MIM, but i will give them a shot.

The ones I've played have felt great, way better than any MIM I've tried. Sounded a great deal better aswell. The Classic Player 50's, which would have the maple neck you'd like, has:

A V-Neck as opposed to the C-Shape on a MIM
Pickups are vintage-style ones, sounded pretty awesome.
2-point trem instead of a six-point on a MIM, which will improve tuning stability if you float the trem

Aside from that, the fit and finish just seemed better than most MIM.

If you are going for a used MIA standard, try getting on that's made post-2008. They improved the bridge block, saddles and finish at that time.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am wanting american. maybe price range can go up. i have seen used MIA STD strats for as low as $500, i almost bit at an HW1 for $450 but thought about it overnight and it was gone in the morning. i do like the HWY1's i have played.

as far as MIA standards, what year range should i be looking at? i know they have changed a lot in he last even as short as five years. price new changed a few times IIRC.

is japanese a dead cause? i don't mind age on guitars, just as long as the frets are good or a quality refret has been performed.

MIA standards from 1986 (some will have 1984 serial # despite being 86) on have the 9.5" radius and the 2 point trem. even many of the reissue guitars have 9.5 radius but you would have to do your homework on them as some don't and have total vintage spec. honestly there really haven't been all that many changes in the standard since 86. the deluxe version has had a few changes though.

Fender Japan is still making guitars for the Asian market but finding them in the US isn't that easy and since you said you want to be able to try out the guitars would be a matter of luck as they aren't that common. you can run into some mid 80s Japanese strats on the used market but once again that involves luck. the onews with the locking trem are less desirable (not because of quality but because of tradition and the difficulty of getting replacement parts for trem).

there are some better quality MIM made strats as well. the roadworn series gets good reviews (if you like the relic look) and a few of their signature series guitars are made their as well Jjimmy Vaughn, Ritchie Blackmore.

the thing about strats I think is that you do have to take some time and play a few to find one that is perfect for you.
Quote by constructbot
The ones I've played have felt great, way better than any MIM I've tried. Sounded a great deal better aswell. The Classic Player 50's, which would have the maple neck you'd like, has:

A V-Neck as opposed to the C-Shape on a MIM
Pickups are vintage-style ones, sounded pretty awesome.
2-point trem instead of a six-point on a MIM, which will improve tuning stability if you float the trem

Aside from that, the fit and finish just seemed better than most MIM.

If you are going for a used MIA standard, try getting on that's made post-2008. They improved the bridge block, saddles and finish at that time.

thanks for the info and details. i am not a v neck kind of guy, but i am open to trying one. for that sake i would have to play it first

thanks for the post '08 info, that is one of the things that i was wanting to learn from this thread.

i appreciate the help.

________

another question, are any of them nitro? or does fender just do that with custom shop?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by monwobobbo
MIA standards from 1986 (some will have 1984 serial # despite being 86) on have the 9.5" radius and the 2 point trem. even many of the reissue guitars have 9.5 radius but you would have to do your homework on them as some don't and have total vintage spec. honestly there really haven't been all that many changes in the standard since 86. the deluxe version has had a few changes though.

Fender Japan is still making guitars for the Asian market but finding them in the US isn't that easy and since you said you want to be able to try out the guitars would be a matter of luck as they aren't that common. you can run into some mid 80s Japanese strats on the used market but once again that involves luck. the onews with the locking trem are less desirable (not because of quality but because of tradition and the difficulty of getting replacement parts for trem).

there are some better quality MIM made strats as well. the roadworn series gets good reviews (if you like the relic look) and a few of their signature series guitars are made their as well Jjimmy Vaughn, Ritchie Blackmore.

the thing about strats I think is that you do have to take some time and play a few to find one that is perfect for you.

thanks for the info. i realize that it is a go out and play what you see, sometimes i do it other times i don't, but with this i will.

i am trying to narrow the selection down, so i know a little more of what difference in models.

MIJ wasn't a big deal, i hear they are great, but i would have to play it. i have seen a few pop up in the area in the last six months or so. i am pretty sure they were overpriced.

my craigslist is terrible with people wanting too much for their gear. i saw a block letter 5150 for $1000 some are decent but it is ridiculous. used to be a lot better. now if its something i would consider on the phone i pre-haggle so i don't waste my time. further haggling after is a must as well once you have seen it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

another question, are any of them nitro? or does fender just do that with custom shop?

