I posted a thread Friday about my new Kustom 36 Coupe I picked up at a local pawn shop.

There's obviously something going on with it. Everything I play sounds really trebly, and I can't dial it out. If it turn the treble down, it gets farty, if I turn it up, fizzy. There's no middle-ground.

I've tried determining the amp's age with the serial no. online, but I can't find any good information.

In my last thread, everyone recommended I swap tubes and change out the stock speaker - which I plan on doing.

My question though; can old tubes really affect this amp's tone THAT much? Could it be something else?

I was thinking filter caps, but the amp doesn't look THAT old.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Yeah old tubes can make a amazing amp sound like shit.

Cap could be a cause, but I'd go with tubes first
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah old tubes can make a amazing amp sound like shit.

Cap could be a cause, but I'd go with tubes first

Yeah, I planned on trying new tubes first - I just don't see how the tubes could have this much of an impact on my sound.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Old worn out tubes do not function at the proper levels that they are soposed to. Since they are part of the tone stack, do the deductive reasoning. If your car has old spark-plugs and air filter, it will run. But it will not run properly or as good as it would with new plugs and filter.

Also bad power tubes can muddy or fart out. trust me swap the tubes. If you don't like it then take the new tube out and sell the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You should have asked to test the amp before buying it, to avoid getting ripped off. And just don't buy from places that don't let you test the gear you're buying. Not that swapping the tubes is a particularly difficult fix, but if it's not the tubes, it'll probably be much harder to track down the problem, and much more likely that you got ripped off.