Hey everyone,

So I've finally got all of the pieces I need to set up and dial in a sick tone for my rig, minus a few cables. Right now I'm running:

LTD EC-1000 w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey American Made 5150 head
MESA Oversize cab
Line 6 wireless > Boss TU-3 > ProTone DeadHorse OD > Head > FX Send > MXR m108 > Boss DD-7 > Boss NS-2 > FX Return

I'm going to be experimenting with some new settings to try to find the best. I know you should always go rig > OD > EQ, but I was just wondering if anyone has a similar set up, knows a good place to start, just general direction and advise. I've never had to dial in anything this extensive before and am excited to learn.

I also need to be able to switch between a dirty and cleanish sound for a few songs, but I'm not sure how to go about that since I've heard an OD sounds best through the rhythm channel for dirt.

Thanks everyone! I know this is a pretty common situation and gear and I've been reading forum after forum, but you've gotta start somewhere! I'm looking for a good overall tone since we have heavy/breakdown stuff, cleans, leads, etc... Not just one solid sound straight through.
Im still working out how to tapdance my OD pedal on/off with switching the channel from crunch to clean at the same time on my 5150ii.

But my pedal order is the same as yours except ive got the noise gate at the end of my front pedal chain.

Dialing in your tone is pretty simple.
Stick all the EQ/gain/presence/Resonance at noon then tweek from there.
When you have found your sound, stick the EQ on and just fine tune it.
I can post a pic of my eq that gives me a Parkway drive kinda sound if that helps..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Amp pre 4.5, low 6.5 , mid 4, high 6, presence 6, resonance 7. OD gain lowest, volume ~75%. EQ pedal to taste.
Quote by Carrot
Im still working out how to tapdance my OD pedal on/off with switching the channel from crunch to clean at the same time on my 5150ii.

But my pedal order is the same as yours except ive got the noise gate at the end of my front pedal chain.

Dialing in your tone is pretty simple.
Stick all the EQ/gain/presence/Resonance at noon then tweek from there.
When you have found your sound, stick the EQ on and just fine tune it.
I can post a pic of my eq that gives me a Parkway drive kinda sound if that helps..

Turn the OD off a few notes before you need to switch channels. No one notices the boost is gone for the last second, then you transition smoothly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Turn the OD off a few notes before you need to switch channels. No one notices the boost is gone for the last second, then you transition smoothly

Why didnt i think of that..
I was prepared to spend money on a looper thing that i can program all my pedals into aha
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The best money I've spent this past year was buying a Moen GEC9 switcher.

It cost me $300 CAD shipped. It makes things so much easier. Their are enough banks for me to program presets for a whole show.

I know its not completely necessary, but my band plays to a click track and sometimes backing tracks, so it really helps me concentrate on keeping perfect time, rather than thinking about how I'm going to tap 3 pedals on before we switch to the chorus
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
put the amp EQ setting on 6,6,6,

Please tell me you just said this because he's playing metal
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Please tell me you just said this because he's playing metal

this isn't a metal joke but a pretty standard method for setting tone. I do exactly this and then fiddle til it's perfect.
yeah some people say 7,7,7 specifically too on the 6505/5150s

Dylan - you've never heard that about the 5150s/6505+ series. It IS kind of an inside joke on those amps but in reality 6/10 makes a lot of sense. It certainly does not need its mids cranked

I mean 1 o'clock across the EQ spectrum is very normal is all I was saying and then without something elaborate you are going to have to do SOME tap dancing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
put the amp EQ setting on 6,6,6,
pre on 5
post on 2

and go from there

as far as cleans I'd scoop the EQ pedal and add in a chorus pedal in the loop

311. How in the hell did you edit your post at exactly 3:11 ?? You 're good man, really good.
Start with the tone controls at noon (sometimes I will start with all at 0 instead), all pedals off. Adjust in order; mids, bass then treble.
Then move onto the pedals and tweak those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification