I already have a Super Distortion bridge in my S421. I'm trying to find something that might possibly complement that pickup. The S421 has a 5-way switch also if that helps figure things out. I play all kinds of tunings on this guitar but drop C would probably be most common on this guitar. I play this guitar a lot more seriously than my RG.

Styles I'm most likely going to use this for: melodic metalcore and groove

Now I know I should feel like I shouldn't otherwise bother with RG120, but instead I'm feeling experimental with it. I'm thinking of picking up a Crunchy Rails pickup but haven't decided on either neck or bridge position. I'm planning on making this guitar my muddier/grindier-sounding guitar and playing it in standard E/drop D (higher tuning has better tension on the cheap tremolo bridge) but using more lower-end effects.

Styles that I will probably use this for: industrial, thrash/groove, aggro/nu-metal.

Not sure what else to say about this. I just feel like looking into expanding my sound a bit.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

So, you're looking for a neck pickup for S421? Or both pups on both guitars?
Sorry if I was unclear about this but: Yes, I'm looking for a neck pickup for my S421 for sure. The RG120 will most likely get a Crunchy Rails pickup but I haven't figured out which position so I need to figure out something else I could put in there as well. Also, the RG only has a 3-way switch. Passive pickups only.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Jan 19, 2014,
Air Norton for the S421.

For the RG120, perhaps a DiMarzio X2N. Its actually a surprisingly good pickup, just ****ing crazy output.

I feel like DiMarzios are the best option for budget pickups. They are much cheaper than Duncans. I have a GFS set and I feel very "eh" about them. Not really worth that $20 you're saving IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
For the RG120, perhaps a DiMarzio X2N. Its actually a surprisingly good pickup, just ****ing crazy output.

I feel like DiMarzios are the best option for budget pickups. They are much cheaper than Duncans. I have a GFS set and I feel very "eh" about them. Not really worth that $20 you're saving IMO.

I hear ya on the X2N. It's just that I was Googling for "crunchy pickups" other than the Crunchlab and the Crunchy Rails came up and had some decent reviews but not too expensive. I don't feel like dropping a whole lot of money into pickups for the RG120.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

I like the Crunch Lab. I had a Crunchy Rails it wasn't great. GFS has a few sets of pick ups I really really like (Li'l Killers/Punchers Fat Pats and mean 90's) but the crunchy rail didn't do it for me.

But I have a Crunch Lab I really like it, its a really balanced pickup.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
I'll throw a line out for Irongear pups. I have one in my SG and I prefer it over the Duncans I've had. You could look at some of their higher output stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
To match the Super Distortion, I'd grab either the liquifire or illuminator neck. Basically just tighter/not muddy air nortons.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Hrm, Irongears don't appear to be too easy to come by in the US. I looked at a Dirty Torque at a retail in the UK and it looks like it would cost me $64 shipped. Maybe not a horrible price but I was hoping for a slightly more cost effective selection.

Right now I've come across what looks like a set of X2N power rail copies by Dragonfire. They don't seem to have as high of output as the Crunchy Rails. They go for only $35 on eBay for both neck and bridge set. I was thinking about trying those out.

Like I said, not looking to drop too much money on this (for my RG120 that is).
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Jan 19, 2014,
Dragonfire is shit AFAIK.

GFS is a safe bet.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X