Hello There. I play in a trio blues band. I use a fender strat, and a les paul copy, with just an Overdrive pedal. I have a peavey studio I've been using for gigs with an extension for bigger shows. I'm tired of solid state sound and am looking to upgrade to tube. I know tube is about 5-7w louder then solid state, but I pretty much want a good recommendation for playing live. I have a limited budget, and I have no preferences. I've been considering a bugera V22, but would that really be enough to gig with? Note: I have a tube pre-amp I would run with my peavey. Would it really boost much if I run it with a tube amp? Or does it just help the tone? Thank you for any and all tips, suggestions, and opinions.
Are you being mic'ed at your gigs? In that case, just go with what sounds the best because you can gig with a 1 watt amp if you're getting mic'ed up and have monitors. Unmic'ed, keeping up with a full band it still depends, because it depends on if you what a truly clean sounding clean tone. I'd recommend at least 30 watts if you want a clean channel, if you're only using overdriven sounds than you can get away with 15-20.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I don't like to have guitar coming through the wedges which means I need enough to get over the drummer unaided (plus I use a lot of feedback) so I won't use anything under about 30 or 50W. I don't like to rely on foldback to hear myself. You can get away with a 20w tube amp in that situation if you don't need pristine cleans - unless your drummer is a spider monkey.
That's what determines what you need in the way of unaided power - how loud your drummer is. He's the person that sets the on stage volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Basically, wattage is related to volume, but it's more more related to headroom if that makes sense (although that's kinda getting into a tomato/tomato situation). A 30 watt amp won't be twice as loud as a 15 watt amp, but it will have more clean headroom available (meaning the volume level that you can hit and still have a clean signal).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
pretty much what these guys are saying

make your wattage decision more based on the amp tone you like, the size of the gigs you do, and the the PA situation at the places you play.

This is a very good read if you have time:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081

And if you are looking for a new amp we can help there but need 5 or 6 pieces of information from you that can be found in the Resources Sticky.

Welcome to UG

The Bugera V22 is a pretty nice piece of kit as is the Blues Jr. Both like speaker changes.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 18, 2014,
Size of the gig doesn't really matter a jot. Big or small, you have to match the drummer. In fact in the smaller venues you often have to play louder to get over the drummer. A drummer in a confined space is deafening - but you still have to get over him.
My drummer has different kits for different venues but that's pretty rare.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Listen to what the others have said regarding wattage.

On a related note, I played a V22 the other day. It was decent, but find a used Peavey Classic 30 or Blues Jr if you can. Much clearer, more natural sound. Something about the Bugera seemed a bit sterile.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Classic 30 is a great little amp. I'd gig with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I sometimes gig with a 20watt head and I have no problems at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I gig with 50W, but I could easily get away with 15-20 most places I play. I know a few good sound guys and that's a bonus for bigger/louder venues. As for an amp, for blues stuff I'd look at the blues junior, peavey classic 30, or the jet city jca22h. Speakers wise I'd be looking at Eminence Cannabis Rex, or The Wizard
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
i have gigged the 18w (1978X) that i built. sounds great. very dynamic and responsive amp.

classic 30's are nice amps.

if you want cleans at least 30. but the cleans may have dirt. all amps are a little different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for clarifying. For the record, I play with a clean channel that's about to break up, to get that nice overworked tone, and then use the OD to push it over for solos and such. And my drummer, well he has a volume control, he just like to play at 11...lol. Also, I'd say about 45% of the time, we are un-mic'ed