I've realized there's 2 different types of charvel so cals; the Japanese version with Dimarzio pups (tone zone and evo neck) and whatever charvel makes now with Duncan Distortions. I was trying out a Japanese one at a local shop and wished it had a recessed Floyd as opposed to a top mount. Do the models made currently have recessed trems? Also, besides the pups, are there any other differences?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Japanese ones were non-recessed. New Mexican ones are recessed. Besides pickups, no other differences.
Quote by FrankenStrat77
Japanese ones were non-recessed. New Mexican ones are recessed. Besides pickups, no other differences.

Do you figure/know if the overall neck feel is the same? I was digging it on the Japanese model. Also, one last unrelated question: Although the pickguard has 2 pups, do you know if/think the actual body routing underneath the pickguard would allow a single coil for an HSH setup?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 18, 2014,
If the neck profile isn't exactly the same as the Japanese one, it's going to be very close. And yes it's routed HSH so you can throw a single coil in there no problem.
some of the MIJ wildcards had recessed trems. if you really want an MIJ with a recessed trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The So Cal had Dimarzios and the San Dimas had Duncans other than that they are the same.

I have never seen a Charvel with a recessed FR so they must be a rare find
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I've realized there's 2 different types of charvel so cals; the Japanese version with Dimarzio pups (tone zone and evo neck) and whatever charvel makes now with Duncan Distortions. I was trying out a Japanese one at a local shop and wished it had a recessed Floyd as opposed to a top mount. Do the models made currently have recessed trems? Also, besides the pups, are there any other differences?

There's three types

They made them in the USA before they moved to Japan.

But yeah, as has been said the new Mexicans have recessed trems. I haven't played one though, so I can't say how they are.
Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to find the product page on charvel's website, and they list them with recessed trems. http://www.charvel.com/guitars//search.php?partno=2967000576. If you happen to see anything different from the previous models (other than pickups), let me know.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 19, 2014,
To my under standing the Duncan equipped ones had SH-4 in the bridge and the Dimarzio had the Super Distortion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
To my under standing the Duncan equipped ones had SH-4 in the bridge and the Dimarzio had the Super Distortion

I found in the reviews here that it was a Tone Zone/evo combo.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I found in the reviews here that it was a Tone Zone/evo combo.

In the older MIJ ones? I could be wrong
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah tone zone/evo- slightly weird combo for the type of tones most charvel fans want, i always thought. a super d/paf (or similar) would have been way cooler (and i'd probably have bought one had it had that combo).

i think the MIMs have floyd rose specials too? the MIJs and USA ones had frt-x000s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?