The Classic Series are available in nitro for an upcharge, but these have 7.25'' radii. Same deal with the Roadworn series and the American Vintage Strats. The Eric Johnson signature (12'' radius) is finished in nitro, and is often compared to the Custom Shop by people who have tried them. I have not however, so I can't compare it to Custom Shop quality. I'm not sure you'll be able to find one in your price range, but if you do, definitely check it out as it seems to be one of the best factory model guitars Fender is making these days.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
The Classic Series are available in nitro for an upcharge, but these have 7.25'' radii. Same deal with the Roadworn series and the American Vintage Strats. The Eric Johnson signature (12'' radius) is finished in nitro, and is often compared to the Custom Shop by people who have tried them. I have not however, so I can't compare it to Custom Shop quality. I'm not sure you'll be able to find one in your price range, but if you do, definitely check it out as it seems to be one of the best factory model guitars Fender is making these days.

f*** the eric johnson sig seems about perfect, or as close as i can get. BUT, i don't want to spend that much.

roadworn are MIIM, correct? if nott i will be finding a used one. shouldn't be hard finding one in my range.

but if not i think i am going to get the post 1998 MIA STD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

Quote by trashedlostfdup
f*** the eric johnson sig seems about perfect, or as close as i can get. BUT, i don't want to spend that much.

roadworn are MIIM, correct? if nott i will be finding a used one. shouldn't be hard finding one in my range.

but if not i think i am going to get the post 1998 MIA STD.

The Roadworns are MIM indeed, but don't let that scare you. A few months ago I was shopping for a strat and the only thing that was exponentially better was the Custom Shop Strat I came home with. Absolutely loved the Roadworn.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
note on the Nitro subject. Fender usually just has a thin overcoat of nitro on the guitar. only at the Custom Shop level can you get a total nitro finish (fender has always had an non nitro undercoat though).
Quote by monwobobbo
note on the Nitro subject. Fender usually just has a thin overcoat of nitro on the guitar. only at the Custom Shop level can you get a total nitro finish (fender has always had an non nitro undercoat though).

i remember reading it now that you mentioned it. nitro isn't a huge deal anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Also, the later Highway 1s are finished in Nitro, as well.

Anyways, there is also the American Special; a MIA guitar that's got similar specifications to the MIM standard.

Also, if you're looking at the higher end MIMs, there's the Classic Player's 60s Strat. It's got the 2 point trem, a "C" neck shape and a 12" Fretboard Radius, plus the upgrade pickups of the Classic Player's series. It loses the nitro finish of the HWY1/Road Worn/Classic Series Lacquer Strats, though.

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/classic-player-60s-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-sonic-blue/
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Also, the later Highway 1s are finished in Nitro, as well.

Anyways, there is also the American Special; a MIA guitar that's got similar specifications to the MIM standard.

Also, if you're looking at the higher end MIMs, there's the Classic Player's 60s Strat. It's got the 2 point trem, a "C" neck shape and a 12" Fretboard Radius, plus the upgrade pickups of the Classic Player's series. It loses the nitro finish of the HWY1/Road Worn/Classic Series Lacquer Strats, though.

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/classic-player-60s-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-sonic-blue/

the HW1's have a thin layer of nitro applied over a poly coat and isn't a true nitro finish like a Gibson has. while the top coat will age it won't age like a guitar with a full nitro finish.
I just ordered an 1970s reissue strat in Olympic white (maple fretboard)

http://www.fender.com/series/classic/classic-series-70s-stratocaster-maple-fingerboard-olympic-white/

I tried too many guitars to mention, before picking this up and deciding to buy it (even before playing it, let alone plugging it in). It felt perfect in my hands, as if it were an extension of my body.

My advice, play as many as you can until you find the one that feels right
Trashed, as a man who's owned a million different Strats, I'll tell you this: If you want to buy a used one to hot rod or have as a second, I wouldn't worry about American or Mexican. The most important thing is to simply play every Strat you can until you find the one that fits. Every single one will be different. The Americans, 90% will be better, sure. Every once and again there's a Mexican that they accidentally make just fantastic, because the neck pockets just married well.

Use the extra cash to put N3's or Fat 50's in them if you like the MIA sound. Or 500k pots with Samarium Cobalts if you want a semi-super strat.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Ok, I know this is waaay outside the box from what you're looking at, but...

