Hey guys so im designing my room and i want my combo amp under my desk and i want it to be raised from the floor so i can slide my pedal board under it. will there be a problem with my raising the amp like say if it rests on a a little wood platform of sorts?
Not as long as it is sturdy enough. Don't want it to topple/fall on your toes or pedals.
WTLTL 2011
Yeah, unless you're stupid enough to put it on something that will break, there's no problem of any sort.

Are you sure you want it under your desk though?
The desk itself will make the sound more directional so it may sound a bit funny.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ye actually there could potentially be a problem. Have you considered that if you raise your amp it will be a few inches higher above the ground? As in, instead of it resting on the floor it will now stand on a wooden platform of some sort. And there will be some space under it. But I don't know if it will be safe to slide your pedal in it. I suggest you should wear safety goggles and a helmet, just to be sure.
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, unless you're stupid enough to put it on something that will break, there's no problem of any sort.

Are you sure you want it under your desk though?
The desk itself will make the sound more directional so it may sound a bit funny.

will it really make that big if a difference in sound?
Well; the sound will now be directly in your face, but most people do not think that is a problem. Whenever I gigged with a 2x12" combo, I put it on an amp stand that raised it about 20 inches off of the floor and tilted it back at a slight angle. I found it worked better than putting it on the floor. As others have said, just make sure that whatever you use (or build) is sturdy enough to handle the weight of the amp, as well as the vibrations. Some combos (like my Carvin MTS 2x12" 100-watt tube combo w/ spring reverb) weigh a freaking ton!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well the amp is going to be raised about 5 inches off the ground so i don't think the in your face thing is a problem but i will make sure to put it on something sturdy. Thanks for the help guys
^ guys, the problem's not the amp's height, the problem's the fact that if you have your amp under a desk the sound will not be able to come to you through the desk, so you'll have to put your head
1. under the desk, or
2. far enough from the desk
to properly hear what you're playing.

So if you're sitting on a chair placed right in front of the desk it's not like you would get an "in your face sound" - you would get the exact opposite: the sound coming to you after it was reflected from walls and stuff in your room.

The in your face thing is actually a good thing if you ask me.
You don't really get an in your face effect from a focused sound, you just get a more focused sound which is in my opinion, better in general.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 20, 2014,