Ive been looking around and have found very few settings for these two albums. I would really really love it if I could find them. Im using a Line 6 Spider Jam and a Boss Metal Zone with a Epiphone 1984 explorer with EMGs. Please help!
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Ive been looking around and have found very few settings for these two albums. I would really really love it if I could find them. Im using a Line 6 Spider Jam and a Boss Metal Zone with a Epiphone 1984 explorer with EMGs. Please help!

First mistake is a Spider and a Boss Metal Zone pedal, you're not going to sound like Metallica with those two items.

Metallica have used tons of amps over the years. I think they use Mesa's now though, but I'm not sure. I'd wait for someone knowledgeable on Metallica to come in as I'm not sure.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah I know those two things suck. Im thinking about getting a Bugera 333xl. Ive tried a Metal Muff, dont like it either.
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Yeah I know those two things suck. Im thinking about getting a Bugera 333xl. Ive tried a Metal Muff, dont like it either.

Not sure a Bugera 333XL would do those tones to be honest, it would do Metal though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Kirk uses Randall amps and James uses Diezel and Mesa stuff. Or they do live anyway. I know they're fans of Marshall stuff in the studio. But those tones are very different and the black album tone was very carefully manipulated in the studio with various mic and cabinet setups and equalization. However I believe they mostly used Mesa mark series amps with some Marshall gear for that album.
Quote by samuel-hepfer

Its not necessary the pedals, its the amp. It doesnt matter how good the pedals are if they are run through shit amp (or just amp that doesnt take pedals well) and shit speaker(s) the result equals shit.

Bugera 333xl should be a huge improvement though be mindful of Bugeras quality control issues.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by FrankenStrat77
Kirk uses Randall amps and James uses Diezel and Mesa stuff. Or they do live anyway. I know they're fans of Marshall stuff in the studio. But those tones are very different and the black album tone was very carefully manipulated in the studio with various mic and cabinet setups and equalization. However I believe they mostly used Mesa mark series amps with some Marshall gear for that album.

Yup, Kirk is using the soon-to-be-released Randall 667, James uses a Mesa Triaxis with a Diezel VH4 as a poweramp. The heart of their sound since Master of Puppets has been the Mesa Mark IIC+.

I'd say that if you're willing to get a new amp at some point, a Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus 1x12 could get you fairly close.

Good luck!