Have you ever considered going custom? I wanted some pretty specific stuff and ended up ordering a full kit from MJT. It's not in yet so I can't give a review, but I've heard nothing but good things and figured it was worth a shot.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by JustRooster
Trashed, as a man who's owned a million different Strats, I'll tell you this: If you want to buy a used one to hot rod or have as a second, I wouldn't worry about American or Mexican. The most important thing is to simply play every Strat you can until you find the one that fits. Every single one will be different. The Americans, 90% will be better, sure. Every once and again there's a Mexican that they accidentally make just fantastic, because the neck pockets just married well.

Use the extra cash to put N3's or Fat 50's in them if you like the MIA sound. Or 500k pots with Samarium Cobalts if you want a semi-super strat.

solid suggestion and very true. my mexi-strat was bought as a back up to my strat plus deluxe and honestly plays and sounds just as good (granted it has been modded to have similar features). strats are a very individual kind of guitar and the right one will reward you regardless of maker. I find that they make me try harder to play but when the playing is good the music is just awesome.
thank you very much, honestly appreciate it.

all i am looking around at this point. i have learned a lot from this thread. now i can kind of go to look at a used one without wasting time of me and a seller with me expecting different.

i am going to be patient. either post 2008 std. or a roadworn or premium lecel MIM

rooster, i have gone through a ton. i found cheap ones, spend about two hours on them and and made $50-$120 with no investment other than time. clean and properly tread the fretboard, polish the frets. go over the whole body with an EXTREMELY fine rubbing compound, polished the metal. and a set up. i held on to one or two for a few months, but when i got the one from my friend, i ditched the others. then it sat for a few years with no interest. i always have preferred the 1994-some time in the later ninety MIM's. but that could be a mojo type thing.

but this time i don't want to flip i want a long term relationship with it.

AgelessStranger - congrats, i will try one of those. my MIM is white with maple too. mine has aged quite a bit, thats the best part. but yours will too

i don't want custom. resale value is shit and i don't know of anybody who can build and have the quallity i can get used from a store or CL.

i will keep you posted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i don't want custom. resale value is shit and i don't know of anybody who can build and have the quallity i can get used from a store or CL.

Really depends on the builder. I saw a used Jon Kammerer in my local GC about 18 months ago for $1000, of a kind I own. Currently, new ones of the same kind- the chambered Scorpius (formerly known as a Model 10), which is a very ergonomic doublecut - are going for $1500, which is up a couple hundred from when I bought mine.*

And they're very good- standard features include:

Satin or Gloss finish
24 fret fret board
Blind set frets slots
Multiple pickup configurations with single coils, humbuckers, or P-90's
Case included
Limited lifetime warranty
Your choice of Hard Maple, Soft Flame maple, Walnut, or Cherry for the body.
Gold, Chrome, or Black Hardware

I almost bought a HSS Leo (which is his take on a classic Strat) when he had a sale on, but I decided on one of his Dorado (Teleclone) prototypes...

I'm not saying a JKG is for you. What I am saying, though, is that there are a horde of small American luthieries out there that may tick off every box on your checklist.

* F.Y.I., just looked after making this post: GC has one right now that was probably a little over his usual $1500 price new because of the extra woodwork, and Reverb has a couple listings for the very same kind I own.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JON-KAMMERER-SCORPIUS-CST-ELEC-GTR-CHERRY-NC-109702365-i3568558.gc

http://reverb.com/item/19790-jon-kammerer-model-10-2hng-custom-boutique-guitar-usa-cherry-wood-parabolic-body-maple-neck

http://reverb.com/item/34815-jon-kammerer-model-10-2hng

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 22, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster

Well put. And if the plan is to perform a number of mods on the guitar, then I think MIM is probably your best route.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I'd like to get a second Strat that's loaded with some hotter pickups than the Texas Specials in my American Special (looking into either Injectors or the YJM Fury).

My guitar tech and good friend recommended I look for an MIM Strat from 2003 or later, and if fret size is a sticking point, you might want to do the same. The way it was explained to me, many of the pre-'03 MIMs have smaller, more vintage sized frets. Sometime around '03, Fender started using Medium-Jumbo frets for MIMs.

There's an easy way to spot the difference, too. The pre-MJ fret MIMs will have the serial number on the front of the headstock. The MIM's with MJ frets will have the serial number on the back.

Maybe it's not as much of an issue for others, but I personally prefer the bigger frets.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.