Where is the primary source of information regarding the law in the UK?

e.g. If I wanted to represent myself in court (I don't want to, I'm just curious) where could I go to find out about the law?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by genghisgandhi
scotland has their own legal system separate from the UK

just read relevant statutes to whatever you got busted for.

Where? Like, is there a library where all this stuff is kept?

EDIT: Where do lawyers get there information from? Know what I'm saying?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Jan 19, 2014,
They buy the lawbooks. You could also try the library of the law faculty of your nearest university if they let you borrow stuff. Also, defending yourself in a court whithout any juridic knowledge is actually forbidden as far as I know. But I think the system in the UK and in the US is very different compared to Europe, so I have no idea.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Malchius
The systems between the US and UK are very different.

Don't they both have something called common law? For all I know, in order to practice law in the UK you can study whatever you want and then do a conversion course, while in mainland europe you need to study for 4-5 years and then still do a year of work at the court. This suggests that the systems are pretty different

EDIT: Yeah, UK and US both have common law while Europe has Civil law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Last edited by clegtr at Jan 19, 2014,
Quote by genghisgandhi

Thanks.

And no, I'm not in trouble. I'm training to be an adviser at Citizens Advice and was learning basics about the law in Scotland, but it got me wondering "Where are they getting all this from? And where does the source they get it from get it from"
Quote by neidnarb11890