Alright, so, I've bbeen wanting to record for a long time now. Never had the money to do it the way Iwwanted to. I just bought an amp. It was cheaper then I thought, so my tax return can be used for recording equipment. Including a pc. Because I don't have one. So, back to my question. How much for adecent pc to record on? Budget should be around $1200. That's including interface, daw, all that. Thanks in advance.
DAW: Reaper, $60
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, $200
With that out of the way, you've got about $900, which should buy you a good enough computer. You'll need plenty of hard disk space for storing raw uncompressed audio, and enough RAM to run plugins (and samplers, if you'll be using a drum machine or any half-decent keyboards). Shoot for 8GB. The CPU isn't as important, since using an interface and ASIO will take some of the pressure off of it for real-time processing. And don't bother with the sound card, your interface replaces it.
Edit: i clicked on the wrong thing, sorry.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 18, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Get a decent computer, and it most likely will do.
I personally recommend some 16GB, 1TB fusion drive equivalent and an i7 4970, or any i7 actually.

Get the DAW you like most.
If you don't have any experience look around, download the trial of Live, Studio One, Reaper and so on.
Then, if you don't need to record a lot of stuff at a time the 2i4 will be fine.
You wanna play guitar through the amp?
And if that's the case, do you also need to fit microphones in that budget?

Yes, I do plan on micing my cab.
Do you need to fit microphones in that budget?
Will you be mixing your own stuff?
Do you need to fit audio monitors in that budget?
Do you need to fit a computer screen in that budget?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
[quoti="Spambot_2"]Do you need to fit microphones in that budget?
Will you be mixing your own stuff?
Do you need to fit audio monitors in that budget?
Do you need to fit a computer screen in that budget?

Yes, I need microphones.

Yes, I'll he mixing it myself.

What is the point of monitor speakers?

Yes, need a monitor as well.
1. Get an SM57 for the dirt cheapest you can find
2. Aaaight, well then you'll probably want audio monitors to do a good job
3. They should have a flat frequency response, so you hear your audio without any coloration and stuff, therefore you can mix it to sound good on most stuff.
If you mixed it with bass-hyping bose computer speakers and no experience you'd probably make the thing too high heavy, and if you use cheap earbuds you'll make the thing too bass heavy.
4. Get an Asus VH236H from amazon
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The used marked for computers can get you stuff for cheap, cheap, cheap. You shouldn't need to spend any more than about $300 on a ready-to-go desktop.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-desktop-computers-Acer-desktop-computer-great-deal-W0QQAdIdZ560125517

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-desktop-computers-Nice-Dual-Core-system-180-5-4-out-of-7-9-W0QQAdIdZ559869304
(lacking in RAM, but at less than $200, you could easily add some and come out ahead)

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-desktop-computers-Asus-Intel-Quad-Core-computer-300-W0QQAdIdZ560275988

All three of those are every bit as good as (or better) than what I am running.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Kinda old stuff.
I'd advise finding some offers at your local computer store instead of buying used PCs which, compared to what you can get for a bit more these days, aren't really good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Kinda old stuff.

That's kinda my point! For really cheap, you can get a computer that will be sufficient for most audio recording needs. Back in the day, you needed a beast to keep up, but not anymore.

My computer runs Win7 (32 bit) and Cubase 7. It's a dual-core 3.2 Ghz dual core (might be slower than that, but it is dual core) with 4 GB of DDR2 ram. (on a 32-bit system, only about 3.25GB is accessible anyways)

It bogs down with a lot of VST instruments, but just basic audio recording, I can record 16 tracks of audio simultaneously while playing back 16 others - all at 24-bit/44.1. I have projects where the track count has been upwards to 36 tracks. No problem.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by jaspervdv
A book/guide thing i've got suggest a:
-quad core processor
-8GB RAM

I would recommend this if you are using a lot of VSTi's / samplers, etc.

My computer *really* doesn't seem to like adding Drum Mic'a to a project with about six other VSTi's.

CT

My macbook works fine with 30 and so on tracks, all with software instruments and plugins, that's not really my point.

I'd say he should get something better because there's better value for newer stuff, and the new stuff is technologically plain better when talking about efficiency.
Bills have to be paid too :P

And he may want to do something processor heavy one day.
Maybe not tomorrow, but I wouldn't get a computer with an intel pentium whatsoever.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I honestly didn't know about Kijiji. I never thought there was a used market for computers. I can try looking at computer specs, but to no avail. I don't know what any of it means. So, let's take this computer for example.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Fusion_APU_Configurator/

Can this do what were all talking about? If not, what should be changed? Thank you all for the replies.
Quote by Spambot_2

And he may want to do something processor heavy one day.

Fair point.

Quote by Spambot_2

I'd say he should get something better because there's better value for newer stuff, and the new stuff is technologically plain better when talking about efficiency.
Bills have to be paid too :P

I don't know about better value. I mean, that $600 computer you buy today shows up a year later for $300. Technology moves so fast that, by the time you get the damned thing home, it's practically obsolete.

Sure, the newer stuff is better, for the same reason. It comes down to balancing what you want with what you need within a budget. If I can get what I need for $200, I can't really justify paying $600.

Bills have to be paid, y'know. :P

CT

Quote by Tylander
I honestly didn't know about Kijiji. I never thought there was a used market for computers. I can try looking at computer specs, but to no avail. I don't know what any of it means. So, let's take this computer for example.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Fusion_APU_Configurator/

Can this do what were all talking about? If not, what should be changed? Thank you all for the replies.

Looks like it would be more than adequate. Basically, it has more than twice the power and twice the memory as what I am using.

Now, being picky (and if I was laying out $500, I would be....), I see three possible upgrades.

1. I don't see a firewire port. Depending on your interface, you might wish you had this. Or not. Depends.

2. 350w power supply.... might be on the low end of ideal - especially if you want to add various USB peripherals to it. Upgrade to 400W maybe?

3. It only has a single hard drive. Ideally, you want to record audio to a second physical drive - not just a second partition.

Kijiji is just the go-to for used stuff in our area. Not much going on Craiglist by comparison. However.... point made about the used market.

CT

So, you've added about an extra $68?

Or did you get a solid-state drive? That's what I'd do, for the extra $20 - get the 550/500 solid state drive. They're way faster than any SATA drive, though you need to expect a shorter life span. 64GB is plenty big enough, as you'll have looooooads of space on your "system" hard drive for storing stuff. 64GB will allow you to have about a dozen projects on the go before having to store them elsewhere.

CT

Okay.... sorry. Wrong terminology.

Solid State vs. HDD....

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Okay.... sorry. Wrong terminology.

Solid State vs. HDD....

CT

Ah, gotcha. Thank you kindly for talking me through this. I really appreciate it. Also, do I need a firewire port? I plan on using a focusrite interface.
Which interface, specifically? It will either be USB or Firewire. USB is more popular, however, my interface is FW.

It just depends on what kind of connectivity the manufacturer puts on whatever model.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Which interface, specifically? It will either be USB or Firewire. USB is more popular, however, my interface is FW.

It just depends on what kind of connectivity the manufacturer puts on whatever model.

CT

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. Unless, you know of a better one.
Quote by Tylander
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. Unless, you know of a better one.

there's always something better, but for your situation and price it's perfect.

Firewire has it's advantages, especially if you want to chain multiple devices, but a usb works just as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
That one is USB.

CT