I have not played for long but i'm starting to get an idea of what i think i like:

I like a larger radius fretboard. Strat 9,5 is too small. Les paul 12 feels better to me.
I like a thinner, wider neck.
I like a solid feel. Weight doesn't bother me too much.
I don't like the les paul body shape too much. Prefer a bit of a contour like the strat's got.

I tried a bunch today at the guitar center. My favorite so far was a PRS wide and thin neck. Forget much about it but it was in that 700 dollar price range. There was a santana version right next to it that had a fatter neck that i didn't particularly like.

They also had one of these and i liked this one quite a bit:
http://www.prsracing.net/prs-trophy-guitars-commemorate-grand-am-rolex-race-winners/

So maybe PRS is my type of guitar but i'd be happy to hear about other possibilities. For example i forgot to ask for an SG. I tried an epiphone SG but it felt cheap and not particularly solid. Maybe a gibson would be better. I also liked telecaster more than i thought i would, but none as much as i liked that PRS.

In the used section there was a cheap schecter that i thought felt alright. Also an allender prs that felt nice and an ibanez that was interesting, but again not quite right.

So is there anything else i should look at?
Looks like a PRS SE of some manner will be your best bet...Especially in that price range.
an SG is a thought. you can find a decent used one for that price or a new of some of the lower end ones.
This is helpful guys. I forgot to mention that i like the hss pickup combo - which makes it super specific doesn't it?
look at charvel's then they have the compound radius necks and can be had with that pup configuration. they have a new import series that s getting ood reviews or you can look for a used American made one (the new fender made ones is what I'm talking about)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2014,
That fernandes retrorocket pro is listed at 1400 but is on sale for 350. Is that a mega super sale or is it like those chinese watches that are perpetually marked down from 4000 dollars down to 200?

I have no idea how i can find one of those to check out. Looks pretty tempting.

Carvins? G&L Invader?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Jan 18, 2014,
The Fernandes Retrorocket has been on sale at that price only recently- it usually goes for closer to $600-700. As I recall, it's MiK.

Fernandes started selling a limited number of guitars on their website at deep discounts in December. It would not surprise me to find some dealers following suit, but most are still showing @$600.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2014,