My current setup is a Peavey Valveking 112, and I run an ME-25 through that for all my effects. I like the sound, but max volume is about 1/8 of the way turned up, I only play in my house, and my only aspirations of gigging are maybe sitting in with my dad's Christian rock band from time to time. (He uses some 15 watt amp)

I went to the local guitar store and tried all of their modeling amps, I just couldn't get into the sound, so I want to stick with tubes. Does anyone have any experience with the Ibanez TSA15 stack? Or the Vox AC15VR? Those are basically what I've narrowed it down to... My max price is 400 dollars, I have no problem buying used, I have a replacement speaker ready to pop in (warehouse veteran 30) and I play the blues, classic rock, and metal (black/death/power/thrash, w/e...)
The Vox AC15VR is not actually a "tube amp". It has tubes, but it is a hybrid amp, that is half solid state, half valve amp. Nothing special and a bit of a marketing technique (I mean it fooled you didn't it ?). Not saying it is a bad amplifier though, but for 400 you could do better especially if you went used. Are you willing to buy a used amp?

And besides, you said you like the sound of your current set-up. What exactly do you wish to change? If it sounds good to you at 1/8 volume level, then there is nothing wrong with that. Who cares where the knobs are at! If it sounds good, it sounds good.
^ All of that.

Any time you need to practice completely silently, just get some headphones & plug them into your ME25.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The only reason to get a "bedroom" amp over a more powerful amp is to get power tube distortion. If you're happy with the sound you have now, then there is no point. I have a Valveking and play it in my bedroom too.

Just curious, do you use the Boss ME-25 for distortion or do you use the amps distortion? Do you plug the ME-25 into the effects return or into the normal inputs?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I used 100w valveking head in apartment building! The volume knob was sensitive as hell and barely at 1 before the volume jumps to too loud, but it sounded great in low settings and my neighbours did not complain. Global master volume would have been great but only for making things less sensitive and having bit more room for fine tuning the volume. Otherwise who cares where the volume knob is set?

Unless you are looking for upgrade? Short of modding the simplest and best upgrade you can do to your valveking is ignoring the built in gain boost (its a very poorly done solid state gain stage) and using overdrive pedal to boost the amp to high gain levels. And bridging the fx loop with patch cable if its not in use.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 18, 2014,
I've been using the ME-25 for distortion, running it directly into the input, nothing in the the effect loop. What do you guys do?
Amp distortion boosted with overdrive pedal like some cheap tubescreamer clone. The amp is capable of good distortion sounds with a little push. No need for dedicated distortion pedals other than for varietys sake or if you need insane amounts of gain. And as I said bridge the FX Loop with patch cable if you do not have EQ pedal or something in there. The empty FX Loop in this amp is a tone sucker for some reason.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 19, 2014,