I get the appeal of noiseless pickups or noise supressors, really I do. But sometimes there's nothing like a little bit of 'hiss' on a strat to bring it alive. I'm not talking about some huge buzz or whatever, but if you go into a large overdrive/fuzz level and you can't handle a bit of noise.. Sometimes clean is too clean if you get what I mean. For me, lots of classic records have a bit of dirt, mistakes, or a certain kind of rawness to it soundwise. It makes it seem more alive. Certainly live a too 'clean' (not talking about actual clean, even distorted) sound can distract rather than make it better

I'm not dissing anyone that uses pedals or other ways to remove noise, I just wanted to start a discussion I guess haha.
Well typically that super tight suppression is needed in modern metal. The last thing you want in a tight metal riff is some extraneous noise gobbing up the works.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Because crisp, clear notes are better than hissy, noisy notes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by VincentLauw
I get the appeal of noiseless pickups or noise supressors, really I do. But sometimes there's nothing like a little bit of 'hiss' on a strat to bring it alive. I'm not talking about some huge buzz or whatever, but if you go into a large overdrive/fuzz level and you can't handle a bit of noise.. Sometimes clean is too clean if you get what I mean. For me, lots of classic records have a bit of dirt, mistakes, or a certain kind of rawness to it soundwise. It makes it seem more alive. Certainly live a too 'clean' (not talking about actual clean, even distorted) sound can distract rather than make it better

I'm not dissing anyone that uses pedals or other ways to remove noise, I just wanted to start a discussion I guess haha.

when most younger guitarists start playing, the tone in their head is usually highly distorted and a possibly dropped tuned instrument. these younger guitarists are usually pretty liberal in their use of distortion in order to achieve the sounds they want. this is a recipe for excessive noise.

no, not a little buzz or hum, more like a pig dying a grizzly death. so noise gates, noise suppressors and active pickups grew more popular in these realms. and as anyone knows, if a bit of noise suppression is good for these players then it doesn't take much to make them believe that no noise would be ideal.

but, i think your observation that 'people are obsessed/bent on noise reduction' is a bit skewed. yes, there are plenty of people who rely on noise suppressors but i am willing to gambit that the population of guitarists using a noise suppressor is actually a vast minority. for example, i am willing to bet more people own tube screamers than own a noise suppressor and i am further willing to bet that far less than 1/2 of the guitarist population owns a tube screamer (but maybe more than 1/2 may own some variant).

but yes, there is a part of the guitarist population who may be a little hung up on noise suppression, and i believe these people are motivated by personal taste, tone preferences, and possibly a bit of targeted manipulation. the manipulation may take advantage of some possibly poor tonal decision (the use of too much gain for example).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^this.

Tone is all subjective, just because you think there is a too clean doesn't mean other people don't dig that sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
ok I agree to a small degree with the original post. I love 60s and 70s hard rock/metal and yes some of that has a bit of noise and imperfection to it. a little noise never hurt anyone but if it gets to be a bit much then it gets in the way of the sound. having said that I try to keep the noise to a minimum when playing my strats (or use lace sensors to remove most of the noise).
Once you start cranking your amp up to drummer volumes those little noises turn into an unbearable raging cacophony.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It kind of depends on how you define 'noise' too it seems.

I mean if the unwanted noise, feedback, hissing, etc that subtracts from your tone an pisses you off that's one thing. If it someing deliberate, like Page or Hendrix would do or maybe a punk song, then sure --- noise away
Quote by Cathbard
Once you start cranking your amp up to drummer volumes those little noises turn into an unbearable raging cacophony.

This is so true. I want to hear every individual string and when you have hissing noisy equipment you can't.