There was a guy in my course that started with 29. He had studied music first and tried his hand at teaching music. It wasn't for him, he's not good with kids, and that episode ended with having a kid throwing a chair at him.

So he wanted to change careers and went on the same course as me.

Cool guy, but he seemed to feel the difference in ages. At 29, I don't think he felt "cool" hanging out with 18 year olds. But he kept his eyes on passing exams so that he may get a job.

In second year he had a breakdown during a night out. He confessed to a coursemate that he felt like a loser for being 30 years old, not having a job, living in his parent's house in a room, not renting or having a mortgage, and having 5 more years in front of him before he could start saving money. That guy was depressed.

At the end of the year, he dropped out. Nobody had heard of him.

Until now.

His sister had died unexpectedly, he had a change of heart, and now he travels through different countries playing violin on the streets. Apparently he makes good money that way. Or at least, enough to make do.

Dunno about you guys, but that sounds amazing. Travelling the world, playing music, having money thrown at you. No wife, no kids, no mortgage, no responsibility. I'd love to do the same if I had nothing to lose.

Anyone else have similar fantasies?
I keep hoping that someday my life will become Castaway, except i'll never leave the island.
Sail upon the open skies
There was a story I heard on the radio a while back about a lady who just up and left her kids, husband, and job, and much like that guy, just went off of the grid. She changed her name and got hooked on some form of hard drug, which I don't recommend, but it was a wild story.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
To be fair he could just go and get another teaching job in a school where kids don't throw chairs...

Agreed. But he really didn't have much patience, not even with us.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
To be fair he could just go and get another teaching job in a school where kids don't throw chairs...

The kid probably threw the chair at him because he was a huge dickbag.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I think I might just go off to China and teach English. Apparently they practically throw jobs at you if you're white.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Colgate Total
The kid probably threw the chair at him because he was a huge dickbag.

The teacher or the kid?

Even in the shittest of shit schools, the kids know that throwing furniture about is really serious and you shouldn't do it.

Even if this guy is an utter twat, he could go and work in a private school and have loads of lovely polite stepford kiddies who say "good morning, sir" and sit quietly and don't throw anything at anyone. That's what I would do if I got sick of state schools.

Last summer I dropped it on my Dad that I have these feelings too. I told him that I fantasize about leaving home and just living on the road and go wherever the road would take me.

He told me that I was a ****ing idiot and that it would never work because you don't live like that. He said i'd probably be found dead after a month.

So yeah....
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Even if this guy is an utter twat, he could go and work in a private school and have loads of lovely polite stepford kiddies who say "good morning, sir" and sit quietly and don't throw anything at anyone. That's what I would do if I got sick of state schools.

I don't think getting a teaching job is quite as easy as you think it is.
Quote by Nero Galon
Last summer I dropped it on my Dad that I have these feelings too. I told him that I fantasize about leaving home and just living on the road and go wherever the road would take me.

He told me that I was a ****ing idiot and that it would never work because you don't live like that. He said i'd probably be found dead after a month.

So yeah....

Read this book, it's about a guy called Chris McCandless, who did exactly that, and survived, eventually dumped his car and wandered off into Alaskan wilderness and survived out there for at least a year, but tragically died from eating some poisonous potato like plant.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer-ebook/dp/B005AV93JI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390090564&sr=8-2&keywords=into+the+wild
Really fascinated me when I was younger. My view of it is he may have done something reckless, maybe stupid even, and paid the price with his death, but who cares? From the sounds of it, he had a good time in those few years, followed his dream, and fulfilled it. Life doesn't mean that much personally without fulfillment or aims in my mind.
Quote by Nero Galon

So yeah....

yeah, being rich would be better than all that. I look forward to my days as a wealthy 40-something distinguished socialite bachelor casually dating women half my age and having a trendy coke habit.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jan 18, 2014,
When the comet hits we will all be "unplugged". but i can tell you i went to Korea to teach a few years ago. There really is no such thing as unplugging anymore. Skype, internet, skylab...
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
No because in the movie 'Into the Wild' it explains that if you try to do this then you get eaten by a bear.
Quote by chev311e
No because in the movie 'Into the Wild' it explains that if you try to do this then you get eaten by a bear.

