Hey all, I've finally progressed enough that I felt the need to upgrade to a better guitar. Now that I have, the weight of the guitar seems to bother my left shoulder. Is this something I will get used to? Picking them up side by side they seem pretty close in weight.

If it matters I went from using the Squire Infinity HSS to the Epiphone Custom Pro. I'm hoping its just a matter of getting used to the different design.

Thanks in advance.
ummm i have a seperated shoulder and play an 8 string that is VERY heavy. the trick to this is making sure the strap is comfortable. Buckethead had this strap that was almost elastic it could stretch and beleive it or not it worked wonders for me. if that dosent work you should probably find a thick strap that covers more of the shoulder so the weight isnt pinching one part of it hope this helps
oh and i forgot itf its your left shoulder that you fret with. it could be the angle you grip your guitar and you could be hurting your shoulder even more. you should be VERY careful because you can permantly damage things with repetitive movement like guitar playing if you have an injury like that . physio helped me alot
Quote by DrRockz0
ummm i have a seperated shoulder and play an 8 string that is VERY heavy. the trick to this is making sure the strap is comfortable. Buckethead had this strap that was almost elastic it could stretch and beleive it or not it worked wonders for me. if that dosent work you should probably find a thick strap that covers more of the shoulder so the weight isnt pinching one part of it hope this helps

Quote by DrRockz0
oh and i forgot itf its your left shoulder that you fret with. it could be the angle you grip your guitar and you could be hurting your shoulder even more. you should be VERY careful because you can permantly damage things with repetitive movement like guitar playing if you have an injury like that . physio helped me alot

+1

A decent strap and watching your posture should sort it out really quick but if the pain persists then definitely go and see a health professional.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thank you both and found both to be correct. I did figure out what the problem was. First, I did forget to mention the guitar strap. The strap I use is a comfortable suede/leather. I was subconsciously trying to hold the Epiphone the same as I did the Infinity Strat "prob looked dorky". The good news is it doesn't seem to be habitual and an easy, comfortable transition.
Yea you got it!.. "residual muscle memory" can really screw up muscles & joints. There is often a small amount of postural constant tension, & you aren't even aware of it. I had an Ibanez as-80, great guitar but headstock heavy..very! I ultimately decided to not gig with it because the headstock was always diving for the floor. But most of the time, the unrealized low grade tension will make you HURT & fairly common when changing primary guitars~!