Hi guys,

Forgive me for this, if it is a stupid question. I am still a newb to the guitar. i have noticed that a lot of tutorial videos demonstrating most songs that i want to play, use a capo. I don't currently own a capo. I know the sound quality probably won't be the exact same if i were to play the song without the capo but i was wondering if the capo is really needed?

Thanks
The capo will put it in the correct key.

You can transpose the song so that it is in a key that will suit an open tuning but you won't be able to play along to the song as you are learning. If you plan on singing then it may not be in a good key for singing.

But yes you can play it in open tuning or with the capo on any other fret.

You should grab a capo though. You may not use it everyday but they are useful to have. If you have some innovation you could probably find a way to make one.
Si
Try using a pencil and some rubber bands.
Personally, I use transposition.
You really should learn barre chords. If you rely on a capo, you'll never improve. Capos are useful for some things such as capturing a certain timbre in a song. But really... ffs
The use of a Capo is not for avoiding barre chords. You need them no matter what key a song is in but the sound of an acoustic guitar is characterized by its open strings and they way they ring out from one chord change to the next. Have a look at songwriters that write and perform primarily on acoustic and you'll see and hear them use the capo AND a mix of open, partial barres and barre chords. Yes, you need a capo if you own an acoustic guitar and are learning acoustic guitar songs.

Good luck with your studies and practice cloud360!
Quote by cloud360
Hi guys,

Forgive me for this, if it is a stupid question. I am still a newb to the guitar. i have noticed that a lot of tutorial videos demonstrating most songs that i want to play, use a capo. I don't currently own a capo. I know the sound quality probably won't be the exact same if i were to play the song without the capo but i was wondering if the capo is really needed?

Thanks

Not if you don't want it to sound like the original.

Best,

Sean
Quote by mdc
You really should learn barre chords. If you rely on a capo, you'll never improve. Capos are useful for some things such as capturing a certain timbre in a song. But really... ffs

This is pretty wrong. I use capos as an artistic choice, and use them on both electric and acoustic guitars. They are especially useful for quick transposition if you have a singer who changes the key on you or if you would like certain strings to ring out.

For example I have a song which is capo'd on the second fret and uses this:

X

Would you prefer to play it like this MDC?

X
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A capo is always a good tool to have. Especially if you play on singing, it just makes everything easier due to the fact that chords are usually much simpler with the use of a capo. If you don't want to make one, as others have said, putting a pen on the desired fret and then putting rubber bands around it, that'll be a good enough capo, but I highly suggest buying one eventually, they never exceed 20 dollars.
^^^ I've never tried the rubber band technique - sounds interesting. The capos I prefer - G7 Performance capos regularly clock in over $20. Perhaps a bit of overkill but I like that they don't have protuding shapes that get in the way of my fretting hand.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies! Hmm, it seems i may have to purchase a capo in the future. I will defo look into it. I kinda understand it's role, now. Never really did, before.

Thanks guys!