Nope, his *whole* corpse was found in the back of the bus he'd been living in.

I often think in this way, I've actually been in contact with an organisation that allows you to go and live completely off the grid, with communities of people or families or whatever. You don't get a wage but I guess if it's your kinda thing, it's worth the lack of money.

I think if my world went to shit I'd go for it.
Quote by captainsnazz
was hoping this would be about 'unplugging' from society and being mgtow or something

Well, that's a soft version of unplugging.
I grew up on films like "The Wilderness Family". I frequently dream of having a unabomber shack.
Quote by Joshua1207
I don't think getting a teaching job is quite as easy as you think it is.

Lol.

It's not easy but you can do it if you're qualified and know your shit. Phillip's friend has the first bit done so would just need to brush up on the second for interview.
Quote by macashmack
I'd do this for maybe half a year, explore myself like Thoreau, and then come back.

gay.

just kidding.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
So you dream about being poor and homeless?

I would keep my house, rent it out, and use that money towards living. I'd be a homeless landlord.
the whimsical part of me yearns for it, actually. well, sort of. i'd love to spend years being a "citizen of the world," going anywhere and everywhere, just because those places are there. and not to tourist attractions. i mean actually exploring the world and its remote parts. it's a wonderful dream of a wonderful reality, depending on nobody but myself and random strangers for survival. working with the people so they'd feed me and put me up for a little while. camping in the jungle, and mountains, and prairies, and deserts, and plains. earn my keep with my talents. make friends all over the world, from the highest village in the Himalayas to the nomadic tribes of South America.

but, fortunately or unfortunately, i'm way too grounded to have any notion of that being even slightly real. odds are i'd soon die miserably and slowly. if an angel came to me and told me if i tried it, i would exit with no permanent damage, once i convinced myself the angel wasn't the product of drugs, i'd do it.

in the absence of such an angel, i'll finish my college education, get a well-paying job to pay off my debt and enable me to live independently, and then figure out what to do with my life.
I feel so conflicted right now.

On one hand I really want to tell people how twattish it is to think that you can just leave your life behind effortlessly like it's some sort of dinner choice and that it's just easy sailing and fairy tales after that.

On the other hand I want to see comrade Peppers believe all of the above and perhaps try to actually do it, thus quenching my sociopathic desire for amusement.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I feel so conflicted right now.

On one hand I really want to tell people how twattish it is to think that you can just leave your life behind effortlessly like it's some sort of dinner choice and that it's just easy sailing and fairy tales after that.

On the other hand I want to see comrade Peppers believe all of the above and perhaps try to actually do it, thus quenching my sociopathic desire for amusement.

I could. I'd have the money flow to make it a reality, I'd just rather work for ten plus years before I actually do it.
Im doing this on the 30th

Dropping pretty much all my shit and heading out with an anarcho folk collective, playing music and seeing the country. Were getting a short bus in north dakota then heading to new orleans for a while. Just a group of 8, our packs, instruments, and a few dogs of theirs. Luckily for me I can always come back and pick things up again, to an extent. Its gotta be tough once youre older
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by Philip_pepper
I could. I'd have the money flow to make it a reality, I'd just rather work for ten plus years before I actually do it.

Wait, you get to keep your money after unplugging? Shet, now I want to do it. I thought this was some homeless-fetish

I support you comrade Phillip.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Wait, you get to keep your money after unplugging? Shet, now I want to do it. I thought this was some homeless-fetish

I support you comrade Phillip.

YAY! Yeah, but my idea of unplugging is not taking on any debt, or paying it off, cut ties and just fvck off.