I have an ltd ec-1000vb with stock seymour duncan '59 in the neck. When playing clean, there is a noticable tone, kind of like a phaser, which I can't dial out. I can't get a really bright, chimy tone like with a single coil. Am I just running into a limitation of the humbucker? My schecter omen-7 has a dimarzio paf7 which is a lot more clean and chimy than the sd, yet afaik the sd is duncans version of a paf, so I expect them to be a bit similar?

What would messing with the pole pieces do for the tone?
Last edited by innovine at Jan 18, 2014,
Its hard to know without hearing it exactly what you mean.

But humbuckers cant do everything singlecoils do and vice versa, and single coils generally do better at bright chimy tone and humbuckers more warm rounded tone.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Its hard to know without hearing it exactly what you mean.

But humbuckers cant do everything singlecoils do and vice versa, and single coils generally do better at bright chimy tone and humbuckers more warm rounded tone.

Yeah, I know, but I read somewhere that by changing the pole piece height, you make one coil stronger or weaker in relation to the other, so it should be possible to add more or less humbucking... I think I'll write down the number of turns I'm making so I can always get back to where I currently am ..
Poles are normally adjusted to even out the output from each individual string, a necessity (in my experience) on a guitar that is using jazz strings with a wound 3rd. The wound 3rd has a very small core relative to the size of the plain 2nd and the core of the 4th string. Consequently, I find the output of the wound 3rd very weak relative to the 2 next to it. Some people use a compressor to compensate, but with my jazz guitar, it was effective and easy to adjust the poles.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1