Hello. i want to replace the speaker in my old amp. actualy my first amp. from the 90s. the speaker is 8 inch. what to look for? are anny 8 inch speakers good? for what should i be careful?
Quote by kitarmen
Hello. i want to replace the speaker in my old amp. actualy my first amp. from the 90s. the speaker is 8 inch. what to look for? are anny 8 inch speakers good? for what should i be careful?

what is the amp?

what is the speaker in the amp and what is the speaker's impedance?

the technical needs of the speaker would require an appropriate impedance and power handling, this will depend on the amps specs.

in general 8 inch speakers are considered sub-optimal for guitar use. in particular people complain they sound 'tin-like', tight, and lack low-end. but there are definitely better speakers out there than others, depends on what you are looking for though.

i am unsure if i'd actually upgrade an 8 inch speaker. i'd be much more likely to maintain an old amp (like a supro or fender champ) by getting a new 8" speaker than to upgrade a more modern SS practice amp's speaker.

weber offers a variety of 8" speakers, usually modeled after older speakers from the 50's and 60's. celestion and eminence have one 8 inch speaker a piece.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ yeah you don't have a ton of options for 8" speakers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the amp is a worthless ROYTEK 20Watt. but its my first one. the impendance is unknown.
run a DVOM across the terminal speaker in ohms (omega character) see what the number and it wil proably bea few ohms lower than what you have.

if i saw 14ohms for example you would want a 16ohm speaker.

gumbi really knows his shit. probably knows the most about speakers here on a regular basis.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kitarmen
the amp is a worthless ROYTEK 20Watt. but its my first one. the impendance is unknown.

There are several ways to polish a turd. I still have one of the very first headphone amps, modded with different value capacitors and a 9v clip to cut down on weight and expensive AA batteries. There's something about the tone and a couple of the effects that I can't reproduce with anything else.

Another idea would be to find or build a 1x12, 2x12, or even a 4x12 cabinet. as Mr. Trashed mentioned, you can use a multimeter set to ohms to find out the impedance. Most likely you will be able to run an 8 ohm load, which most guitar speakers are. There are plenty of used "vintage" speakers on ebay that will make any cheap amp sound better, just don't fall for the "vintage" prices - they were not worth that new.
hello, i measured 7,5 Ohms. I guess that 8 Ohm speaker would work well. I have a question. i didnt remove the speaker from the amp. so i measured the speaker soldered on the amp. is that ok?
I like my Jensen C8R. It handles everything pretty well at bedroom TV levels.
At higher volumes it's only good for clean and slightly overdriven tones, though.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Weber 8" are quality speakers that will make a sweet old tube amp sound sweet again. I'm not sure spending $80 on a Weber will help the Roytek much though. Is money better spent on a more musical small amp?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY